Help Me Pick A Book

JohnTaber

Hi Hero Gang: I'm thinking about running a sort of pulp/steampunk campaign and I am looking for good RPG resources. I've narrowed it down to these two books. If folks have these books which one would you recommend OR would you recommend something else? Note that I have Pulp Hero already. ;) The two books I am considering are GURPS Steampunk or Space 1889.

Thanks! :)

Re: Help Me Pick A Book

Of the two options you have listed, I'd personally go with GURPS Steampunk, since it covers a wider range of campaign settings and possibilities, as opposed to the very narrow focus of Space:1889.

If you're going to be converting to HERO, the GURPS material likely makes for a smoother transition as well, which may also be a selling point. Another selling point is that there are two other books in the GURPS Steampunk series - 'GURPS:SteamTech' and 'GURPS:Screampunk.' The first is a collection of vehicles, gadgets, and weapons for a steampunk universe, and the other talks about running horror-based adventures in a steampunk universe.

Hi Hero Gang: I'm thinking about running a sort of pulp/steampunk campaign and I am looking for good RPG resources. I've narrowed it down to these two books. If folks have these books which one would you recommend OR would you recommend something else? Note that I have Pulp Hero already. ;) The two books I am considering are GURPS Steampunk or Space 1889.

Thanks! :)

Personally, I favor Space 1889 (of course, neither is really pulpish - both being more Victorian SF in flavor). I just felt that Space 1889 handled the general feel of the era better, but the author had the advantage of being able to maintain a narrower focus (Steampunk tries to cram a lot more stuff into it's pages).

Disclaimer: I am a long time Space 1889 fanboy.

Personally' date=' I favor Space 1889 (of course, neither is really pulpish - both being more Victorian SF in flavor). [/quote']

I'm actually not 100% sure what I want to do but I have heard a lot of good things about Space 1889 so I may opt for that one. Sounds like I need to save my pennies and get both... ;)

Darn...I need Thrilling Places too! :D

Space :1889 is very good as a steampunk resource. Don't have GURPS Steampunk, so I honestly cannot make a proper comparison. However, if anywhere near the standards of most other GURPS products, it would be pretty good as well.

Just don't try to use 1889's character generation or combat rules as written - they are incomplete and generally FUBARed. This game came out during GDW's terminal decline, enough said.

• 2 weeks later...

GURPS Steampunk is excellent. In the same vein' date=' I'd also recommend Terra Incognita, the NAGS book from Grey Ghost (a FUDGE Victorian-era exploration/weird-science game)- less punk, more Welles and Verne, but really well done and pretty easy to adapt. dw[/quote']

I love it. Two days ago I found Terra Incognito at by searching for "Pulp RPG" on Google. When I went to the Terra Incognito site I was very impressed by the support it gives (downloads, links, etc). They even have daily links to places where you can get good support data and the book came out 3 or 4 years ago! The back cover text, which is also on the site, exactly describes the type of world travelling pulp game that I want to run when I finish my Star Hero game. I went to Noble Knight Games and found it cheap. It is in the mail now. ;)

Anyway' date=' If you go the GURPS route be sure and check out the Castle Falkenstein books that were adapted to GURPS. they are excellent.[/quote']

And the Forgotten Futures stuff by Marcus Rowland. And anything in the Wold Newton universe. Google searches will find these for you.

Mary Ann

Man I hate the term "Steam-Punk". there is nothing "punk" about the Victorian era. Anyway' date=' If you go the GURPS route be sure and check out the Castle Falkenstein books that were adapted to GURPS. they are excellent.[/quote']

Here is a cool site that might help you out.

http://codepoet.org/~markw/gurps/