Recommendations For Steve's Military SF Reading

Steve Long

I really enjoyed the first book, the second was not as good, I have but have not read the most recent.

Originally posted by BobGreenwade

Would those be (or at least include) the Phule's Company books I cited? (Just curious; nobody else seems to be seconding it or even addressing it in any other way.) Well, I do have an unpublished series of my own; but I guess that's not very helpful, eh? :)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

David Drake's "Thin Red Line": Good story, very interesting weapons (Grenades based on electrical resistance, amongst others.)

E. E. "Doc" Smith's Lensman series: Deals with deveoping tactics for space combat, power armored space marines fighting boarding actions with axes and ray guns (he wrote this stuff before lasers were invented. It's still interesting reading.) Lots of interesting aliens, and the different tactics and styles they bring to conflict. Classic space opera.

• 2 weeks later...

John Ringo's series of books:

- A Hymn Before Battle

- Gust Front

- When the Devil Dances

- Hell's Faire

These books do an excellent job of combining our modern day military equipment with gear and tactics from the "Galactic Alliance" (or whatever it's called).

David Webber and John Ringo have co-written a set of books:

- March Upcountry

- March to the Sea

- March to the Stars (coming out soon)

The first two are excellent and I'm waiting on the third one to come out.

Originally posted by Al_Beddow

John David Webber and John Ringo have co-written a set of books:

- March Upcountry

- March to the Sea

- March to the Stars (coming out soon)

The first two are excellent and I'm waiting on the third one to come out.

Al,

March to the Stars has been out for 6 months plus unless you're waiting for the paperback.

Archon

Several people recommended anything by Peter Hamilton, author of the Night Dawn Trilogy and Fallen Dragon . They recommended it because I was looking for some realistic depictions of starship combat. I got like 5 people who recommended it immediately.

I just bought Fallen Dragon a few days ago and have only read a few pages, so I can't say anything about it myself, but the guys over at gamedev.net sure loved it.

While I was at the bookstore, I also saw the official prequel book for the console game Halo. It actually seemed pretty interesting. I forgot the author's name, but the title of the book is, The Fall of Reach.

I'd be remiss in not talking about the Battletech series of novels. The best military usage are the Twillight of the Clans series of books by varios authors (amongst them being Michael Stackpole and Blaine Lee Pardoe).

Originally posted by tmutant

E. E. "Doc" Smith's Lensman series

I don't know, especially near the end those got to be a bit mroe Galactic Champions than Alien Wars. Although, come to think of it, that could work if my memory of the time line hasn't gotten muddled again.