New Advantage: Robust Immunity

schir1964

Re: New Advantage: Screen

I love this!

It was an idea that I thought had great merit so I explored it as far as I could. If you read from the beginning you'll see the areas it runs into difficulty. Hugh has pointed out the main issues.

If you and Hugh wish to explore it further, I'll tag along and make any changes you want to the original post.

...the Killer Bean 2's "shooting bullets out of the air"...

Just wanted to point you to another official method for this. Check the rules for Dispel. I think that the rules for Dispel allow you to do exactly this kind of thing. Just so you know.

That depends on whether we're rolling the dice' date=' or counting them :)[/quote']

Yes, my approach had to do with dealing with the number dice and thier "Potential Roll" as you point out. Hugh did want to try tackle it by using Damage Class, but that was in the opposite direction I wanted to go.

However, if you both work out an actual Damage Class version of this, I'll change the original post to include that variation.

This was actually the most confusing way you phrased it . . . :P

Yes, I can see that now.

The most used may not be the same as the "highest purchased". (Do you mean AP or RP there' date=' by the way?)[/quote']

I meant to put an "or" instead of an "and" in that statement.

Active Points is what I'm referring to.

Not that I seriously advocate an overlap like this. If we're making more than minor tweaks (such as what Chris is proposing)' date=' it would be more efficient to overhaul the entire system.[/quote']

What do you mean?

I only deal in "Minor Tweaks" to the system. (8^D)

- Christopher Mullins

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This whole concept moves away from the "each ability is purchased separately" structure to the more Villains & Vigilantes linked powers structure where Fire Powers gets you a flame blast' date=' flight and Flame Defense.[/quote']

You know, I think you've just hit on one of the underlying reasons I dislike Desolidification so much as a mechanic. It ties several abilities together which should be purchased separately. But that's another thread. (8^D)

- Christopher Mullins

If you and Hugh wish to explore it further' date=' I'll tag along and make any changes you want to the original post.[/quote']

This is the one thing you do, by the way, that I find annoying. It makes reading of the replies very difficult, when the version they were replying to is no longer around. I often can't understand the compliments or criticisms that were levied at it. I know why you do it, to make sure that newcomers to the thread are seeing the most recent version (which cuts down on replies that address an earlier version), but couldn't you just Edit to update a link at the very beginning of your first post, advising readers that there is a new revision and giving a showpost to the latest reply where you detail it?

What do you mean?

I only deal in "Minor Tweaks" to the system. (8^D)

If we were to begin adding "Usable as Another Power" variants to all powers, though, it would become a major tweak.

Actually, that phrasing doesn't sound so bad. If it's just a generic Advantage (applicable to any power), we don't need to make a lot of different changes to allow each power to act like every other power.

Precisely. To the extent it eliminates 72 points' date=' it eliminates only 12. 12d6 will roll each number with equal frequency. [i']On Average[/i] it will reduce damage by 42 points of STUN and 12 BOD.

This is only if we're actually rolling them, though. HERO suffers from some ambiguity (or, at least, we do, here) in that it uses "points" to refer to both the value of a power (Active or Real, sheesh) and the amount of effect that can be generated by rolling the dice and tallying up a total for powers that use dice.

I think it's just us.

I think your difficulties with the concept are showing through. The issue is that a limitation on the power as a whole which only reduces the effectiveness of the attack' date=' and not the defense (or the defense and not the attack) will nevertheless reduce the cost of both attack and defense.[/quote']

I see it now. It's my difficulty with the concept of Damage Classes, though; I remembered that they entailed modifying the base die cost by the Advantages and doing some division, but I didn't remember where the actual DC's fit in. This morning I remembered that this is for adding damage with DC's, which aren't themselves modified by Advantages. That's why I was suggesting Active Points; I thought they would work differently than Damage Classes.

You've introduced some thoughts on an angle of cost that I had not previously noticed. My idea was to solve the "dice cost 5 points apiece for EB, but 15 points apiece for RKA" by saying "15 points worth of dice cancel out 15 points worth of dice", which would also take care of the Advantages.

This is the one thing you do' date=' by the way, that I find annoying. It makes reading of the replies very difficult, when the version they were replying to is no longer around. I often can't understand the compliments or criticisms that were levied at it. I know [i']why[/i] you do it, to make sure that newcomers to the thread are seeing the most recent version (which cuts down on replies that address an earlier version), but couldn't you just Edit to update a link at the very beginning of your first post, advising readers that there is a new revision and giving a showpost to the latest reply where you detail it?

I'll try to do that from now on.

- Christopher Mullins