"Tesla Magnetic Bomb"

Funksaw

This is how I built a small "electromagnet" bomb which, when thrown, makes all the metal objects near it fly towards it.

Tesla Magnetic Bomb: Telekinesis (19 STR), Area of Effect Nonselective (3" Radius; +3/4) <50 AP> 1 Recoverable Continuing Charge lasting 1 Turn (-3/4), Only Works on Ferrous Metal (-1/2), Affects Whole Object (-1/4)

What do you think?

Re: "Tesla Magnetic Bomb"

I'd skip the Nonselective and just make it a standard AE, myself. If it saturates the zone with magnetism (rather than, say, emitting 'strands' of magnetic energy, like lightning bolts in one of those globe-things*), I don't see how it could miss a chunk of metal. :)

*What the heck are those things called again?

I'd skip the Nonselective and just make it a standard AE, myself. If it saturates the zone with magnetism (rather than, say, emitting 'strands' of magnetic energy, like lightning bolts in one of those globe-things*), I don't see how it could miss a chunk of metal. :)

*What the heck are those things called again?

Answer is "The Eye of The Storm" Plasma Globe and yes it dose involve a tesla coil.

http://www.amasci.com/tesla/heli1.html

Oh my google fu is strong today...

I'd also consider putting some sort of "Only To Pull Towards Bomb" Limitation. I mean, it doesn't make ferrous objects fly around, it pulls them towards the bomb really really fast.

-thinks- That's a fairly evil effect. I can think of a few icky-bad tricks to do with that.

This is how I built a small "electromagnet" bomb which, when thrown, makes all the metal objects near it fly towards it.

Tesla Magnetic Bomb: Telekinesis (19 STR), Area of Effect Nonselective (3" Radius; +3/4) <50 AP> 1 Recoverable Continuing Charge lasting 1 Turn (-3/4), Only Works on Ferrous Metal (-1/2), Affects Whole Object (-1/4)

What do you think?

What would prevent the bomb from being draw to a large mass of metal instead of the mass of metal being drawn to the bomb? Isn't magnetic attraction two-way? :ducks hurled metal objects for bringing up real-world physics:

Just remember that the TK Strength is "spread" over the whole area, not per item in the area.

Just remember that the TK Strength is "spread" over the whole area, not per item in the area.

It is?

Seems kind of flaky from a rules perspective to me ... by that logic, if you dropped a 10d6 Area Effect EB, you'd apportion the damage out amongst the targets rather than dealing the same damage to each.

It is?

Seems kind of flaky from a rules perspective to me ... by that logic, if you dropped a 10d6 Area Effect EB, you'd apportion the damage out amongst the targets rather than dealing the same damage to each.

Let me rephrase myself. AoE TK has it's lifting capacity spread over the entire area, not per hex or per object. It will still do it's full damage to each target, however. See p231 of 5re for details.

Let me rephrase myself. AoE TK has it's lifting capacity spread over the entire area' date=' not per hex or per object. It will still do it's full damage to each target, however. See p231 of 5re for details.[/quote']

I lack the Revised book, so am unable to verify, but I'll take your word for it. :)