So just what powers is Affects Real World needed on?

Paragon

In my campaigns; The Force Field would require ARW, but the Mind Link would not.

I understand ML to be "Communication Only" and only works on "Willing Targets". (Of course ECV attacks can be pipe through after connection is made.) But the target can disconnect at any time.

Is ML requiring an Attack Roll a 5th Ed Rule?

Another option would be some sort of Extra-Dimensional Travel to "inside the target"; that gets rid of weird circumstances where someone tries to un-Cling the character (say, by using a Double Knockback attack against them while Desolid, so the host isn't affected).

As for the Mind Link, I would probably rule that establishing a Mind Link requires ARW, but using a pre-existing Mind Link does not. That might not be entirely consistent, but it makes sense to me.

Originally posted by Geoff Speare

Another option would be some sort of Extra-Dimensional Travel to "inside the target"; that gets rid of weird circumstances where someone tries to un-Cling the character (say, by using a Double Knockback attack against them while Desolid, so the host isn't affected).

If someone has a Double Knockback Affects Desolid attack then they should be allowed to kick out a Desolid passenger from a host. That attack combination has to be pretty rare. :)

I personally do not like the EDM option. It makes it too difficult to get rid of the character. If an evil spirit inhabits your character's body you want a reasonable way of getting it out; I know I would anyway. If you did decide to go with EDM though you will need to add the Transdimensional Advantage to the spirit's powers to make them work between the two dimensions (ala Shrinker).

Originally posted by Geoff Speare

As for the Mind Link, I would probably rule that establishing a Mind Link requires ARW, but using a pre-existing Mind Link does not. That might not be entirely consistent, but it makes sense to me.

That works too. However, while it eliminates some wierdness, it adds some weirdness of its own, at least conceptually.

I always get real wary about "Kewl tricks with EDM" powers that use EDM as a way to basically move to a reality where things are the way the character wants them to be, including a custom "living body" dimension defined in such a way as to allow a character to pull off a gimick that would otherwise cost more points to do via conventional means.

Im not a fan of the More Expensive = Correct meta rule, but using EDM in this fashion just becomes a Bend Reality power if taken to its logical extreme.

Could this character be built as an AI instead of as a full character? It's not the same as Desolid, but doesn't/can't have all the stats like STR, BODY, etc. That way you don't have to buy ARW for powers, though you would have to buy END Reserve or zero END for everything.

KA would have no effect, but mental powers, Drains, et al. would work just fine without special modifiers. You'd have to buy senses, sound Images to talk, etc.

Actually, this is pretty much the same idea as the much-maligned Spirit rules from the old sourcebook, but I think it's a valid application.

I'm just talking off the top of my snot-filled head (sneeze, wheeze) so there's probably big problems with this. Standing by for slings and arrows...