Haruhi Suzumiya HERO?

Michael Hopcroft

And now for something completely different:

One of the most-talked-of anime series of the 2006 season in Japan would be a truly bizarre comedy called The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, which tells the story of a girl who wants to part of ordinary humans and believes the world to be an incredibly strange place full of aliens, espers, time travelers, mystics, and all sorts of other absurd things. This causes most people to believe she is utterly insane and be unwilling to deal with her.

That she may be absolutely correct does not appear to make her any less insane....

The series follows the adventures of Haruhi and her S.O.S. Brigade (do you really want to know?) as they undertake her delusional adventures. In a typical episode, they go to a deserted island villa because Haruhi thinks it would be a perfect chance for her to play Great Detective when the inevitable murder occurs while the island is cut off from civilization -- something no rational person would expect to happen until it actually does.

Does Haruhi really know something about the world nobody else does? Or is she so crazy that her very presence reduces the rationality quotient of everything she touches?

Re: Haruhi Suzumiya HERO?

Warning, incoming acronym assault.

I've thought about it plenty, but the only way to express Haruhi is a massive VPP with IPE and NCC. Statting up the rest might come soon. Talk about an interesting point spread for those characters.

Remind me what IPE stands for. I admit, though, a Cosmic VPP with No Conscious Control is, in itself, really, really scary.

I would totally go into an explanation on how Lone Island Syndrome makes a perfect example of how this all works, except that I can't figure out how to work these confounded spoiler tags, and I dare not ruin any part of a series as awesome as Haruhi.

Between this and Ouran High School Host Club, characters named Haruhi=Amazing anime.

Oh man....I hated that series with a deep purple passion. Forget which episode I stopped watching it at but do recall telling a friend how I thought it would end and nailed it almost perfectly.

It's really one of those things that no rational GM would allow in his game other than as an NPC and then the players would probably feel that they'd been railroaded into particular courses of action.

• 2 weeks later...

It is. Oddly enough, it hasn't been licensed to America yet5, but they are fielding offers and it's probably going to be one of the bigger announcements of the winter -- and a big prize for whoever lands it.

Whatever power Haurhi has seems to work this way: She hates being bored. She wants excitement. Somehow, the Universe senses this desire of hers for excitement and will go out of its way to accommodate it. Most of the rest of the regular cast are there specificially because of this tendency and are trying to find some way to use it to their advantage or prevent it from royally screwing them over.

That is, except for Kyon, who seems to mainly be swept up in her wake and have little idea how to deal with it. He may or may not be in love with Haruhi, who is attractive and somewhat experienced but severely commitment-phobic.