Zero-G Operations and Spacesuits

MPT

A player has just asked me if PS: Zero-G Operations included the use of spacesuits. My original thought was 'yes' ... but then I did a bit of digging.

SCUBA is a TF under 'Recreational Vehicles'. Since SCUBA is to underwater as Spacesuits are to Vacuum I have decided that Spacesuits are a 1pt TF ... but that given that I would not have thought about it if the player had not asked the question I have given the PC it for free.

My question is have I missed anything. Is there anywhere in the HERO books where Spacesuits are specifically mentioned (it would seem strange if they are not).

Re: Zero-G Operations and Spacesuits

I think it kinda depends on how the GM wants to run things in his game. For instance the 5ER parachuting is broken down into two Transport Familiarities. Parachuting, Basic and Parachuting, Advanced. However in the Dark Champions book they introduce the option of doing away with those TFs and replacing them with a DEX based skill called parachuting. The thought here is that if you want to play a game where parachuting is a much more important part of the action then perhaps it should be a skill of its own.

I haven't played or read my copy of the Star Hero stuff in a long time so that isn't really my area of knowledge. But I can see how something similar might be the case in a game in which Spacesuit operation is a major component of the game.

Hopefully one of the resident Star Hero experts will be along shortly and give you a far better answer than I can.

I also treat env movement zero g as giving a basic familiarity with space suits, under normal circumstances you can put one on and take it off and perform basic diagnostics, anything beyond that and you need the skill

also powered space suits/combat armor/battledress require a seperate dex based skill

I also treat env movement zero g as giving a basic familiarity with space suits, under normal circumstances you can put one on and take it off and perform basic diagnostics, anything beyond that and you need the skill

also powered space suits/combat armor/battledress require a seperate dex based skill

Now that I like. :thumbup: It is similar to how I tend to run Swimming in campaigns where everyone can swim --- anyone with at least 1" of Swimming can swim, but in bad conditions a DEX based Swimming skill is needed to keep above water, swim against the current, know when to come to the surface etc.

other thing is, at least in my games, anybody whos served time on starship/spaceship crew is going to be at least familiarized with a spacesuit, zero g training or not, also most army units that deploy off their home planet will go through the same orientation when they lift from the planet the first time.

Traveller has a neat little gadget called a rescue ball, its a self inflating LS bubble for 1 person, most vessels that carry passengers will have at least a few of these in staterooms and common areas, its not armored or anything, but it will allow somebody to survive a few hours til help arrives.

I have always treated them as seperate animals. After all, it's possible to have Zero-G environments that don't require space suits (such as ships or stations with LS but without artificial gravity). Conversely, you might need to wear a spacesuit on a planet that has gravity but no atmosphere. Tho to be honest, I think my seperating them has less to do with a desire for realism than with my annoyance that sci-fi movies & shows so often confuse the two, ie - any time they lose atmosphere, they lose gravity and vice-versa. :rolleyes:;)