Build me an a'dam

Truthsayer

For anyone who follows the Wheel of Time, the a'dam is a collar linked to a bracelet. The collar wearer must follow the verbal directions of the bracelet holder. If they try to take off the collar, they experience severe pain to the point of unconsciousness. Of course, they can't refuse the verbal commands. If the bracelet is hung up on a wall, they cannot even touch the bracelet without experiencing severe pain. The collar wearer's only hope is for someone to take off the collar. So how would I write this up?

Re: Build me an a'dam

First, a minor quibble on the Jordanese. The wearer doesn't have to follow directions. She can just be put under incredible pain and actual physical injury a the Sul'dam's whim (which is usually when she doesn't do as the Sul'dam wishes).

Anyway, I'd say it's a Transform that is only reversed when someone else removes the collar. The Transform target is a person who feels extreme pain (enough to be crippling) at the wish of the wearer (or the contingency wishes of the last wearer before taking off the bracelet).

Very appropriate case for Transform.

As for a system reason for the wearer to actually follow the commands of the Sul'dam...I think that has to be done with good roleplaying myself, or at the worst the GM's discretion. A player can sit there and tell you that their character suffers all the pain in the world but still doesn't buckle in, but this isn't all that believable.

Perhaps the Transform could include reducing the target's Ego/Pre and removing any Resistence they might have over time if you feel it is necessary. A second (Mental) Transform with Extra Time? Whatever.

So basiclly the collar is just a really intense incentive to follow the commands? If you disobey me, I'll cause you much pain. If you dissapoint me, I'll cause you much pain. If I want to entertain my houseguests I'll cause you much pain...

If so, I'll suggest the following:

a'dam collar: EB 4d6 (vs. NND), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Uncontrolled (shuts off if the collar is removed by a person other than the target, the collar cannot be removed by the target; +1/2), NND (no neck; +1), Continuous (+1) (90 Active Points); Target Must Be Entangled Or Restrained (-1), OIF (bracelet & collar, the bracelet must be in the attacker's possession to cause damage to the target; -1/2), Arrangement (-1/4), No Range (-1/2), Concentration (0 DCV; To place collar on target; -1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2) Real Cost: 21

The target is not continuously affected by the damage. The damage can be turned on or off at the attacker's whim until the conditions for shutting off the Power are met. This is neither an Advantage or Limitation, since not doing damage is benificial to the target but the attack is not restricted as to when the damage is applied. The damage is automatically applied if the target attempts to remove the collar (which is impossible, but the target doesn't necessarily know that) or if the target touches the bracelet Focus.

So basiclly the collar is just a really intense incentive to follow the commands? If you disobey me, I'll cause you much pain. If you dissapoint me, I'll cause you much pain. If I want to entertain my houseguests I'll cause you much pain...

If so, I'll suggest the following:

a'dam collar: EB 4d6 (vs. NND), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Uncontrolled (shuts off if the collar is removed by a person other than the target, the collar cannot be removed by the target; +1/2), NND (no neck; +1), Continuous (+1) (90 Active Points); Target Must Be Entangled Or Restrained (-1), OIF (bracelet & collar, the bracelet must be in the attacker's possession to cause damage to the target; -1/2), Arrangement (-1/4), No Range (-1/2), Concentration (0 DCV; To place collar on target; -1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2) Real Cost: 21

The target is not continuously affected by the damage. The damage can be turned on or off at the attacker's whim until the conditions for shutting off the Power are met. This is neither an Advantage or Limitation, since not doing damage is benificial to the target but the attack is not restricted as to when the damage is applied. The damage is automatically applied if the target attempts to remove the collar (which is impossible, but the target doesn't necessarily know that) or if the target touches the bracelet Focus.

The person with the bracelet can cause at any time a great deal of pain, even such excruciating pain that the collared person passes out. IIRC they can also cause actual physical wounds at a whim, but they don't because it tends to ruin a perfectly good slave. The collared person also cannot try to get themselves out of the collar, and they cannot Channel (the Wheel of Time's equivalent of magic) without the mental consent of the person wearing the bracelet. Forgot to mention that last.

With all the effects, and with the way it is used in the story (changing someone into a slave until they find a very convenient way to be released) I really think a Transform is the way to go. Anything else is going to afford generous opportunities to escape, or not work on tough people, or whatever. The tool in the Wheel of Time is pretty absolute.

The a'dam also doesn't have any effect at all on people who can't Channel, but I think that's a pretty straightforward Limitation on just about any construct we might use for the build, so it's hardly worth mentioning.

I'm not familiar with the setting, so I don't know what Channeling is. In that case, you could change the NND on my example to not having Channeling Powers (only works on them) and add in a huge Suppress to keep them from being used while the collar's on. Of course, I'm just guessing as to the game mechanics that might be used here.

The person with the bracelet can cause at any time a great deal of pain, even such excruciating pain that the collared person passes out. IIRC they can also cause actual physical wounds at a whim, but they don't because it tends to ruin a perfectly good slave. The collared person also cannot try to get themselves out of the collar, and they cannot Channel (the Wheel of Time's equivalent of magic) without the mental consent of the person wearing the bracelet. Forgot to mention that last.

With all the effects, and with the way it is used in the story (changing someone into a slave until they find a very convenient way to be released) I really think a Transform is the way to go. Anything else is going to afford generous opportunities to escape, or not work on tough people, or whatever. The tool in the Wheel of Time is pretty absolute.

The a'dam also doesn't have any effect at all on people who can't Channel, but I think that's a pretty straightforward Limitation on just about any construct we might use for the build, so it's hardly worth mentioning.

A few more details...

The damane wearing an a'dam cannot typically even walk around without a sul'dam wearing the bracelet. This also causes great pain.

In addition, the sul'dam who is wearing the bracelet can actually take control of the damane's ability to channel (i.e., weave magic spells). I can think of two specific examples of this... the first being Siuane in Salidar (before her ability to channel is healed). I am not sure, but I think the capture sul'dam also have expressed that they were able to actually control the weave.

Also note that the normal a'dam only affects women, and can only be used by women. There is at least one a'dam out there that can be used on a man (note in Jordan's world magic has two halves... saidin and saidar, the male and female halves). The male a'dam has two bracelets, and has some unpleasant side-effects on the women that would wear it (due to the "taint" on saidin).

On that note, be careful... The Illustrious Steve Long cares not for The Wheel of Time... :nonp:

That being said, I don't think you really need to stat out something like this. To me, treating the a'dam as an environmental effect works... it is a ter'angreal (a magic device with a specific purpose).

Women only (-1)

Channelers Only (-2)

Mental Illusions +25d6? -- invisible power effects, only to create sensations (pain, pleasure, etc) in welder of the A'dam.

The Unbreakable Mind Control is hard to model in Hero, I'd say go with a brutal Transform, "Slave of the A'dam." That pretty much fixes all the various "can't do this, can do that." The Transform would result in a Psychological Limit that started weak (Common Moderate) and grew as the WILL was broken, but it would also include a Physical Limitation that started at Very Common Total - violation triggers the Mental Illusions for Pain.

6d6 RKA - Male channelers only. Gradual effect, 1 minute. Male channelers strapping on an A'dam suffer real pain, real quick.

I'd be interested to see what folks think of the A'dam acting as a type of Well. I'll ask over at Call of The Horn.

Why doesn't Steve like TWoT? My whole experience with it was a mediocre FPS some time ago. I kept falling asleep when I tried to read Jordan's work, and as I've said before, I'd rather write than read. The thing it sounds like you're modeling is... well, it sounds kinda kludgey, to be faithful. You'll have to pardon me, normally I do my own write ups but I'm a bit hopped up at the moment. I have strepp AND a sinus infection. Good day!

158 [sul'dam Bracelet: Ego Attack, 10d6, variable power effects (pain, stun, pleasure, etc., +1/2, always debilitating), Continuous (+1), NND (Non-Channeler or male other than dragon-born, +1), OIF (Bracelet cannot be used by anyone controlled by the collar, only obeys initial user (?), +1/2), Trigger (If collar wearer touches the Sul'dam, attack is automatically activated (trigger cannot be changed, etc., +1/4), Charges (?), END Battery (?), Reduced END -0? (Total Cost: 475 points); Power only works against a'dam collar wearer (-2).

That's a rough draft. Problem is, to get enough dice to just deck someone out, I needed 10d6 (which based on the description seemed reasonable, although you can CHOOSE to use less - that's why I went whole hog). From there it was all the crazy advantages, with one disad that I saw - only works on the collar wearer (-2).

The collar, then, becomes another 'part' of this power - it isn't a separate device with separate rules. That's what the trigger was for. Anyway, let me know if this helps.

Okay, I was thinking of the a'dam as how it would translate into a regular magic artifact. How would you write up the a'dam to be used on a magic user? I'm going to run a campaign where my PCs meet a sorceror who has other sorcerors collared with an a'dam. How would you write it up?

Seems like everybody's getting too locked up on the PAIN aspect of the item. Causing pain is only the mechanism used to achieve the goal of making the damane into a slave (or in hero-speak, it's the sfx used to achieve the Effect of making ...) . I think Eosin had the right idea with a transform, though Dust Raven hit the modifiers pretty much right on.

My suggestion:

Xd6 mental transform (depending on your campaign level) to slave with:

• 'usable by others (x1)' for all channeling-based powers
  • some sort of mind link/telepathy/clairsentience construct (iirc, suldam could sense a damane's thoughts and physical sensations)

See Dust Raven's post for the modifiers. Though, I'd add an rsr onto it with the sul'dam pitting their sul'daminess against the target's resistance or ego.

Also, didn't it take a few days or weeks to really 'break' the damane.

Okay' date=' I was thinking of the a'dam as how it would translate into a regular magic artifact. How would you write up the a'dam to be used on a magic user? I'm going to run a campaign where my PCs meet a sorceror who has other sorcerors collared with an a'dam. How would you write it up?[/quote']

OH! EASY! Followers. Probably Followers with the Psychological Limitation: Resents Having to Follow Orders (Very Common, Mild).

Next? :P

Thinking about it, now, perhaps the real thing is that the a'dam should be a Transform.

However, I would make it a physical transform, that gives the following disads:

• Phys Lim: Cannot Channel without sul'dam's permission or assistance
  • Susc: Touching a'dam (could also be a phys lim)

• Phys Lim: Must obey wearer of bracelet (wearer must at least have the potential to channel, and must be female).

Now, the actual transform would probably have a limitation of "Only vs. female who are saidar sensitive" (i.e., can channel, or have the potential to channel).

The break out conditions would be having the a'dam removed.

I am less concerned about the actual number of dice (it would be major Transform, though) - you can play with this as you desire.

I say Physical Limitations, as the wearer does not have to agree with what she is forced to do (in fact, many resent it!), and they are able to overcome even total Psych Lims when compelled by the a'dam (example, Aes Sedai are able to use saidar as a weapon).

Thinking about it' date=' now, perhaps the real thing is that the [i']a'dam[/i] should be a Transform.

However, I would make it a physical transform, that gives the following disads:

• Phys Lim: Cannot Channel without sul'dam's permission or assistance
  • Susc: Touching a'dam (could also be a phys lim)

• Phys Lim: Must obey wearer of bracelet (wearer must at least have the potential to channel, and must be female).

Now, the actual transform would probably have a limitation of "Only vs. female who are saidar sensitive" (i.e., can channel, or have the potential to channel).

The break out conditions would be having the a'dam removed.

I am less concerned about the actual number of dice (it would be major Transform, though) - you can play with this as you desire.

I would add that they are at the complete physical mercy of the sul'dam (the pain/knockout thing), and possibly drop the third one you mentioned. Eh.

I say Physical Limitations, as the wearer does not have to agree with what she is forced to do (in fact, many resent it!), and they are able to overcome even total Psych Lims when compelled by the a'dam (example, Aes Sedai are able to use saidar as a weapon).

No, actually. The sul'dam were continually frustrated with the fact that they could not force collared Aes Sedai to use the Power as a weapon. If you were to add a long-term Mental Transform, it would probably grant the equivalent of a Strong Psychological Limitation, which is not enough to overcome the Total Psychological Limitation the Aes Sedai are given with the oath rod. The collared person could refuse to cooperate as much as they wanted, but the consequences were not pleasant, and eventually they all wound up succombing to the torture (though it took varying amounts of time because of their different Egos/Pres (Pre is probably the single most valuable Characteristic in the Wheel of Time setting; its price should probably be raised to like 5 :rolleyes: ).

No' date=' actually. The sul'dam were continually frustrated with the fact that they could [i']not[/i] force collared Aes Sedai to use the Power as a weapon.

iirc, one of the three oaths was to not use the power as a weapon except in self-defense. The aes seda used a ter'angreal (the rod of something-or-other) that made made a person unable to break any oaths sworn while holding it.

In that case, the target would already have those three oaths as a physical limitation, and since the transform wouldn't include removing that limitation ...

Why doesn't Steve like TWoT? My whole experience with it was a mediocre FPS some time ago. I kept falling asleep when I tried to read Jordan's work' date=' and as I've said before, I'd rather write than read.[/quote']

Steve worked on the d20 WoT book. I seem to recall him snarking about how he would come up with various Feats related to sniffing and tugging on one's braid, but the PTB didn't put them in. :eg: Also, he had to read the book for work, which is a buzzkill for a good series, much less WoT.

Personally, I find the books longer than they need to be, the world doesn't grab me as much as it could - I like parts of it, but the overall flow didn't do it for me. Jordan also has a habit of repetition that frankly irritates the crap out of me. Wheel keeps turning... yeah, yeah, I got it by book two, stop beating me over the head with it, you frigging morphodite. Aggggh!

Sorry, I have issues with WoT.

iirc, one of the three oaths was to not use the power as a weapon except in self-defense. The aes seda used a ter'angreal (the rod of something-or-other) that made made a person unable to break any oaths sworn while holding it.

In that case, the target would already have those three oaths as a physical limitation, and since the transform wouldn't include removing that limitation ...

The oath rod. Psychological Limitation (Total, though). If they thought they had to protect themselves or the target was an agent of the Dark One, they could use the Power as a weapon whether or not it was true.

Steve worked on the d20 WoT book. I seem to recall him snarking about how he would come up with various Feats related to sniffing and tugging on one's braid' date=' but the PTB didn't put them in. :eg:[/quote']

:lol: Like I said, Pre is the most important Characteristic (or overall trait for that matter).

Personally, I find the books longer than they need to be, the world doesn't grab me as much as it could - I like parts of it, but the overall flow didn't do it for me. Jordan also has a habit of repetition that frankly irritates the crap out of me. Wheel keeps turning... yeah, yeah, I got it by book two, stop beating me over the head with it, you frigging morphodite. Aggggh!

Sorry, I have issues with WoT.

Heh. Same issues here. And why the heck must he dwell so much on non-central (or at least uninteresting) characters? Grrr. He has his good points though (when he can keep a little story actually moving!). I like how he keeps your imagination active. Other authors seem to feel the need to explicitly reveal every mystery. He leaves a rich level of culture, history, and other detail to be explored by the imagination. He's also pretty decent as suspense (well, a lot of the time...).

I think how you want to build this depends on how you are going to allow the PCs to interact with it. If there is any possibility that the collar will be used on a PC you want to avoid the Transform build because there are scenes described where people fight against the will of the Sul'dam and you want to allow that to happen. If you resort to the Transform though it will essentially boil down to an all or nothing (at least if memory serves, no partial transforms).

On the other hand, if the PCs are only going to see the end result, the slave, then go ahead and use the Transform and call the "training" sfx.

The oath rod. Psychological Limitation (Total' date=' though). If they [i']thought[/i] they had to protect themselves or the target was an agent of the Dark One, they could use the Power as a weapon whether or not it was true.

Actually, I would make the Oath Rod a Physical Limitation. They are 100% unable to get around it in the "Word" of the oath but they can circumnavigate the spirit of the oath.The Oath Rod binds them "Bone Deep."

I think how you want to build this depends on how you are going to allow the PCs to interact with it. If there is any possibility that the collar will be used on a PC you want to avoid the Transform build because there are scenes described where people fight against the will of the Sul'dam and you want to allow that to happen. If you resort to the Transform though it will essentially boil down to an all or nothing (at least if memory serves, no partial transforms).

On the other hand, if the PCs are only going to see the end result, the slave, then go ahead and use the Transform and call the "training" sfx.[/Quote]

I can see the point here but it is pretty explictly stated that Egwene, the toughest of the mental titans, was about to break and that no one resisted "training" for long. That is why I recommended a gradual transformation for the Psychological Limitation and an instant effect for the Physical Limitation.

This is getting over thought. Drop back to basics - what does it do?

• The victim's will is rendered irrelevant to the will of those holding the A'dam ~ they may not even try to escape.
  • The victim may be made to experience the EFFECTS of pleasure or pain ~ if this is pressed long enough it can become real and lead to death.
  • The linked persons share emotions with feedback.
  • Any male channeler strapped into an A'dam will experience vivid pain and shortly die.
  • Non-Channelers experience no effect from an A'dam.

It is strongly implied that reducing any channelers - even an Aes Sedai - to mental putty requires nothing more than a little time and effort by the trainers.

That is it.

Using Hero that means -

A Psych Lim and a Physical Limitation (This means a Transform)

Some way to subjugate the victim to pleasure or pain (done a number of ways (END/STUN Drains and Aids, EGO Attacks and EGO Drain, or NND EB and Mind Control), I prefer Mental Illusions that are strong enough to make "Real Effects." It is simple and only requires a single power for both effects.)

A method to share emotions (Generally mind link but possibly telepathy). It needs to have a limitation that transmits the experience of damage through the link.

A triggered Killing Attack that occurs when the device is strapped to a male channeler (It needs to effect both the person holding the collar and the male).

Various limitations to reflect that it is an unbreakable focus, that it can only be used by females WITH the potential to channel, that it only works ON females with the ability to channel, and that it requires no END.