City of Heroes: Freedom Phalanx

Killer Shrike

I normally avoid liscenced fiction like the plague, but I stopped at Barnes & Nobles last night on the way home and browsed around. Finding nothing interesting, on the way out noticed the City of Heroes fiction book and saw that Robin D. Laws was the author so I picked it up and flipped thru a few pages.

The writing was suprisingly engaging, so I bought it and read about 3/4's last night until my wife forcibly took the book out of my geeky little hands sometime between 1 and 2.

Personally I particularly like two characters: Manticore (a hard boiled character that kind of mixes Hawkeye and Batman) and Synapse (a speedster / blaster).

Anyway, so far so good; I think any Champions players out there would probably like it.

Re: City of Heroes: Freedom Phalanx

I normally avoid liscenced fiction like the plague, but I stopped at Barnes & Nobles last night on the way home and browsed around. Finding nothing interesting, on the way out noticed the City of Heroes fiction book and saw that Robin D. Laws was the author so I picked it up and flipped thru a few pages.

The writing was suprisingly engaging, so I bought it and read about 3/4's last night until my wife forcibly took the book out of my geeky little hands sometime between 1 and 2.

Personally I particularly like two characters: Manticore (a hard boiled character that kind of mixes Hawkeye and Batman) and Synapse (a speedster / blaster).

Anyway, so far so good; I think any Champions players out there would probably like it.

Long as they paint Statesman as being a complete and utter pr#ck.

Long as they paint Statesman as being a complete and utter pr#ck.

Where does that come from?

Sorry to disappoint but they don't. KS, I enjoyed the book too. Have you read the first in the series, Web of Arachnos?

Where does that come from?

Sorry to disappoint but they don't. KS, I enjoyed the book too. Have you read the first in the series, Web of Arachnos?

The Comic - States comes off a bit......... poorly in it. Esp where Mantacore is concerned, not long ago he 'suspended' Mantacore, took his bow and broke it.

(Coarse - early in the series Mantacore did put a arrow through Statesman's chest...)

The Comic - States comes off a bit......... poorly in it. Esp where Mantacore is concerned, not long ago he 'suspended' Mantacore, took his bow and broke it.

(Coarse - early in the series Mantacore did put a arrow through Statesman's chest...)

Ah, I see. Sorry, I misinterpretted your sentiment as rancor. States does play a little hardcore but *spoilerfree* there's things going on. If anything Maticore is the more rigid charatcer portrayed. This book is how the group reformed in the '80s with the pre-Rikti War line-up.

Ah' date=' I see. Sorry, I misinterpretted your sentiment as rancor. States does play a little hardcore but *spoilerfree* there's things going on. If anything Maticore is the more rigid charatcer portrayed. This book is how the group reformed in the '80s with the pre-Rikti War line-up.[/quote']

Well truth be told..there is a 'tiny' bit of rancor there. But no, I was wondering if they kept his personality consistant. Althrough - pre-Rikti... I think that Maticore might be the current ones father.

I enjoyed it. The story details how super beings came into existence in the twentieth century for the CoX world. The narrative transitions from Edwardian adventure fiction to pulps nicely. As popcorn goes The Web of Arachnos is as tasty as The Freedom Phalanx. :thumbup:

Edit: I should note I paid for neither of these books, having gotten them for Xmas and birthday. I like to think I would have bought them eventually though.

Is this the comics that come with the Subscription to the game? I got those, the first series was nice, using characters conceivably developed in the game.

The second series was done by Top Cow, and used the "Iconic Characters" I liked it okay.

They stopped mailing them to me and now I read them online...

Yeah, that's the comics in question. It was in the first Top Cow story arc that States became "a complete and utter pr#ck". I only read the first few issues, since that was about the time I canceled my game subscription, but I have to agree that Statesman in those issues was portrayed as being... a tad abrasive.

States definately comes off as being a prick in the second comic series, one thing that comes up several times between States and Manticore is that States has a definite Code Against Killing, while Manticore has a lot lower CaK or none at all.

I will admit to being a bit proud that the supergroup I play regularly with shows up in a piece of fan fiction in one of the early issues of the second comic

our Supergroup is called Global Heroics, the concept being heroes have come to Paragon City from all over the world to fight for justice etc... each player takes the name of a country and either mr/ms/mrs, this group has been around almost since the begining of City of Heroes, we play on the Triumph Server, and we have an evil counterpart, the League of Rogue Nations

Our costume colors are based on the color of our chosen countries flag... so they can get pretty loud, Lithuania and Lativa arent exactly subdued

http://www.globalheroics.com/

My main characters are Mister Tonga and Captain Platypus, Mr Tonga being a Martial Arts/Regen Scrapper. and Captain Platypus is a Spines/Regen Scrapper