[Space Wizards] Magical Constructs

BobGreenwade

For those of you not following the whole "Space Wizards" idea, this is a setting I've been working over for potential self-publication. It takes place in the 36th century of the Hero Universe, where space travel is real but magic also works -- a melding on high fantasy and space opera.

So now that I've filled in that background: what sort of "magical constructs" might be specific to the setting? The couple I've come up with so far are golems made of fabric and plastic, but something related to homonculi, or constructs specific to certain alien species, would be great.

Re: [space Wizards] Magical Constructs

Hmm... my first thought is a blending of the conventions of magic and technology. For example, cybernetically-enhanced skeletons and zombies, or golems made of duralloy, neutronium or questionite. Speaking of golems, some could be powered by kelvarite "hearts" granting them various superpowers.

Since the Xenovores are part of your setting, I say go to town on new genotypes which they can grow with the aid of magic: winged Xenovores, giant Xenovores, web-spinning Xenovores, fire-breathing Xenovores, etc. :eg:

Really powerful psionic species such as the Mandaarians, Varanyi or Thane may be able to focus their mental energies to create their own versions of tulpas to act as their superpowered agents or champions.

Of course the Qularr are aboard, so homegrown giant monsters are a given. ;)

Iron Council by China Meiville has some rather esoteric golem ideas you might want to consider.

A golem trap (you attach it to a surface and that material is animated into a golem when set off)

A sound golem

A time golem (those attacked go into stasis, or age)

Likewise with the technomage blending ideas, you could put an AI mind in a golem body. Best of both worlds.

Other obvious magical constructs would be spaceships and spacestations of course.

Here's a thought: the adherents of the Mon'dabi minority religion, Telgasa (which holds that water is the source of life, not fire) were sometimes accused by the majority Rhigasa worshippers of sorcery. In Space Wizards this accusation could be true. One manifestation of their sorcery can be the animation of "water elementals."

The appearance of elementals, cybernetic zombies, and golems made of super-alloys are all interesting ideas. The first I'd already assumed, and the other two I'll definitely add. But here's another example of what I'm really looking for:

Alchemists and enchanters of certain worlds have learned to animate, in the manner of a homonculus, a man-sized pile of sand. This creature, which goes by various names on various worlds, bears all the standard "Automaton Powers" as well as abilities related to its being made of sand.

Um, I'm not quite sure what focus the above example is illustrating. What you're describing is more like a golem or sand elemental, rather than a homunculus (traditionally a miniature human or humanoid being constructed or grown through alchemy). There's also nothing about your example that makes it specific to any of the Hero Universe alien races.

However, following from this example, you could create animates out of all sorts of natural materials: wood or plants, ice, mud, etc. It shouldn't be hard to visualize appropriate powers for them. Lots of fantasy games have described such creatures.

Perhaps you could elaborate further on what you're going for? :)

Um' date=' I'm not quite sure what focus the above example is illustrating. What you're describing is more like a golem or sand elemental, rather than a homunculus (traditionally a miniature human or humanoid being constructed or grown through alchemy). There's also nothing about your example that makes it specific to any of the Hero Universe alien races.[/quote']Sorry 'bout that -- I was posting in a hurry.

I hadn't made clear that the ideas don't have to be specific to a single race. The above example is something I'd give mainly to Henamakites, Toractans, and Zarr.

And yes, the creature (I gave it a name, but that's on another computer and I can't remember it) would look more like a golem or sand elemental by the description I gave here, though in the more detailed description the processes of creation are more homonculus-like.

I've also been pondering some sort of construct similar to the Scarecrow from The Wizard of Oz, but minus the sentience.

What about animating the matter between planets? For solar systems with asteroid belts, perhaps several of the smaller asteroids could be animated together to form an asteroid golem.

On a larger scale one of more asteroids could be given magical propulsion and used as ships. Multiple asteroid ships could orbit each other to provide stronger gravity.

Asteroids could be animated to orbit and guards ships. They could be used to push objects out of the way if they get too close to the ship or if they are in the ship's path.

What about animating the matter between planets? For solar systems with asteroid belts, perhaps several of the smaller asteroids could be animated together to form an asteroid golem.

On a larger scale one of more asteroids could be given magical propulsion and used as ships. Multiple asteroid ships could orbit each other to provide stronger gravity.

Asteroids could be animated to orbit and guards ships. They could be used to push objects out of the way if they get too close to the ship or if they are in the ship's path.

Now that really rocks! :dyn

For a more unusual idea, how about a Worm Hole Golem.

By their nature, worm holes need an origin as well as a destination. Thus creating a Worm Hole Golem is a two stage process. First a Singularity Golem must be created. These are little more than pinpoints of light that move around as directed by their masters. A worm hole waiting to be opened, but with no place to go.

Once a Singularity Golem gains in age, strength and power, it is able to split off a child and thus evolves into a Worm Hole Golem. It now has an origin and a destination and can finally open a worm hole between itself and its child. Once open, objects can be passed back and forth between the two ends in a fraction of time.

As the golems gain in strength and age, they are able to create more children which can be left in more places. Each time a child is created, the golem will also gain another corresponding pinprick of light as part of its core body.

Initially each end of the portal is only about a foot in diameter. As the golem gains in strength and creates a new child, the maximum diameter increases by a 1 foot increment. So not only can very old golems have a versatile array of destinations, but they can transport increasingly large objects (ie. small vehicles or even armies.)

The children of these golems are singularities of light until their parents open them into wormholes. But they are not golems themselves, they are not free willed and will never evolve into golems. The parent can open and close the worm holes between them and their children at will and can move their children to wherever they wish. But these children can only move at normal running speeds and must actually pass through real space to get there.

Children of Worm Hole Golems have also been used for devistating destruction as well. Placed in the depths of an ocean will result in a guyser of water being summoned at will, while a child in the depths of a fiery volcano can produce lava flows or spouts. Near a sun can produce daylight at will, while in a sun can release devistating radiation attacks or an unlimited energy source A more benign use could be a deep space garbage desposal. For the less ambitous mage, a Worm Hole Golem may just be an easy way to travel between summer homes on planets on the far side of the galaxy or a shortcut to the refridgerator.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay...just to be clear, a "child" of the golem can basically appear anywhere in the universe as directed by the golem (or its master) but thereafter can only move from its origin point at about the speed of a running man?

Lucius Alexander

I can outrun it on a palindromedary, that's a relief...oh no! Another one opened right in my pa