Gemini Ascendant Campaign

Nolgroth

Re: Gemini Ascendant Campaign

Not sure if these are what you are looking for, but this is all I was able to recover after the debacle of trying the ORPG 1.7 upgrade...

Taffy's Ramblings:

It all started when the Sathar destroyed New Eden. Hmmmn. Well it actually started a long time before then, but for our purposes, the destruction of New Eden is as good a place to start as any.

New Eden (and you notice how many distinct groups of humans have some paradise planet with that name) was the youngest and arguably the most vibrant of the early human colonies in what we call the Frontier. And a paradise it was. Climate ranges from Tropical to Temperate with relatively small sub-arctic and arctic regions.

At any rate, the Sathar came and paradise was lost. Like many of their early conquests, the Sathar did not come to annex or dominate. They came with the singular purpose of destruction. The rain of nuclear fire destroyed the population centers of New Eden and the ecological systems along with them.

I do not know what the Sathar sought to accomplish with this horrendous act. Many military advisors of the time believed that it was a demonstration intended to cow the rest of the human colonies. I don't know for sure, but if it was, the Sathar gravely underestimated the resilience of humanity.

Work on the human war machine began immediately. The Sathar wiped out three more colonies before the first strike force was assembled. They were in orbit around Antioch when the humans caught up with them. The battle was relatively short and brutal. The human fleet was all but destroyed; but not before driving the Sathar back to lick their wounds.

The colonies were faced with some hard choices then. They chose to stay and fight. The Earth Exploration Force, which has been the governing authority was replaced by the Terran Colonial Authority. Under the TCA, work began on a new fleet. Special projects were pushed through as fast as some would be scientific genius could propose something that might work. And this is where Sam and Wade come in.

The project that created them started on a station in a nearby system. There, a group of geneticists sought to create the ultimate space-dwelling human. Not only that, but the best pilots as well. The first batch was created in that lab and the results of those experiments paved the way for future generations of Super Spacers. And the technology was applied elsewhere; a Super Soldier program was incepted soon after the third gen spacers were incubated.

During this time, the conflict with the Sathar was a constant affair, with battles being fought frequently as each fleet tried to outmatch the other. Humanity made its first real strategic error during this time, and it would cost them dearly.

It was about the sixteenth year of the conflict when the Sathar deployed a surprisingly large fleet against the TCA. What the humans thought would be a long fought road to victory became a holding action while the populated worlds were evacuated to systems nearer to the Frontier Core. These new worlds would become humanity's new home in the Frontier.

The amazing thing to me is just how tenacious you humans can be. The Sathar Conflict was a lost cause, yet the TCA continued to engage Sathar forces where ever they could. They switched tactics from large-scale assaults to small-scale tactical raids and they never quit. Not until they were almost completely wiped out.

This guerrilla warfare lasted almost another fifteen years. The first and second gen Super Spacers were employed frequently and to devastating result. The Sathar continued to bomb worlds and even dropped some sort of mutagenic plagues on a couple of worlds; this one included. It was a combination of numerical superiority on the Sathar's part and the lack of logistical support on the Humans' part that led to the eventual human withdrawal from this section of space altogether.

The Sathar seemed content with their victory. They were not seen again until after the UPF was formed almost a century later. By this time, the humans had allies and the Sathar were repulsed in the First Sathar war. Fifty years later, they tried again and were ultimately driven to extinction by the UPF counter invasion force.

And that is the end of this story. I may have others to tell, but I have this funny feeling that questions will be forthcoming. I'll answer those to the best of my ability and willingness and then we have to figure a way to bypass our Yazarian friends floating around in orbit. There is much to be done and as pleasant as this place is, it is past due we left for even less familiar territory.

FROM THE JOURNAL OF SHIGO KINJO

[ BEGIN JOURNAL ]

Earthdate February 5, 2227 Inception

Today the first batch of embryos were delivered. The incubation chambers are fully primed and ready for production. The staff has been briefed on the parameters of the program as expressed in the memo from Admiral Higa. We are just going through final preparation before beginning incubation.

Karl was very excited about the possibilities of improving the efficiency of the genome further than the now defunct Myrmidon project had been able to. I have to agree that, though the scientists on Myrmidon were gifted, they just didn't have access to the tools and present knowledge that we do. Still I must keep an eye on Karl's enthusiasm.

Well tomorrow shall be a big day.

Earthdate February 6, 2227 Incubation!

It took several hours, but we finally were able to successfully start the incubation process. Now it is a matter of waiting and observation.

[February 7 through March 10 are standard updates indicating that the fetuses appear to be healthy.]

Earthdate March 11, 2227 Eternal Youth?

Karl has been reviewing the gene sequence of the fetuses and has discovered a method he thinks may prolong the lifespans of the subjects. I've reviewed the findings, but Karl is truly gifted in the field of cross-species eugenics. I think he may be right, but it may have some unforeseen consequences.

I have briefed Admiral Higa on the new information. He suggested we try it. Tomorrow we will begin to edit the DNA of the subjects in order to test this theory.

[March 12 through May 7 are standard updates indicating the general condition of the fetuses.]

Earthdate May 8, 2227 Problems

The fetuses appear to be developing abnormalities. Karl thinks it may be due to the gene therapy techniques we used to modify the subjects for increased lifespans. I agree with him. We just don't know that much about the alien DNA to be sure that anything we do won't cause problems later.

We will continue to observe the subjects as they grow. Admiral Higa has been advised of the situation and has expressed his displeasure. If the subjects' DNA does not stabilize, he has ordered the termination of this batch and the inception of a new one.

[ May 9 through June 1 are standard updates indicating progressive mutation in the subjects.]

Earthdate June 2, 2227 Failure

Despite our best efforts to correct the genetic defects in the subjects, mutation and abnormalities persist. As per the Admiral's orders, we have begun incubating a new series of subjects.

Karl believes that by continued observation and testing with the aberrant genetic material, he may be able to isolate what went wrong. I have granted him permission to continue incubating four subjects. If he can discover what exactly went wrong and how to fix it, the Admiral may overlook our previous failure.

[ June 3 through November 5 are standard updates that include both the status of the regular subjects as well as the four remaining aberrant subjects. ]

Earthdate November 6, 2227 Stillbirth

Two of the four aberrations were successfully carried to term. Sadly, the other two did not survive the transfer from the incubators to exposure. Karl has dissected the dead subjects and learned some interesting things about how the mutation affected the cardio-respiratory systems on the two that failed.

The two surviving subjects have been transferred to natal care, where they appear to be adapting nicely to life. Karl has taken further samples from the two survivors and subjected them to intense scans so he could determine the differences. He seems rather obsessed with the concept of preserving and maybe even correcting the genetic defects in the aberrations.

The second series (Gen-2) subjects are progressing nicely. Without tampering with their lifespan gene sequences, they have exhibited none of the mutations extant in the Gen-1 subjects.

[ November 7 through March 1 are standard updates indicating the continued health of the Gen-2 subjects. ]

Earthdate March 2, 2228 Success!

Sixteen healthy subjects were born today and transferred to natal care. Gen-2 appears to be moving right along on schedule. Admiral Higa is pleased.

Karl, who has apparently abandoned the Gen-2 subjects, has announced that he may well be able to correct the cause of mutation in further generations of subjects. He has, as of yet, been unable to engineer a method of saving the two Gen-1 subjects. Admiral Higa has announced that no further resources are to be wasted on the Gen-1 subjects and has ordered them destroyed.

Karl will be devastated.

Earthdate March 3, 2228 Last entry

This is to be the last journal entry of phase I.

Karl was unable to bring himself to destroy the Gen-1 subjects and forced security to subdue him when they came to do the job themselves. He has been given Administrative leave due to his erratic behavior and transferred off the station. I fear that Admiral Higa will not be kind to him.

Phase II is now in process. The Gen-2 subjects have been transferred to natal care and will be seen to by a different team. Admiral Higa has ordered a halt on further generations until Gen-2 has been observed.

[ END JOURNAL ]

:D

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh...

Based on current progress there will be about 30 pages of tables resulting in about 20 total macro buttons...

Many of the tables are nested, which means that one roll will access a table which may cause a second roll on a subtable, which could result in a third roll on yet another subtable.

All of this is invisible to the user once the tables are setup. Simply call the top level table with the /tbl TableName command, or put it in a macro buttonm then click the button.

Once I have these done I will provide both the word file so you can cut and paste the tables without having retype them, and I will provide a base level Maptools campaign file with all of the tables already in place. The base campaign file will also have standard Hero token properties defined. Then to create a custom Hero campaign just drop in your maps, tokens, and create your macro buttons to call the existing tables. Remember to use Save As and give your campaign a name so you don;t overwrite the base file.

If the GM provides the table names to the players, then the players can also call the tables in their macros and chats.

Now it's time for all good pirates to go beddy bye... "Yawns" nite all :D

Not sure if these are what you are looking for' date=' but this is all I was able to recover after the debacle of trying the ORPG 1.7 upgrade...[/quote']That's it. I forgot about the Taffy stuff, but the journal was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

There will be a slight delay in my completion of the MT Tables, and my being ready to run the PAH game. I am having some health issues that are affecting my ability to get the work done... for the next few days I will be spending some hours at the VA hospital. I should be able to make the game on Thursday night, but if anything changes and I can't make it I will let you know...

There will be a slight delay in my completion of the MT Tables' date=' and my being ready to run the PAH game. I am having some health issues that are affecting my ability to get the work done... for the next few days I will be spending some hours at the VA hospital. I should be able to make the game on Thursday night, but if anything changes and I can't make it I will let you know...[/quote']

Good luck. don't die. thanks.

There will be a slight delay in my completion of the MT Tables' date=' and my being ready to run the PAH game. I am having some health issues that are affecting my ability to get the work done... for the next few days I will be spending some hours at the VA hospital. I should be able to make the game on Thursday night, but if anything changes and I can't make it I will let you know...[/quote']

Take care of yourself.

Starwolf, if you do happen to kick the bucket, that will make two that have gone and I'll be forced to lay down the GM mantle. So don't! :)

Seriously, get well soon and don't worry about the PAH game. I have you all in my capable and slightly demented hands.

Muhahahahahaha **cough** **cough** ha.

Seriously, get well soon and don't worry about the PAH game. I have you all in my capable and slightly demented hands.

Muhahahahahaha **cough** **cough** ha.

Besides, we'll have to have at least one session where Sol writes up a new character and gets them into the game after Ta'Rang gets himself killed. . .

Besides' date=' we'll have to have at least one session where Sol writes up a new character and gets them into the game after Ta'Rang gets himself killed. . .[/quote']Do you think I would ruthlessly gun down one of my player's character? I'm shocked that you think so well of me. :D

Okay, got some bad news and some so-so news.

The bad news is that I have to go into work tomorrow. That will be a pain.

The so-so news is that I should be back on time to game, IF the buses are on schedule. That is about a 30/70 proposition here in Sacramento. So expect me to be late.

It also means that the one day I should have time time to prepare and few distractions, I will be at work for a stinking one hour telephone conference training course that is about as necessary as leaping from a tall building and swan diving into a large iron spike. :rolleyes:

I hate corporations. Especially ones run by sheer stupidity. How this one has lasted I'll never know.

Ok I got some good news and some news enough to piss me off...

The good news is, so far they have not found anything wrong with my heart but I gotta call my doctor next monday for the final result.

The news to piss me off... The whole reason I got called in for a retest, is they thought they spotted a problem with my heart during a nuclear stress test. AND when I showed up for the folow up today, they informed me there had been an error. The picture that showed the problem was from someone elses test. It had somehow gotten attached to my file... and my picture is lost somewhere (probably attached to some other poor slobs record).

So bottom line is they scared the crap out of both Terrie and me becuase of a clerical screw up.

So today they re-did the test and I have to call back on Monday for the results.

So for all you worry warts (I really do appreciate the concern) Wade will be around to save your collective @$$&$ for a long time :D

Nol' date=' any chance you can put your server online so we can go ahead and login till you get there?[/quote']First things first; I can't express in mere words how relieved I am to hear/read you're ok. Truth be told, I was more than a little worried. I'm sure Monday you will hear about your continued good health. I will take credit for that, as a good GM is worth his weight in nutritional supplements. :D (And with my weight, that's a lot! )

Second, I will be happy to start the server and I hope to be home on time anyway.

First things first; I can't express in mere words how relieved I am to hear/read you're ok. Truth be told, I was more than a little worried. I'm sure Monday you will hear about your continued good health. I will take credit for that, as a good GM is worth his weight in nutritional supplements. :D (And with my weight, that's a lot! )

Second, I will be happy to start the server and I hope to be home on time anyway.

Thanks...

and thanks.

:)

1.3.b18 was posted today. It has a few improvements/bug fixes, and a couple bugs still hanging around. I haven't had a chance to test the dice mechanics so we may want to take a shot at that right away.

Also, Battlegrounds was updated and has new dice mechanics for Hero System integrated if anyone wants to check it out.

1.3.b18 was posted today. It has a few improvements/bug fixes, and a couple bugs still hanging around. I haven't had a chance to test the dice mechanics so we may want to take a shot at that right away.

Also, Battlegrounds was updated and has new dice mechanics for Hero System integrated if anyone wants to check it out.

Can someone snag b18 and host it for me... I still can't download directly from the RPtools respository. The wierd part is theirs seems to be the only site I have a prblem with.

Also, can you post a battlegrounds link?

TIA :D