Absorption to Multiple Characteristics?

dbcowboy

So, say I've got 5d6 Absorption vs. Physical and paid for the +1/2 advantage to allow the absorbed points to got to Str and Con. Now, if I roll 6 body do I?:

a) add 5 points to Str and 6 points to Con (for +6 Str/+3 Con)

B) add a combination of Str and Con that totals to 6, so maybe 3 to Str and 3 to Con (for +3 Str/+2 Con or +3 if you round up)

While I like option a) it seems a little powerful so not sure I understood correctly.

Re: Absorption to Multiple Characteristics?

Originally posted by dbcowboy

So, say I've got 5d6 Absorption vs. Physical and paid for the +1/2 advantage to allow the absorbed points to got to Str and Con. Now, if I roll 6 body do I?:

a) add 5 points to Str and 6 points to Con (for +6 Str/+3 Con)

B) add a combination of Str and Con that totals to 6, so maybe 3 to Str and 3 to Con (for +3 Str/+2 Con or +3 if you round up)

While I like option a) it seems a little powerful so not sure I understood correctly.

Option A is the closest. You would actually be able to add up to 6 points to Strength as well, though.

Just remember:

1. You have to be hit with physical damage before this kicks in, hence unless you take physical damage during a segment you won't be adding any points.
  2. The absorption in no way protects you from that damage -- just causes it to empower you as well.
  3. Unless you buy down the decay rate, those points fade fairly quickly. They'll usually last enough for one combat, but that's not always enough...

On a related subject, I want to make sure I understand correctly:

Absorbed points fade even if the target of the Absorption is below starting value?

So if I have an END Reserve of 100 END that has no REC of its own and is recharged solely by Absorption, it loses 10 END per Turn until down to zero?

This sucks as the PC in question starts DYING if his END Reserve goes to zero.

If that is correct, the way to finagle around it is this:

REC 10 for the END Reserve, only to offset fade (-1/2). Sound about right?

Actually, the concept might call for REC 8, since he uses his END Reserve to power his life force as well. However, losing 2 END per Turn is very harsh - he'd never get any sleep unless hooked up to a wall outlet. That was not quite the level of Energy Dependence I had in mind.

I'd prefer to define it as REC 10 with a -1 Lim that encompasses the fade rate deal as above and that he uses 1-10 END per hour depending on how active he is. That is, the REC would be 9 when he is awake. Any more active, and it would fall under STR or movement END use (all of which drain the Reserve).

However, none of this is necessary if my first assumption is incorrect.

No.

If a character is below starting values for ANY reason, and has the attribute enhanced by Aid, Absorption, or any beneficial Adjustment power, the enhancements are permanent, i.e. they DO NOT FADE. You'll notice that the cost of Healing is based directly off the cost for Aid, i.e. 1d6 per 10 Active points.

Sorry Wyrm - for better or worse, this has been changed in 5th Ed. Which is also why Healing is a seperate power now.

Points from any adjustment power except Healing fade regardless of relative current and starting values. It's more balenced rules wise, but it makes it much harder to build some power concepts IMO. Like vampire bites, for example - you now have to build linked drain/heal rather than just transfer if you want a vampire to heal by biting people.

Michael

The situation that comes to mind would be thus:

PowerSapper hits MrAid with his 3d6 Str Drain bought with the advantage that the points don't return for 20 minutes. MrAid uses his 3d6 aid powers to boost his Str but without any increased fade time.

If MrAid's boost was permenant just because his Str was below it's starting value due to PowerSapper's drain, then without paying for any advantages he's effectively nixed the points PowerSapper spent to lower his drain's fade rate. That just doesn't seem right.

Now, here's my question: MrAid boost his Str to the maximum amount (nothing but 6's for 3 phases, it was incredible, wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it, trust me, really). So, Str boosted up 18 points from it's previous value when turn ends. 5 points dissipate (now only +13 Str due to Aid). At his next opportunity is he now able to use his Aid to try to make up those 5 points or must he wait until the entire boosted amount has faded?

Originally posted by Wyrm Ouroboros

Well, that sucks. I hadn't caught that.

Doesn't suck as much as you might think, Wyrm. This way, you can prevent an Aid/Absorb/Transfer from too cheaply counteracting a Drain with the decay rate bought back. Drain is a little overcosted for what it actually delivers, especially compared to Suppress (and that goes DOUBLE if you're using the new, "cumulative" Suppress rule).

True, you can still counteract it with the Healing power -- but that Healing power can *only* be used to bring things back to where they belong instead of also serving to buff the character. If you allow a temporary buffing power to counteract a long-term drain completely, Drain becomes that much more overcosted.

Besides, if you've ever seen the Healing Absorb in action (AKA the Real Healing Factor) under 4th Edition, you know it can get out of hand in a hurry.

Originally posted by dbcowboy

Now, here's my question: MrAid boost his Str to the maximum amount (nothing but 6's for 3 phases, it was incredible, wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it, trust me, really). So, Str boosted up 18 points from it's previous value when turn ends. 5 points dissipate (now only +13 Str due to Aid). At his next opportunity is he now able to use his Aid to try to make up those 5 points or must he wait until the entire boosted amount has faded?

He can immediately go back to work with Aid. Technically he can aid it even though the cap is in effect, you just get no benefit from doing so...