Holding 'em Back

Dust Raven

Re: Holding 'em Back

The power doesn't really attune to the target, but yes, the creatures would most likely keep most normals from moving at all, or at least put them equivilant to having less than 0 STR.

Something like this might work... The only problems with it are that it wouldn't cause the target to do less damage with STR, and it would require Transform (target into encumbered target).

Speaking of using Transform... the END issue part of this Power definately seems undoable to any other mechanic in the rules, so it qualifies for Transform. I'm half tempted to say it's a Cosmetic effect, but probably Minor. The only problem is that it should be automatic, and that's a LOT of dice even for normals. I might end up going with a simple +1/4 Modifier on a Suppress STR in the end. I'm still mulling it over.

Thanks for everyone's help so far!

Dust Raven,

In message #7 in this thread you said that the target's movement isn't hindered in any way. Now you say it is. Maybe if we start over and you clarify exactly what the effect does/does not do and affect we can help better.

Dust Raven,

In message #7 in this thread you said that the target's movement isn't hindered in any way. Now you say it is. Maybe if we start over and you clarify exactly what the effect does/does not do and affect we can help better.

The target's movement isn't hindered as a specific, intended effect of this power. Some targets might be immobilized due to secondary effects, but the purpose and function of this power is not to immobilize, or even slow down, targets.

DR: No, you're mistaken (or I was unclear). My build doesn't require a Transform, it requires a Change Environment - just as you can modify someone's DCV/OCV etc. with a CE, so too can you use it to add Encumbrance to a target. So it isn't a Transform. Second! What you're talking about, exactly - expending STR, forcing you to use your max STR, but then not doing full damage, is not covered by the rules, per se. Your fixes are:

- Encumbrance, which weighs the target down, forcing him to burn more END faster, and possibly immobilize him.

- And of the dozen or so Drains that limit this effect

- PSLs created by the creatures; for example, pushing DOWN the targets usuable STR by adding -STR Levels or a variation thereof (Susano, LL or GA might be better with this - I know what I mean but I'm not saying it well).

Transform isn't what I'd use here -Change Environment is.

I know you did not like TK because of grab maneuver, but this might work.

TK; affects hole target -1/4, only to resist targets strength -1/2, area of affect 1 hex +1/2, mobile (sticks to target) +1

The target's movement isn't hindered as a specific' date=' intended effect of this power. [i']Some[/i] targets might be immobilized due to secondary effects, but the purpose and function of this power is not to immobilize, or even slow down, targets.

So any movement penalties are just a side effect of being "too weak to move". Like if they effectively had negative STR.

Speaking of Change Enviornment though...

Maybe I could combine a CE with the Suppress. The Suppress does what is needed for the most important game effect, and a CE (accurate) is used to create a field that eats END if STR is used.

Then again, I might just say screw it and put a +1/4 Advantage on Suppress. In either case, it's time to get back with the player and see if he even still wants this ability. It may just be that we drop the whole END issue and go with a straight Suppress STR. It's a superheroic game after all.

Thanks everyone for you help!