freeze spell

steph

Just want your opinions guys: i want to create a freeze water spell : it is better to use transform or change environnement

transform water to ice or change-environnement temperature level -

hope i am clear english not my first language

steph

Re: freeze spell

I recommend Change Environment. I recently had to make a spell like this, and the book provides such an example. Here is my slight alteration of it.

Cold Snap

With this spell, the caster can freeze any group of target liquids within range of his spell. Effective for getting the attention of everyone in a tavern, or turning a watery blockade into an escape route.

Change Environment: freeze liquids (32"); Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), OAF: Wizard's Staff (-1), Requires Magic Skill Roll (-1/2), Side Effect: 3d6 Entangle (-1/2).

Active Cost: 30

Real Cost: 8

END: 3

Magic Skill Roll Penalty: -3

Just want your opinions guys: i want to create a freeze water spell : it is better to use transform or change environnement

transform water to ice or change-environnement temperature level

The latter seems more SFX-based than mechanics-based. Perhaps an Entangle with some custom Limitation to reflect that it gradually fades away in warmer temperatures, combined with the CE to keep it cold?

I would call "water to ice" a 5-point Transform, but considering how long past discussions have been on "the Body of water", you're probably better off not even going there :nonp:

If he wanted an instantaneous effect, I'd go with Transform.. If he didn't mind if it took ten or fifteen minutes or so, I'd go with Change Environment.. Mind you , Change environment is a much nastier power at fantasy levels - temperatures of negative ten or fifteen degrees can cause SERIOUS trouble if people arent dressed for that sort of weather.. Crops dying, Frostbite, hypothermia, skin freezing to weapons and armor (especially the Frank Frazetta Chainmail Bikini Barbarianna's!)

-CraterMaker (originally from Alaska! Go Cold!)

"Freeze Water" is SFX: what real effect does the spell have, in game terms?

If it actually takes bodies of water and freezes them, then it's a Transform, and won't be usable to significantly chill a room or make a slippery ice sheet. Making catapult ammo from a nearby waterfall, however...

If it covers stuff with a layer of ice, making them slippery and shiny, then it's probably a Change Environment, maybe with effects like Drain Running and Entangle.

If you can freeze the water inside people's bodies (inside cells, in the bloodstream, etc.), then you've got some kind of Energy Blast, RKA, maybe with Penetrating or NND or some such.

Mix and match as you like, or even build it as a mini-Multipower or :eek: Elemental Control.

If he wanted an instantaneous effect, I'd go with Transform.. If he didn't mind if it took ten or fifteen minutes or so, I'd go with Change Environment.. Mind you , Change environment is a much nastier power at fantasy levels - temperatures of negative ten or fifteen degrees can cause SERIOUS trouble if people arent dressed for that sort of weather.. Crops dying, Frostbite, hypothermia, skin freezing to weapons and armor (especially the Frank Frazetta Chainmail Bikini Barbarianna's!)

-CraterMaker (originally from Alaska! Go Cold!)

C'mon! Everyone knows that chainmail bikinis are just as effective at warding off cold as they are warding off swords. No problem!

ty monster ..what i want is just a freeze the water in one hex (like freeze a glass of water the water in a little aquarium etc...utility spell) but you give me a great idea with your freeze water in the body

stef

Nipple-Rings of Arcane Armor: Armor (2 PD/2 ED), No Mass (+0) (6 Active Points); Short Vest (Protects Locations 12-13; -2), Side Effects (+3d6 STUN Damage When Nipple Rings are grabed | or +3d6 Normal Damage if they are torn off, and they may not be put back on until all body damage is healed; -1), Real Armor (-1/4), IIF (Nipple-Rings; -1/4)

Hmm, good point

Nipple-Rings of Arcane Armor: Armor (2 PD/2 ED), Mass (+0) (6 Active Points); Short Vest (Protects Locations 12-13; -2), Side Effects (+3d6 STUN Damage When Nipple Rings are grabed | or +3d6 Normal Damage if they are torn off, and they may not be put back on until all body damage is healed; -1), IAF (Nipple-Rings; -1/2), Real Armor (-1/4)

What do the nipple rings have to do with Freeze Water?

Anyway, Steph, I would build this version as a Minor Transform, water to frozen water (you're simply changing the state of a thing to a different version of itself). Then just do X BODY to X Cubic Feet of ice; I'm too lazy to check if there's already a rule for it or not.

Then just do X BODY to X Cubic Feet of ice; I'm too lazy to check if there's already a rule for it or not.

A "cubic hex" is (IIRC) 6.928 cubic meters. That much water would mass 6.928 megagrams, which is a BODY of 16. Doubling/halving the volume (and hence mass) adds/subtracts one to/from the BODY.

The nipple rings had nothing to do with Freezing water. Infact, wearing them in freezing water is not recommended... At All, Ever.

However, if you must wear your Nipple Rings in Freezing water, it better be These Nipple Rings:

Nipple Rings of Arcane, Cold Resistant Armor: (Total: 21 Active Cost, 5 Real Cost) Armor (2 PD/2 ED), Mass (+0) (6 Active Points); Short Vest (Protects Locations 12-13; -2), Side Effects (+3d6 STUN Damage When Nipple Rings are grabed | or +3d6 Normal Damage if they are torn off, and they may not be put back on until all body damage is healed; -1), IAF (Nipple-Rings; -1/2), Real Armor (-1/4) (Real Cost: 1) plus +15 ED (15 Active Points); Side Effects (+3d6 STUN Damage When Nipple Rings are grabed | or +3d6 Normal Damage if they are torn off, and they may not be put back on until all body damage is healed; -1), Only vs. Cold (-1), IAF (Nipple-Rings; -1/2), Real Armor (-1/4), Linked (Armor; -1/4) (Real Cost: 4)

But if you really must make Ice, this is Blackmage's (ok not really) Solution:

Polar Ray: (Total: 75 Active Cost, 34 Real Cost) Energy Blast 4d6, Area Of Effect (8" Line; +1) (40 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Spell (-1/2) (Real Cost: 20) plus Change Environment: Coveres Everything In Ice 4" radius (8" Line; +0), -3 Temperature Level Adjustment, -3 to DEX Roll and DEX Based Skill Rolls, Multiple Combat Effects (35 Active Points); Spell (-1/2), Linked (Energy Blast; -1/2), Instant (-1/2) (Real Cost: 14)

Hrm. Or, you could do it as an EB, with a Side Effect, turns Water to Ice, although it wouldn't be worth many penalties, it also doesn't deal a lot of "damage" -- so long as the effect didn't entangle/entrap anyone, its just SFX.

Of course, that really is the big question. WHY am I turning water to ice? To make frosty lemonade, or to make someone's blood run cold?

Like thats a question, Didn't you know that acording to the Black-Mages code if something doesn't die, explode, or get violated by otherworldly tenticals - its just not magic.

I don't know, I like the Transform option, it looks pretty good, but if you wanted both you would define the spell as a multipower (assuming the game your in doesn't define spells in a framework to start with) With one slot being a Transform for inanimate/freestanding water, and the other a basic EB of equal AP.