D&D3e to HERO System Conversion Update

Killer Shrike

Made some significant additions and improvements to the D&D3e to HERO System Conversion documents:

D&D 3e to HERO System Conversion Resources

Also added some new Package Deals here and there and some new documents as well as overhauling some of the old resource pages.

I will also be going through the various and sundry Fantasy HERO pages provided on the site and updating them to better fit the overall look & feel changes Ive been instituiting site-wide over the course of the last year.

Re: D&D3e to HERO System Conversion Update

I'm wondering if your site might benefit from a Content Management System of some sort - keep track of articles' date=' sections and dates modified - create RSS feeds, and most importantly - compile articles into PDF downloads.[/quote']

If it were free and didnt require much effort from me, maybe. Gotta new baby and diapers & daycare is a killer, and time is at even more of a premium than ever.

What did you have in mind?

Joomla.

It's halfway there (ie it's free - but not particularly easy to maintain and setup).

I'm still running on the hype of an online magazine I setup and maintain going live :)

http://www.newceres.com

Although I'm not that big on the colour scheme and templates the organisers chose.

Drawbacks of Joomla-

Managing content is at first counter-intuitive (I've found). There are a number of setting for things - what goes in menus, what goes on the front page, what section an article appears in, and whether it is published or not.

It requires PHP and an SQL database.

On the plus side, it also records hits for articles - you can tell how often particular pages are accessed. It also tracks banners if you were advertising.

And while it would require a fair bit of effort to set up - including copying your existing info to the right articles - it would allow you to move articles anywhere you want at any time and update them.

That being said - I do have friends that use Plone for their medieval re-enactment group site. And they seem to like that CMS: http://www.aaf.org.au

CMS programs are more difficult to setup than wikis - but manage data in a more organised way (I've found).

And as usual, I'll help out for free (as I did with the other websites)

Added an Attack Of Opportunity "Feat" to the Feat Conversion document:

Attacks of Opportunity Feat

Opponent Moves More Than 1" To Close To HtH Range With Character

It bears mentioning that you don't provoke an AoO for *entering* a threatened square, only leaving one. If you move straight up to someone, regardless of how much you moved, you don't provoke. Just to nitpick.

It bears mentioning that you don't provoke an AoO for *entering* a threatened square' date=' only leaving one. If you move straight up to someone, regardless of how much you moved, you don't provoke. Just to nitpick.[/quote']

True, but when we played D&D 3e with the 1st release of the PHB it was commonly misinterpreted along those lines, due to the wording of the passage as I recall. Anyway, we had been playing it that way for quite a bit when the AoO rules were clarified, and the group just decided to keep on playing that way out of habit.

Ill change it to reflect though; thanks for the catch.

True, but when we played D&D 3e with the 1st release of the PHB it was commonly misinterpreted along those lines, due to the wording of the passage as I recall. Anyway, we had been playing it that way for quite a bit when the AoO rules were clarified, and the group just decided to keep on playing that way out of habit.

Ill change it to reflect though; thanks for the catch.

Welcome.

Joomla.

It's halfway there (ie it's free - but not particularly easy to maintain and setup).

I'm still running on the hype of an online magazine I setup and maintain going live :)

http://www.newceres.com

Although I'm not that big on the colour scheme and templates the organisers chose.

Drawbacks of Joomla-

Managing content is at first counter-intuitive (I've found). There are a number of setting for things - what goes in menus, what goes on the front page, what section an article appears in, and whether it is published or not.

It requires PHP and an SQL database.

On the plus side, it also records hits for articles - you can tell how often particular pages are accessed. It also tracks banners if you were advertising.

And while it would require a fair bit of effort to set up - including copying your existing info to the right articles - it would allow you to move articles anywhere you want at any time and update them.

That being said - I do have friends that use Plone for their medieval re-enactment group site. And they seem to like that CMS: http://www.aaf.org.au

CMS programs are more difficult to setup than wikis - but manage data in a more organised way (I've found).

And as usual, I'll help out for free (as I did with the other websites)

Hmm...in theory thats neat and all, but Im pretty happy with the way I currently do it. I spend too many hours on my day job messing around and configuring techie things and data -- when Im home and have time to be creative I want a technology that is very transparent and permits me to spend as much time being creative as possible and I have that now.

Thanx for the offer though.

Killer shrike site: the site you go to come across somthing and say"that is really cool":cool:.

then you come back a week later start looking for it again and hours later you say Where is that %@#*$ :cry:

Love you

Lord Ghee

Bookmarks are your friend ;)

On a side note, I've now added PDF support for the Hero Wiki (ie click the link in the bottom right to view the page as a PDF). Still needs some fine tuning - it currently doesn't do images. Plus it shouldn't add the autogenerated content at the beginning

That's a shame - comment you people! I would comment on it, but I'm heavily biased on the subject matter (and also not that uptodate on it).

What I will say is - I appreciate any and all contributions to the Wiki and the effort you have put into it.

Hmm, well if you want to start a separate wiki for the hero system and not use mine (oh well) - then you can set one up quite easily. Most wikis I've found are freeware/cc/sourceforge. I recommend as a beginner to go for one of the text file wikis such as dokuwiki so you needn't set up a database.

http://wiki.splitbrain.org/wiki:DokuWiki