dcv

steph

this situation have make a long discussion around the table....................ok my partner is attack by a warrior who make a sweep axes attack........the warrior got a speed of 3 (4,8,12) and a dcv of 6 he have done this sweep attack at segment 8..............so is dcv gonna be 3 till the segment 12 at is phase.......but my assassin stab him in segment 9 with sneak surprise attack.........the question are : is dcv is already halved 3 but with my attack is dcv are again halved ?

hope i am clear

english not my first language

steph

Re: dcv

That's how I would play it. With an adjusted DCV of 3, halving it again would give you 2 (round up for players), so it's not too bad.

This may not be the book-answer, though. I didn't check my references before posting.

Back in 4th Edition, for the sake of fast math and speeding up combat a bit (admittedly, just a bit), I decided that two halvings makes a Zero. I figured, if you're Stunned and Blind, or Stunned and Prone, or Blind and Prone, or whatever ... you're pretty much hosed.

Back in 4th Edition' date=' for the sake of fast math and speeding up combat a bit (admittedly, just a bit), I decided that two halvings makes a Zero. I figured, if you're Stunned and Blind, or Stunned and Prone, or Blind and Prone, or whatever ... you're pretty much hosed.[/quote']

Thats pretty much what I've done in the few situations it has come up in - you are a hex: DCV 0 in HTH, DCV 3 at range (unless thats better than 1/2 your DCV)

Back in 4th Edition' date=' for the sake of fast math and speeding up combat a bit (admittedly, just a bit), I decided that two halvings makes a Zero. I figured, if you're Stunned and Blind, or Stunned and Prone, or Blind and Prone, or whatever ... you're pretty much hosed.[/quote']

Well, one would argue that in most cases you are pretty hosed if you are at half DCV. Kind of the reason that my group sees Sweep as more of a Brick manuever than a Martial Artist one!

After all, if you need to keep your DCV up as your primary defense, you don't wanna get hit. If you are almost always hit due to your already low DCV, well, then, a halving doesn't matter.

On the point of more than one halving... the key is that any of the 1/2-DCV situations means you aren't able to effectively dodge incoming attacks... being blind, or off balance (from a Sweep) have the same effect... unless you are totally still, or caught "flat footed", you don't hit the 0DCV mark.