Martial Arts Element vs. PSL

Sociotard

I was rereading the "Ranged Marial Arts" section of TUMa, specifically page 100 where it talks about the "Rng +" Element, which is basically just a PSL for range.

So, if we can put a range PSL in a martial art, has anyone tried tweaking the rules to allow other PSLs too, like vs. Hit Locations or vs. Sweep Modifiers? It seems like it might be unbalancing, just because the powergamer in me really likes it.

Re: Martial Arts Element vs. PSL

I'm not sure I understand the question. You can purchase PSLs to reduce range penalties, you can also purchase a 2pt CSL (a very cheap +1, and more efficient than purchasing a 5 pt. penalized one) and thus make Head Shots super easy. On the flip side, you can purchase a 5 pt CSL (Only for Head Shots, -1/2) and start annihilating people left and right, should the GM allow it.

Me? NEVER. But hey, you could do it that way.

Here, I'll provide an example of what I'm talking about

Consider Basic Shot as described on page 9 of TUMa

Basic Shot

Phase 1/2

Cost 4

OCV +0

DCV +0

Rng +2 (costs 2 points)

Dammage/Effect Strike, +2 DC (costs 2 points)

As built, this attack provides +2 OCV vs. range modifier and an extra 2 DC dammage. It has, in essence, a +2 PSL vs. range built in.

Lets use the example to build a Martial Rapid Fire

Martial Rapid Fire

Phase 1/2

Cost 4

OCV +0

DCV +0

Rng +0

Rapid +2 (Costs 2 points)

Dammage/Effect Strike, +2 DC (costs 2 points)

This attack also grants an extra 2 DC dammage, but rather than provide +2 to counter the range modifier, it has +2 vs Rapid Fire penalties.

I'm not sure I understand the question.

The question is, "Has anyone created more Elements for Custom Martial Maneuvers than those listed in the book.

On the surface, as the example, the Range+ Element is basically incorporating a PSL vs Range Modifiers for the Custom Maneuver that uses it.

frex:

Accurate Shot: Base- Strike Helpful Elements- Rng +2 (2pts) DC +2 (2pts)

So the final Maneuver is:

Accurate Shot: 1/2 Phase; 4 Pts; +0 OCV; +0 DCV; Strike + 2 Damage Classes, +2 vs Range Penalties.

Another example along those lines is perhaps: HLoc Element: +1 vs Hit Locations. Following perhaps the same guidelines as Rng+ the HLoc+ is 1 pt per +1 vs Hit Locations up to +4, +2 pts per +1 for the next 4 poitns. up to +8.

The question is' date=' "Has anyone created more Elements for Custom Martial Maneuvers than those listed in the book.[/quote'] Yes. Thank you. For a Writing Minor, sometimes I have a really hard time expressing myself.

Sounds cool to me.. I've thought of something similiar' date=' but it was using Lightning Reflexes built into the manuever.. So a Fast Strike would really be a Fast Strike![/quote'] Yeah! So in TUMa we have:

Element STR+

Description +1 per +5 STR up to +10 STR, +2 points per additional +5 STR

Maximum +20

Now I'd go straight to DEX rather than Lightning reflexes, so maybe:

Element DEX+

Description +1 per +2 DEX up to +4 DEX, +2 points per additional +2 DEX

Maximum +8

It'd have to be tweaked to figure out what was fair, but you get the idea.