Need disads for new hero

argent

I am attempting to get together a bunch of (mostly) new players for Champions. All but one are new to the Hero System, and a couple are new to roleplaying. I am winding up creating most of the PC's, after consulting with the players about what kind of character they would like.

The character I'm currently working on ("Unnamed Anime-ted Hero") is essentially a character from a children's anime series transformed into flesh & blood. He's mostly a martial artist with some cartoony/videogame-type powers. The character is a lot like the Arnold Schwartzenegger character in "The Last Action Hero"; he knows all about the world of the TV show he came from, but not much about the "real" world. The character itself came together pretty quickly, but I am having trouble coming up with sufficient disadvantages-any help would be appreciated.

So far I have:

Distinctive Features: Big Eyes, Small Mouth (Easily Concealable), 5 pts.

DNPC-child (Incompetent, 8<); 15 pts.

This is the kid who (accidentally)brought him to life. The kid thinks of UAH as pet or toy, and is always trying to get UAH to beat up the big kids that are picking on him, or come to his school to impress his friends. This annoys UAH, but he feels a need to protect the kid, if for no other reason than he is not sure how closely their fates are connected.

Code Vs. Killing; 20 pts.

Overconfidence, (Common, Strong); 15 pts

Proud/Vengeful, Common, Strong); 15 pts

Reputation-Anime Cartoon Character, 8<; 5 pts.

Those who watch the cartoon and therefore recognize him frequently assume he is a somewhat nutty "fan" of the show.

Cultural Fish-out-of-Water; 20 pts.

He knows how to fight, he knows the world of the show ("Dragon Hunter B"), and that's about it. He can't drive or use an ATM, probably can't even use a phone (unless it's one of those sci-fi wall-sized video phones), has no idea what the significance of 911 is, or the difference between 911 and 9/11.

As you can see, that totals just 95 pts. worth of disads-I need 55 more. Suggestions?

Well, all good superheroes have arch-nemeses. And most that are sucked from an alternate dimension have one from their old dimension. So pick one of those up. He may or may not be from an alternate dimension, but the character probably thinks so (rather than simply a magical construct made from imagination, or some such thing).

Lots of anime characters have strange quirks, obsessions, hobbies, and phobias. For example, many react strangely to the opposite of sex. From what I can tell from your description, it sounds like a character who would be on some sort of mission. Give him some sort of "futile" mission, like trying to obtain the last 37 Octahedrons of Civeraku, or something. Something like that would mesh well with your archnemesis. The items may or may not exist in this reality, but that won't stop them from constantly wasting time trying to find and control them (and villains can bait the character with them). Or maybe his obsession is to simply get home.

Heh, first thing that came to mind as a disad for an anime martial artist was uncontrolled transform to opposite gender when in contact with water. :P

For example, many react strangely to the opposite of sex.

Nose bleeds when a pretty woman pays attention to him.

Loses his powers under certain conditions is a somewhat common disad. For a character from video, susceptibility to water may work

From what I can tell from your description, it sounds like a character who would be on some sort of mission.

Yeah, sounds like he'd be trying to get back, or get something then get back to his own world.

Originally posted by Tom McCarthy

One of the guys in my campaign is a martial artist possessed by a Chinese spirit, making him a 'Ninja Her'-styled cinema hero. He is poorly dubbed (DF: Mouth movements do not match spoken words; hard to roleplay, but lots of fun).

Not that hard... but then, I practiced this technique as a kid and as a result this is a perpetual party gag for me.