OIHID vs Multiform?

jkwleisemann

Putting it here largely because it's usually something that comes up in Superhero games (at least for me).

When do you think it's appropriate to use one versus the other?

For example, it's generally considered 'common wisdom' that a werewolf character should use Multiform... even if he has full control over himself in both forms and can change at will.

On the other hand, Johnny Storm/Human Torch type setups are usually represented with OIHID rather than Multiform... despite the fact that, compared to Werewolf Boy up above, there's about the same level of difference between the two.

What's the point where you draw the line, as a player or GM?

Re: OIHID vs Multiform?

Generally, if the character LOSES access to something by changing into his Hero ID, I usually use Multiform. Bruce Banner (usually) ceases being a brilliant physicist when he turns into the Hulk. The alternative to this is to let the character have a bunch of his base forms abilities as "Not In Hero ID", but I've known GM's that look down on that.

More importantly however, it's best to use Multiform when the characters Disadvantages are different between the two forms.

I would not, for the record, use OIHID for the Human Torch. Johnny can use some are all of his powers selectively as he needs. The "Flame On!" bit is nothing more then a catch phrase, unlike Billy Batson saying "Shazam!".

Would the mutiple shapes also include things like having different armors for different situations?

Kind of akin to Iron Man's having more than one suit but with greater differences...

I've been thinking on making a character that is technically savvy and building different armor sets for different applications... so a heavy suit for big extravaganzas and a light suit for lighter situations, a flight suit for scouting/recon/mobility... that sort of thing.

- Young

Would the mutiple shapes also include things like having different armors for different situations?

Kind of akin to Iron Man's having more than one suit but with greater differences...

I've been thinking on making a character that is technically savvy and building different armor sets for different applications... so a heavy suit for big extravaganzas and a light suit for lighter situations, a flight suit for scouting/recon/mobility... that sort of thing.

- Young

That would be an excellent use of Multiform, each form a completely different suit of armor. Don't forget the Extra Time Limitation to switch suits.

There are several options to do something like this.

For a fairly run of the mill Power Armor character, OIHID works very well...this character is very similar for instance:

War-Man (OIHID)

Later on the character, a human / robot hybrid developed another "hero form" and was switched to a Multiform liks so:

War-Man (Thomas form)

War-Man (Blaster form)

War-Man (Basher form)

However, Focus can also be used ... such as this character that wears Powered Armor bought as a focus:

Green Knight

And here is a character that wears Power Armor built as a Vehicle (the Powered Armor Suit link):

Mr. Goodspeed

And here is another character that has no physical form and uses a robotic body as a harness to interact with the normal world...:

ERG-9

ERG-9 Suit

Personally, I use OIHID when the character can basically activate their powered form at will, though it may take some time to actually accomplish it. If they need something to turn the powers on with then Focus or something equivalent is the way I go, and if they are shifting into forms that lack the basic abilities of the base form then Multiform is the way I go.

And of course any time 3 or more forms are involved its pretty much automatically a Multiform for me.

That would be an excellent use of Multiform' date=' each form a completely different suit of armor. Don't forget the Extra Time Limitation to switch suits.[/quote']

honestly, I feel a bit guilty using extra time... just one minute is a -1 1/4 limitation, bringing 4x 350 point characters for 32 points.... yeesh. Yet I don't see him switching easily, and being stuck in the wrong suit for the situation would be very appropriate.

In all honesty, though, the character is really just a vehicle to use some excellent miniatures I found which are all sci-fi anime-esque with power suits. =) Multiple forms to allow for multiple miniatures that I really like that are all in the same overall aspect... but very limited in scope.

honestly' date=' I feel a bit guilty using extra time... just one minute is a -1 1/4 limitation, bringing 4x 350 point characters for 32 points.... yeesh. Yet I don't see him switching easily, and being stuck in the wrong suit for the situation would be very appropriate.[/quote']

So go for "only change under specific circumstances" (-1/2) which simulates that you need to go home to change suits.

cheers, Mark

I use OIHID for a form that purely adds powers to the character. OIHID is the easy and simple way to do it.

If you have more than one alternate form, or you need to do more than just add powers (i.e. reduce characteristics, skills, change disadvantages, etc) then multiform is the way to go.

I guess I just think of OIHID as the "mini multiform" for when you don't want two character sheets for one character whose abilities really aren't all that complex.

-Nate