Ejector Seats?

Trebuchet

I've been designing my first vehicle (a flying submarine a la Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea), and have naturally added ejector seats. This is the design I came up with. I was wondering if anyone has another (probably better) way to build them?

Ejection Seats: Teleportation 5", Usable By Other (x8 Number of Targets +1) (20 Active Points); 1 Charges (-2), Can Only Teleport To 5" Outside Vehicle (Only in Flight) Fixed Locations (-1), Must Pass Through Intervening Space (-1/4), No Noncombat Movement (-1/4)

That works fine Trebuchet. Might consider adding Trigger: about to crash so that the ejector works even if the pilot is incapacitated.

The official way to do it ala Bob G. is good too, except it does account for weight (which makes more sense -- an ejector seat should have trouble with a dense character), which might cause problems in some circumstance (if your character is particularly heavy, or on a hi-G planet, etc).

You also might want to consider building the parachute in with the ejector seat as a Compound Power along with a beacon, because all three are built into the chair in most aircraft (along with a seperate survival kit and in some cases a fancy 1 man raft thingy).

Originally posted by Killer Shrike

The official way to do it ala Bob G. is good too, except it doesnt account for weight (which makes more sense -- an ejector seat should have trouble with a dense character), which might cause problems in some circumstance (if your character is particularly heavy, or on a hi-G planet, etc).

Wait a minute... the main reason I lobbied for using Telekinesis (as opposed to Leaping UAA, which was Steve's tendency while I was writing TUV) is specifically because it does account for weight, gravity, and such considerations. Movement Powers UAA don't take those into account -- they throw a target the same distance whether he weighs 2 grams or 2 tons. And that's the logic that won Steve over to my way of thinking (one of only two areas I can think of offhand where I succeeded in doing so).

Originally posted by BobGreenwade

Wait a minute... the main reason I lobbied for using Telekinesis (as opposed to Leaping UAA, which was Steve's tendency while I was writing TUV) is specifically because it does account for weight, gravity, and such considerations. Movement Powers UAA don't take those into account -- they throw a target the same distance whether he weighs 2 grams or 2 tons. And that's the logic that won Steve over to my way of thinking (one of only two areas I can think of offhand where I succeeded in doing so).

Im agreeing with you....where I say "it doesnt account for weight"; its a typo -- it should read "it does account for weight", as the elaboration indicates. Sorry! :)

Also, Bob, do you off hand remember when the Longshot article in Haymaker that outlined the changes Steve had added to the 5th Edition draft manuscript was printed? I was thinking 97 or early 98, but cant remember. Thanx!

Originally posted by BobGreenwade

From TUV, page 165:

Telekinesis (26 STR) (39 Active Points); OIF Bulky (-1), Affects Whole Object (-1/4), No Range (-1/2), Only To Throw Target Straight Up (-2), 1 Recoverable Charge (-1 1/4). Total Cost: 6 points.

:D

My only quible with this is the recoverable charge. In real life you don't really recover the seat; it usually gets destroyed when if hits the ground. Just food for thought...

Aroooo

Originally posted by Aroooo

My only quible with this is the recoverable charge. In real life you don't really recover the seat; it usually gets destroyed when if hits the ground. Just food for thought...

Aroooo

In this case, "Recovery" means buying a new seat.