Zero-G Martial Arts Help

Scarlet Drake

Does anyone have a writeup that they can share regarding the zero-g martial arts?

If not, can someone just post what it is that makes that sort of MA different from any other one?

I'm trying to create Star Hero characters and I'd like to use the idea that was covered un UMA without needing to get off my butt and by a copy at 8am on a Saturday.

I swear to the Hero Games gods that I've given my tithe for this month! :rolleyes:

Re: Zero-G Martial Arts Help

I don't have a write-up for it, so I'll have to respond to the second part of your request.

So... what makes zero-g martial arts different from others? Well, for one thing, in zero-g, Newton's 3rd Law of Motion is cranked WAY up. Maneuvers that require big motions are likely going to hinder both parties. So, punches, kicks and throws are out.

Therefore, you'll want to stick to maneuvers that deliver the most effect with the least movement... i.e. submission holds, joint locks and pressure point manipulation.

Wrestling, both Olympic-style Greco-Roman and the more cinematic "Professional" styles, have a lot of these maneuvers. Judo and Jiu-Jitsu , as well as Korean Hapkido, also have their fair share. The main idea is that enough pain applied to the proper area will convince the most belligerent opponent that he really doesn't want to continue the fight.

So, in a nutshell, a zero-g martial artist strives to end the fight with as little action as possible. How you accomplish that goal is a personal choice.

hang on, I don't know that you're asking the right question. Or, maybe you are, in which case I don't have that answer. Lemme splain.

There is not, to the best of my knowledge, a "Zero-G MA" in UMA - however, that doesn't mean you can't put one together. I also think that the Lecher is correct - I was thinking in the box of "punchy... punchy... gravity no worky, no position from which to start attack... no punchy?" and he promptly pointed out that joint locks, arm bars and plexus strikes are going to be more suited for the environment.

You can put it together using UMA, and I think there are some standard Martial Arts urles in 5ER, but don't quote me on that.

There is not, to the best of my knowledge, a "Zero-G MA" in UMA - however, that doesn't mean you can't put one together.

Zero Gravity Combat, UMA p. 86

Breakaway (Shove/Thow hybrid following Escape)

Choke

Escape

Grab

Joint Break

Nerve Pinch

Reversal

The best of my knowledge was clearly not up to the task. That, and I was too lazy to pick up the book. It's on the other end of the table. It would involve, you know. Standing. I'm not really about that right now.

Except, now, you know, because I need to make breakfast.

Armitage, thanks for the list. Can I burden you to ask for some game stats? At least some way to re-create the manuvers with the standard rules. (i.e. What is the OCV/DCV bonus/minus and the effect of "Joint Break"? etc...) Feel free to minimize the detail, I just don't have a refernce point for some of the manuvers.

Thia Halmades, I understand, it's a lazy Sunday for me as well...enjoy breakfast! :thumbup:

---------------------------------------

Mal: "Zoe, ship is yours. Remember: if anything happens to me, if you don't hear from me within the hour, you take the ship -- and you come and you rescue me."

Zoe: "What? Risk my ship?"

--- From Serenity (the movie)

Breakaway-Custom Maneuver, +1 OCV, +2 DCV, Shove +10 STR (target moves back 1" per 10 STR), Target falls, must follow escape. 4 points.

Choke-Choke Hold with OCV penalty reduced to -1. +1 point.

Escape-standard Martial Escape.

Grab-Martial Grab affecting 3 limbs instead of 2. +1 point.

Joint Break-Standard maneuver. -1 OCV, -2 DCV, Grab 1 limb, 2 DC KA, no hit location damage reduction. 5 points.

Nerve Pinch-Nerve Strike with +1 OCV instead of -1, must follow Grab. 4 points.

Reversal-Standard maneuver. -1 OCV, -2 DCV, +15 STR to Escape, Grab with same attack. 4 points.

I must disagree with most of what has been posted here.

Strikes CAN be used in zero-g (or more accurately freefall), but there are limitations. For example, if you grab someone, you can now strike him, using your grip to prevent reaction from seperating you.

A knee strike while you hold on with your arms is practical. In game terms, give it "must follow grab" and there you are. A head butt could be used the same way. (I wouldn't make them seperate manuevers in game.)

Similarly, a backwards elbow strike against someone who has grabbed you from behind is feasible, if his grip doesn't hold you together, you have escaped his grab. There are many other possiblities.

On the other hand, many joint locks will be dificult to apply effectively; they often require applying pressure that you will not be able to without an external support. For example, an arm bar will not work very well (if at all) in freefall. A hammerlock may, if you can apply it with one arm while you hold him with the other.

And remember, Newton's third law applies to holds too. As you apply your aikido (or jui-jitsu) wrist lock, instead of breaking his wrist, his body rotates one way, while you rotate the other!

Choke holds and nerve-locks (although the latter are very difficult to use in practice) will work.

Bearhugs and leg scissors will work, but the person held can strike the attacker effectively if his arms are free.

Major strikes, like kicks, can be used if you are willing to break contact from the reaction. In "Tripanetary" a fight in freefall is discribed in which the skilled man did that sort of thing. it requires skill to set it up so the the reaction sends you in the direction that you want of course.

Well, I never said that strikes and kicks couldn't be used... just that the reaction may be extreme. If you have a means of staying in one place, like magnetic boots or the like, go ahead and punch!

As for the joint locks... point taken. However, I can think of many that don't require any bracing.

In all cases, I would suggest that Environmental Movement: Zero-G be used as a complementary skill.

I agree that Zero gee enviro is the heart of the "art"...so I can "throw" an opponite by disorienting him (say by putting him into a spin) and the lauch a kick into the space he will soon be occuping and use the rebond to set up my next attack run...or maybe I would try for a choke hold and use my manuvering skills to prevent an escape....I'd guess at least three distinct styles would form...an open area style, an grb and harm style and something that tries to ballence the two...or goes in yet annother direction...if I launch a foe at a wall head first and launch myself towards the opposing wall feet first, I'm likely to enjoy the landing more than he will....