Modding a Trek Tricorder

Tin Man

if a character picks up a tricorder and wants to include it on his character sheet how would you do it. Based on the series it can detect and analyse almost anything! Is there a simpler way than just adding every sense to the sheet? what can be done to simplify it and even reduce the cost?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Modding a Trek Tricorder

I have a mystic version of a Tricorder written up and included in my thread on The Five.

Just get rid of the Mystic aspects and replace them with powers and skills you think are appropriate for your game, then buy the Tricorder as if it were any other portable computer in a game where points are paid for equipment. Cost/5, then the focus limit if any. An OAF 350 point Tricorder will cost the character 35 points.

Plot Device.

Or KS: Things the GM wants you to know, 18-

Seriously, it's a plot device even within the show. It's entire purpose is to give the audience key plot exposition. If Star Trek characters were RPG characters they wouldn't go the bathroom without a tricorder in one hand and a drawn Phaser Type II in the other.

Keith "Hey Mr. GM! Can I buy them Linked somehow?" Curtis

Plot Device.

Or KS: Things the GM wants you to know, 18-

Seriously, it's a plot device even within the show. It's entire purpose is to give the audience key plot exposition.

Wow, so true. How often does the tricorder not give proper readings due to atmospheric conditions, strange metal or rocks, energy fields, etc. The GM was making it pretty clear when a quality tricorder reading would screw up his whole scenario...good stuff. :thumbup:

Well there is a certain amount of skill in using a tricorder. There were a few episodes where 20th century humans as well as other aliens could not figure out a tricorder or a phaser. Not figure out a phasor? Don't you just (set stun or kill) point and shoot? Come on!

Seen this yesterday soon after it was initially posted and thought about it. Then I saw Keith's post about it being a plot device and I have to agree with that for the TV series.

But several random thoughts about the tricorder modeling came to mind.

1. Often it took time for the tricorder operator to figure out what the reading was.
  2. It took time for the tricoder to take its reading
  3. The FASA Startrek RPG stated that there where three types of tricorders (not verified by any other source I have seen)
  4. Personal thought is that the tricorder is an extension of the scanner tech used by the transporter (Another Dues Ex Machina tool in ST)

With this list I come up with Detect Energy, Analyze Energy, Detect Matter, Analyze Matter, Detect Life, Analyze Life. All 360 degree with nRay sense adder (Stoppable by force fields and rare alloys) Extra time (1 Minute or more). Requires Operation Systems roll and specific Science skill roll.

In ST:TOS Spock, McCoy or the other user did some the analyst of the results. In ST:TNG The tricorder seem to have a communication link to the main ship computer and was able to provide some of the analyst. (Mind Link:Ships computer)

So That is my take on a tricorder (actual number crunch is up to reader)

I love Keith Curtis' suggestion for a Tricorder ROFL :D . I've come to realize Hero can be as complicated or as simple as you make it, and there's ten ways to do everything.

Also, Tinman, if you're interested, send me an e-mail at oryanfactor1@yahoo.com , I have a whole PDF of Hero Trek, which, of course, includes Tricorders.

oryan

PS, Keep in mind at 250 pages, it will be an 8k beast.