Reduced Penetration

bigdamnhero

Re: Reduced Penetration

Doing RP the book way doesn't hose the power quite as much as simply doubling the target's defense, due to the variance of the damage rolls. You can think of RP as sort or like the opposite of Armor Piercing, but only for BODY. Insted of getting half the defense, you get double the defense. Since AP is +1/2, RP would be -1/2, but since it's for BODY only, it's -1/4.

I can certainly see why some feel this it too much of a limitation for only -1/4, especially when you just double the defense. So do it the book way (roll two half-attacks separately and appliy the def to each one). This limits the BODY damage less.

Example: 4d6 KA (standard, no limit) vs 10 rDEF

Minimum roll 4, BODY damgage = 0

Below average roll 9, BODY damage = 0

Average roll 14, BODY damage done = 4

Above average roll 19, BODY damage = 9

Maximum roll 24, BODY damage = 14

4d6 KA, RedPen vs 10 rDEF (double DEF method = 20 effective DEF)

Average roll 14, BODY damage done = 0

Above average roll 19, BODY damage = 0

Maximum roll 24, BODY damage = 4

- All of these are regardless of the individual dice

4d6 KA, RedPen (book method, two 2d6 attacks) vs 10 rDEF

Minimum roll 4, BODY damgage = 0 (regardless of dice)

Below average roll 9, BODY damage = 0 (regardless of dice)

Average roll 14 (7+7 thru 10+4), BODY damage done = 0

Average roll 14 (11+3), BODY damage done = 1

Average roll 14 (12+2), BODY damage done = 2

Above average roll 19 (10+9), BODY damage = 0

Above average roll 19 (11+8), BODY damage = 1

Above average roll 19 (12+7), BODY damage = 2

vs 10 rDEF, each "half-attack" has a separate 1-in-12 chance of doing BODY damage (total = 23 in 144, almost 1 in 6). If you simply double the rDEF, the entire attack has only a 35 in 1296 (about 1 in 37) chance of doing BODY damage.

Guest TheUnknown

Doing RP the book way doesn't hose the power quite as much as simply doubling the target's defense, due to the variance of the damage rolls. You can think of RP as sort or like the opposite of Armor Piercing, but only for BODY. Insted of getting half the defense, you get double the defense. Since AP is +1/2, RP would be -1/2, but since it's for BODY only, it's -1/4.

I can certainly see why some feel this it too much of a limitation for only -1/4, especially when you just double the defense. So do it the book way (roll two half-attacks separately and appliy the def to each one). This limits the BODY damage less.

Example: 4d6 KA (standard, no limit) vs 10 rDEF

Average roll 14, BODY damage done = 4

Above average roll 19, BODY damage = 9

Maximum roll 24, BODY damage = 14

4d6 KA, RedPen vs 10 rDEF (double DEF method = 20 effective DEF)

Average roll 14, BODY damage done = 0

Above average roll 19, BODY damage = 0

- All of these are regardless of the individual dice

4d6 KA, RedPen (book method, two 2d6 attacks) vs 10 rDEF

Minimum roll 4, BODY damgage = 0 (regardless of dice)

Below average roll 9, BODY damage = 0 (regardless of dice)

Average roll 14 (7+7 thru 10+4), BODY damage done = 0

Average roll 14 (11+3), BODY damage done = 1

Average roll 14 (12+2), BODY damage done = 2

Above average roll 19 (10+9), BODY damage = 0

Above average roll 19 (11+8), BODY damage = 1

Above average roll 19 (12+7), BODY damage = 2

vs 10 rDEF, each "half-attack" has a separate 1-in-12 chance of doing BODY damage (total = 23 in 144, almost 1 in 6). If you simply double the rDEF, the entire attack has only a 35 in 1296 (about 1 in 37) chance of doing BODY damage.

your ponit?! In superhero genre its meant to produce more super effects in my opinion all normal weapons should have this because a normal knife or sword even a tiger could never do Powerman or the Thing body less lone damage but as it is 4d6 would have the possibility without reduced pen besides in a superhero genre stun puts you out before body and 4d6 even with reduced oen could eventual put bricks out that really shouldnt be affects by the level of the damage in question!

The rule just doesn't make sense to me - certainly not for buck shot, or heaven forfend, solid slug ammunition. These things don't strike me as "reduced penetration," despite the book saying so. A RedPen shotgun certainly doesn't simulate the shotgun of videogames, and that's my gold standard. I wanna blow some LIMBS off.

If you're going to go with this, then certainly, "double" the armor for purposes of resisting BODY damage and you'll have the exact same effect, near as I can tell.

If I do 8 BODY, and you have 4 ARMOR, I would deal no BODY. I either divide the 8/2 = 4 and apply it twice, or double 4 to 8 and foom, same result.

The rule just doesn't make sense to me - certainly not for buck shot' date=' or heaven forfend, solid slug ammunition. These things don't strike me as "reduced penetration," despite the book saying so. A RedPen shotgun certainly doesn't simulate the shotgun of videogames, and that's my gold standard. I wanna blow some LIMBS off.[/quote']

Arguably, video game shotguns aren't using dove shot, but slugs instead.