OBELISK - A new character to review please.

aylwin13

How does this character look to you guys? I’d appreciate comments and suggestions on the build. This is a PC for the Ravenswood part of our campaign. My char is supposed to be a stone version of Colossus. I went with OIHID on the powers and such (instead of a Multiform). He starts as a 14 year-old who’s about 5’2” and weighs 130# or so. When he changes to his stone form he grows to 7’5” and 450#. He gains 2/3 of the stats and powers that are suggested in the size templates in 5ER for a being 2x normal size. He can also grow another 30’ (30 pts of Growth). I’ve added some Running and Leaping which are “linked” in portions to his Growth. It’s been a real PIMA trying to get this build to feel right, but I think I might have finally got it. Please let me know what you think. I'm still finishing up his background. I'll add it when I'm done.

Obelisk

Val Char Cost

8/20/50 STR -2

18 DEX 24

10/20 CON 0

10/12/15/18 BODY 0

18 INT 8

13 EGO 6

10/20 PRE 0

12 COM 1

4/18 PD 0

4/18 ED 2

3/4 SPD 2

6/8 REC 0

20/40 END 0

22/52 STUN -3

6"/9”/12”15" RUN 0

2" SWIM 0

2”/7"/13”/19" H

1”/3.5”/6.5”/9.5”V LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 38

Cost Power END

5 Change to Obelisk: Cosmetic Transform 2d6 (standard effect: 6 points) (character into hero form and vice versa) (10 Active Points); Limited Target (hero form; -1/2), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2) 1

Notes: The change to Obelisk form (and back again) takes a Full Phase, with no other action. The change cannot be made while char is inhibited through mechanical or psychic means.

Base Obelisk form, all slots OIHID (-1/4)

10 1) +12 STR (10 Active Points) 1

3 2) +2 BODY (4 Active Points)

16 3) +10 CON (20 Active Points)

8 4) +10 PRE (10 Active Points)

2 5) +2 ED

8 6) +1 SPD (10 Active Points)

14 7) +17 STUN (17 Active Points)

3 8) KB Resistance -2" (4 Active Points) 0

5 9) Long Legs I: Running +3" (6"/15" total) (6 Active Points) 1

2 10) Long Legs II: Leaping +3" (7"/19" forward, 3 1/2"/9 1/2" upward) (3 Active Points) 1

7 11) Even Longer legs I: Running +6" (6"/15" total) (12 Active Points); (+3" / +3") (-1/2) [Notes: Linked to Larger Obelisk form; character gains +3" per 15 pts of Growth activated.] 1

6 12) Even Longer legs II: Leaping +6" (7"/19" forward, 3 1/2"/9 1/2" upward) (Accurate) (11 Active Points); (+3" / +3") (-1/2) [Notes: Linked to Larger Obelisk form; character gains +3" per 15 pts of Growth activated.] 1

37 13) Stone Skin: (Total: 46 Active Cost, 37 Real Cost) +14 PD (Real Cost: 14) plus +10 ED (Real Cost: 10) plus Damage Resistance (18 PD/18 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (22 Active Points) (Real Cost: 18) 0

12 14) Stone Form: LS (Safe in High Pressure; Safe in Intense Cold; Safe in Intense Heat; Self-Contained Breathing) (15 Active Points) 0

4 15) Lack of Weakness (-5) for Normal Defense (5 Active Points) 0

13 16) +6 with DCV (30 Active Points); cannot raise DCV past base value (-1)

24 Larger Obelisk form: Growth (+30 STR, +6 BODY, +6 STUN, -6" KB, 13,122 kg, -4 DCV, +4 PER Rolls to perceive character, 9 m tall, 4.5 m wide) (30 Active Points); OIHID (-1/4) 3

6 Expert Climber: Clinging (21/51 STR) (10 Active Points); Requires A Climbing Roll (-1/2), Cannot Resist Knockback (-1/4) 0

Powers Cost: 185

Cost Skill

Everyman Skills

0 1) Acting 8-

3 2) Climbing 13-

0 3) Concealment 8-

0 4) Conversation 8-

0 5) Deduction 8-

0 6) Language: English (idiomatic) (4 Active Points)

3 7) Paramedics 13-

0 8) Persuasion 8-

0 9) Shadowing 8-

0 10) Stealth 8-

0 11) TF: Cars & Trucks

1 12) CK: Santa Fe, NM (Hometown) 11-

3 Breakfall 13-

3 PS: X-Games competitor (climber) 12-

2 KS: The Superhuman World 11-

3 KS: Mountain / rock climbing 13-

2 Survival (Mountain) 13-

Skills Cost: 20

Cost Perk

5 Money: Well Off

Perks Cost: 5

Cost Talent

2 Environmental Movement (no penalties while climbing)

Talents Cost: 2

Total Character Cost: 250

Val Disadvantages

15 Soc Lim: Secret ID (Frequently, Major)

10 DF: Mutant (Not Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable Only By Unusual Senses)

10 Soc Lim: Minor (under 16) (Frequently, Minor) [Notes: Can't drive / can't see R-rated movies / can't see a doctor without parent's or guardian's permission / etc.]

4 Phys Lim: Large (7'5", 452 lbs., -2 DCV and +2 to PER rolls to perceive char) (Infrequently, Slightly Impairing, OIHID)

4 Phys Lim: Cannot swim in Obelisk form (Infrequently, Slightly Impairing, OIHID)

0 Rivalry: Professional (X-Games Climbing competitor; Rival is Less Powerful; Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival; Rival Aware of Rivalry)

4 Vuln: 1 1/2 x STUN Water attacks (Uncommon; OIHID)

4 Vuln: 1 1/2 x BODY Water attacks (Uncommon; OIHID)

15 DNPC: Parents 8- (Normal; Group DNPC: x2 DNPCs)

15 Psych Lim: Sense of Responsibility (Common, Strong)

20 Psych Lim: Will Not Kill (Common, Total)

1 Quirk: Has a crush on Silhouette

Disadvantage Points: 102

Base Points: 150

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 10

Experience Unspent: 10

Re: A new character to review please.

Buy 0 End as a naked advantage on your first 5 pts of growth. For the 2 pts, that'll get you a +5 STR, +1 BODY, +1 STUN, and -1" Knockback while doubling your mass that you can use all the time in your transformed mode at 7'5". It may even be worth it to get it on the first 10 pts (+10 STR, +2 BODY, +2 STUN, and -2" KO, mass is x4, for 5 pts) and define your 7'5" height as weighing 520lbs.

Buy 0 End as a naked advantage on your first 5 pts of growth. For the 2 pts' date=' that'll get you a +5 STR, +1 BODY, +1 STUN, and -1" Knockback while doubling your mass that you can use all the time in your transformed mode at 7'5". It may even be worth it to get it on the first 10 pts (+10 STR, +2 BODY, +2 STUN, and -2" KO, mass is x4, for 5 pts) and define your 7'5" height as weighing 520lbs.[/quote']

Having done so, I would take out the Phys Lim that only applies in Hero ID. You could also make that Growth peristent to indicate he remains in "Obelisk form" if stunned or KO'd.

If he's made of stone in obelisk form, why doesn't his instant change provide him with Density Increase as well?

Finally, what prevents or shuts off his hero form? OIHID requires some means of prevention/reversal as a limitation.

Finally, what prevents or shuts off his hero form? OIHID requires some means of prevention/reversal as a limitation.

I thought SocLim (Secret ID) was enough for that - using his powers will uniquely identify him as a superhero, and there are enough social pressures for him to not want that to be known to the public at large. Thus, he will automatically shut his powers off before attempting to identify himself as not-Obelisk. Which, as a kid in high school, is probably going to be quite often.

Or is there something in the writeup of OIHID that states that there needs to be some sort of physical/mechanical way to change? I don't have the book in front of me.

For this Limitation to be valid' date=' the character must have some difficulty changing forms - the change must take a Full Phase, if not longer (during which the character can do nothing else), and/or there must be other difficulties or ways to prevent him from changing identities.[/quote']

The limitation notes that the character must have two distinct identities as a prerequisite to taking the limitation. Any character whose powers are usable in either ID identifies himself as a super powered being when he uses them. if your charactre naturally had a 50 STR, tossing a car around the parking lot would ID him as a Super.

You might consider reducing the base stats a little. He's 14, not at full adult growth yet.

At 14 he's an X-Sports climber? Ahhhh, built with his enhanced strength, so it's as Obelisk he's a climber, as a kid he's not, got it, as a kid he's just a climber. Does X-Sport allow super powered climbers to compete like this? Hmmm, there's a lot of climbers out there much better than he, considering the points used. But his rival is not as powerful = not as good a climber? As a kid or as Obelisk?

The everyman skills are all for his normal 14 year old form by the look of it. Paramedics 13- at age 14? Paramedic usually means a lot more than slapping a band aid on a cut. Are you sure about this one?

That was really my only thought. Reduce STR to 8 in civilian ID, then buy 2 additional PTS of STR (with OHID) for the first level of growth/power. It'll simulate him being a 14 year old better. The rest of his stats I don't think you need to change.

The limitation notes that the character must have two distinct identities as a prerequisite to taking the limitation. Any character whose powers are usable in either ID identifies himself as a super powered being when he uses them. if your charactre naturally had a 50 STR' date=' tossing a car around the parking lot would ID him as a Super.[/quote']

Er, yes - and this character DOES have two distinct identities. It's listed under his disadvantages as Soc Lim: Secret ID (Frequently, Major). So it's not a problem. Or was there something else?

Er' date=' yes - and this character DOES have two distinct identities. It's listed under his disadvantages as [b']Soc Lim: Secret ID (Frequently, Major)[/b]. So it's not a problem. Or was there something else?

I think you overlooked the quote above my comment, which is an excerpt from 5er, not a restatement of your post. That quote sets out the requirements over and above having two identities.

Even if your powers were not OIHID, using them outside your heroic costume would jeopardize your secret ID. OIHID has to have restrictions beyond those imposed by the disadvantage.

I've edited the char in my OP. I changed his basic STR to 8, as suggested. His Instant Change now takes a Full Phase to meet the OIHID requirement. I also added an additional Phys. Lim. (cannot swim as Obelisk).

I'm working on replies to the other posts.

Buy 0 End as a naked advantage on your first 5 pts of growth. For the 2 pts' date=' that'll get you a +5 STR, +1 BODY, +1 STUN, and -1" Knockback while doubling your mass that you can use all the time in your transformed mode at 7'5". It may even be worth it to get it on the first 10 pts (+10 STR, +2 BODY, +2 STUN, and -2" KO, mass is x4, for 5 pts) and define your 7'5" height as weighing 520lbs.[/quote']

I started this way, then changed it. By using the Large being template from 5ER, he can be "grown" without paying END (and without paying for the 0 END Advantage). The cost was better.

Having done so' date=' I would take out the Phys Lim that only applies in Hero ID. You could also make that Growth peristent to indicate he remains in "Obelisk form" if stunned or KO'd.[/quote']

That Phys Lim is part of the size template, so I kept it. Since he uses Instant Change (Transform) to become Obelisk, he won't change back until he "heals" which is done by using the Instant Change again.

If he's made of stone in obelisk form, why doesn't his instant change provide him with Density Increase as well?
I just didn't want him to be that heavy. His mass increase as defined by his Phys Lim was plenty.

After rereading OIHID, I've found that 1) the char needs 2 distinct ID's...check. He has both a Secret ID, and body-altering abilities. 2) difficulty changing forms...check. It takes him a Full Phase to change, while doing nothing else. For the prevention aspect he cannot change when he is mentally inhibited by either mechanical or psychic means.

You might consider reducing the base stats a little. He's 14' date=' not at full adult growth yet.[/quote']

I reduced his STR to 8. But he is a mutant after all, so some of his stats are a bit more than the average teen (and he's a comic book char as well).

At 14 he's an X-Sports climber? Ahhhh, built with his enhanced strength, so it's as Obelisk he's a climber, as a kid he's not, got it, as a kid he's just a climber. Does X-Sport allow super powered climbers to compete like this? Hmmm, there's a lot of climbers out there much better than he, considering the points used. But his rival is not as powerful = not as good a climber? As a kid or as Obelisk?
Actually, Jeremy competes as himself, not Obelisk. His Climbing skill is DEX-based, a stat that doesn't change. He had been climbing since about the time he learned to walk (sorry I don't have the background write-up finished yet). He qualified to compete and his parents signed all the releases. He's more than just a climber though, even though he doesn't realize it yet. His Clinging power and Climbing skill are also aspects of his mutant abilities. He has those even as Jeremy. If he and the X-Sports officials knew about this, there might be issues.

The rival isn't as good a climber (as Jeremy, Obelisk doesn't compete) only because Jeremy has his abilities.

The everyman skills are all for his normal 14 year old form by the look of it. Paramedics 13- at age 14? Paramedic usually means a lot more than slapping a band aid on a cut. Are you sure about this one?
Yes, they are for Jeremy. The Paramedics is probably 2 pts too high. I would like an 11-, but with his 18 INT it comes out as 13-. I don't want just a Familiarity 8-, because he does have pretty good First Aid training. He knows how to take care of himself, and others, when he's out practicing. Any ideas?

Yes, they are for Jeremy. The Paramedics is probably 2 pts too high. I would like an 11-, but with his 18 INT it comes out as 13-. I don't want just a Familiarity 8-, because he does have pretty good First Aid training. He knows how to take care of himself, and others, when he's out practicing. Any ideas?

Can you take it as a General skill (base 11- for 2 points) as opposed to an INT-based (9+ INT/5 for 3 points) skill?

I'd personally allow it as a GM, for the reason you give.

Well, at 13 years you're looking at what? Around 1st Class/Star in the Boy Scouts, maybe Life depending on ambition. When I was being trained by a Search & Rescue vet and trying to win first aid competitions at around that age I was pretty darn good at what I was doing. I imagine an extreme sport climber would have at least that level of first aide training. 13- isn't inappropriate..He's a smart kid... minor emergencies will be easy, major wounds possible...the minuses to Paramedics rolls from increased body damage can add up quick. I see a familiarity with Paramedics being the "I took a course in CPR and first aid at the Y" level. Anyone who actually has to use the skills tends to retain them.

Since you ask...

The swimming. While fine for the 14 year old, it doesn't make much sense for the immense Obelisk form. Why not get rid of it for the larger form and use the saved points for something else?

I took care of that in the Disads:

4 Phys Lim: Cannot swim in Obelisk form (Infrequently, Slightly Impairing, OIHID).

Re: OBELISK - A new character to review please.

Besides' date=' the first aid is about the only thing his intelligence is good for. If you want lower First Aid, you should lower his intelligence.[/quote']

He's a very bright, perceptive kid, who's also just 14. His education has been all basics up to this point. Now that he's a freshman in HS, he'll start taking classes that will (hopefully) be in the area he chooses for a career later in life. I'm guessing that in the next 4 years of game time, he'll be spending some of the next 100 Exp pts. (the ones that will bring him up to Standard Super level) for career-type skills that will require his INT.