Firefly Hero

Law Dog

I felt sorry for this thread so I thought I would post.

I actually like the idea of a Firefly campaign and think it would work really well as long as you realize it is basically a western re-written for sci-fi.

I might try it someday, but I would rather work on Terran Empire or maybe Battlestar Galactica HERO

Originally posted by Herolover

I actually like the idea of a Firefly campaign and think it would work really well as long as you realize it is basically a western re-written for sci-fi.

Which is pretty much what Star Trek was. Star Wars, of course, was pretty much a Samurai tale and we all know that those translate well to westerns - Seven Samurai to Magnificent Seven to Battle Beyond the Stars (sci-fi). And of course High Noon (western) translated nicely to Outland (sci-fi).

Originally posted by Geoff Speare

I loved this series too, and hope that they can find some way to revive it. I haven't done any conversion work, though I don't think it would be a big deal to do.

I wish this, too, but now that they tore down the set last week and the actors that played Mal and Zoe have moved on to new series, it seems sadly unlikely.

Firefly was so badly mishandled by Fox (producers of schlock like Joe Doofus, oh . . sorry, Millionaire) that it was doomed from the start.

Originally posted by Law Dog

Firefly was so badly mishandled by Fox (producers of schlock like Joe Doofus, oh . . sorry, Millionaire) that it was doomed from the start.

I concur. I looked forward to Firefly each week much more than Enterprise. Talk about good character development, the individuals that made up the crew were what made the show. Too bad the people at Fox didn't have the foresight to give it a real chance. Anybody remember the first season of TNG? It totally sucked, but it got better and the series wound up going for seven (?) seasons. If anyone other than Gene Roddenberry had done Episode at Farpoint, someone surely would have put a bullet in the series' head right then to put it out of its misery.

As for the original question, I hadn't considered a Firefly HERO campaign, but it shouldn't be difficult. There's nothing too outlandish to convert, the ship is already designed (just needs HERO stats), and there are plenty of plot hooks and NPCs already in place. I even have the perfect player for Jane Cole.

Originally posted by Nelijal

I concur. I looked forward to Firefly each week much more than Enterprise. Talk about good character development, the individuals that made up the crew were what made the show. Too bad the people at Fox didn't have the foresight to give it a real chance. Anybody remember the first season of TNG? It totally sucked, but it got better and the series wound up going for seven (?) seasons. If anyone other than Gene Roddenberry had done Episode at Farpoint, someone surely would have put a bullet in the series' head right then to put it out of its misery.

As for the original question, I hadn't considered a Firefly HERO campaign, but it shouldn't be difficult. There's nothing too outlandish to convert, the ship is already designed (just needs HERO stats), and there are plenty of plot hooks and NPCs already in place. I even have the perfect player for Jane Cole.

I think It's spelled "Jayne" :)

-DG

Originally posted by Law Dog

I wish this, too, but now that they tore down the set last week and the actors that played Mal and Zoe have moved on to new series, it seems sadly unlikely.

Were there ever any spoilers on what the preacher's big secret was?

It's great that we're finally getting more shows that use foreshadowing, overlying story arcs, etc. but it makes premature cancellation stink that much worse. You never get the resolution of the dangling plotlines.

Originally posted by Armitage

Were there ever any spoilers on what the preacher's big secret was?

It's great that we're finally getting more shows that use foreshadowing, overlying story arcs, etc. but it makes premature cancellation stink that much worse. You never get the resolution of the dangling plotlines.

No, but a lot of conjecture on some of the fan sites. There are a few unaired episodes that we may wind up seeing when FOX is through showing us crap like Joe Jackass.

• 2 weeks later...

On reading the last post, I visited Fireflyfans.net, and I have two suggestions for any Firefly fan:

1. Do visit the site, it has some interesting reading. Currently posted is the script to "Heart of Gold," an unaired episode. It's quite good, you can hear the actors' voices in your head as you read.

2. The DVD set offered by trs80 is definitly worth the $25 he's asking ($40 for a set in standard DVD cases with color labels). I have a set and I'm very pleased with it. If you read the above thread, you will see nothing but positive feedback from owners of his DVDs. He puts these out not for profit but to promote the program, and he goes out of his way to help the people who have trouble getting the discs to play--there apparently are a lot of variables between players and media.

And if you're looking to write a Firefly HERO campaign, what better reference material is there?