Naruto

薔薇語

Re: Naruto

http://www.herocentral.net/campaignInformation.htm?campaignId=421889

Linkage to the Naruto game being run on HERO Central. If you want a good idea of what we did, just check out the characters page. Mine is Naizen Keiichi.

Anyway, the reason for all the fillers was that the anime caught up with the Manga more quickly then expected, so because they ran out of plot, they've been doing filler while they wait for the manga to get sufficiently ahead.

Anyway' date=' the reason for all the fillers was that the anime caught up with the Manga more quickly then expected, so because they ran out of plot, they've been doing filler while they wait for the manga to get sufficiently ahead.[/quote']

Yes, I know this, but the fact is that they didn't have to wait nearly close to as long as they did. Assuming they went at the original pace of around 2-3 chapters of manga per episode, around 6 or so month ago they could ahve picked up again and NEVER caught up for all intents and purposes. And actually it seems like they're being a little slow with the current shippuuden (they really drew out the bells). In any case, that is why I hated the fillers so much, they were entirely unnecisary for a good deal of recent time.

http://www.herocentral.net/campaignInformation.htm?campaignId=421889

Linkage to the Naruto game being run on HERO Central. If you want a good idea of what we did, just check out the characters page. Mine is Naizen Keiichi.

Yeah, I was looking at your campaign just last week. I'm thinking of doing a new Naruto campaign myself (not online), and have been debating how to handle the Jutsu. My current line of thinking is doing them as a VPP, with the characters being limited to ones they know from their personal list and having to use one of the three skills: Taijutsu, Genjutsu and Ninjutsu to actually use the Jutsu.

I felt this would allow them to learn new ones fairly quickly, and reflect the large variety of minor Jutsu that the Naruto characters would normally have they don't mention much. (ie using Chakra to boost movement, accuracy, and other more skills-oriented Jutsu.)

The only trick with Naruto I thought of is keeping them from constantly using Jutsu since the Naruto characters actually only use them rarely outside of combat. I've considered making Jutsu simply cost Long-Term END, using End Reserves and even Charges, but haven't picked one yet.

edit!

Oh, and one other thing I came across in my Naruto research, I noticed nobody seems to have mentioned that Naruto has the elemental strength-weakness system in effect. (It's not mentioned much in the comic, but it IS there.) Not sure whether to model it or not. To quote Wikipedia:

Depending on the ratio in which physical and spiritual energy is mixed, different types of chakra can be formed. Elemental chakra is the most common product of this, and is used to perform elemental jutsu. The five elemental natures are earth, fire, lightning, water, and wind. Most ninja have a natural affinity to one type of chakra, but have the capacity to create elemental chakra apart from their own affinity. Each element is both stronger and weaker than another. The order is fire, wind, lightning, earth, and water, with each being weaker than the previous and stronger than the next. Water loops back into fire. Additionally, elemental techniques can be countered by techniques of the same element, provided the technique being countered is of equal or lesser power.

Rob

Yeah, the chakra element explanation is relatively recent in the manga, and we almost got an explanation for how Shikamaru and Chouji's jutsu work.

Also, you might want to considdering adding a fourth skill called Chakra Control for those jutsu that aren't typically involved with the other types, namely things like water walking, wall walking, super strength, healing, and even rasengan.

Another good way for them to get alot of jutsu easily is to use a cost divider, like 3 or 5. The VPP to me seems a little powerful, and generally fits with Sharingan better, though I'd also model Gaara's sand with it since it's being given to him by that nasty little demon inside him, though you could just do that with typical jutsu and just say he learned it from shukaku.

• 3 weeks later...

So buying your Chakra as a power reserve and just having all powers that pull from chakra only use the end reserve and all other 'normal' attacks; ie taijutsu, pull from your normal End. So characters like Garaa have immense ER; others like Rock Lee, have Giant end; and Naruto would have both.

La Rose

I began to try this this morning, but I ran into one difficulty: END reserves are very cheap, point-wise. At one character point per ten endurance, a character can easily pull off a hundred or more endurance with little cost to the character. Looking at the standard endurance cost per power, if we assume a maximum REC of 5 on the END reserve, it would take a very long time for anybody to run out of Chakra.

I would instead buy Chakra points as Characteristics with the Limitation "Only for Ninjutsu/Genjutsu, not linked to Phyiscal END", and apply the Character's natural REC to it post-segment 12. The idea put forward on the HLV game for having a Chakra Control Skill Roll, in which a small failure costs you more of your Chakra points, would work well with this system.