[Campaign] The Last Dominion

Eosin

Re: [Campaign] The Last Dominion

I'm once more sideswiped by the changes you made to The Savage Tide. I like some of them and see where you might be able to salvage something more.

You obviously still have this Vanthus character to find.

It was an enjoyable read and I appreciate your work.

thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

After missing a session we got back on track tonight. It was a rousing game with several sharp turns and "events" to discuss. The adventure, part 2 of Savage Tide, took about an hour - the rest of the night was locked over into planning, plotting, and coming to grips with the changing world. Several morsels from other adventure threads wandered on to various plates.

Play is going to be sporadic for the next few months as we handle a number of real life issues but it will continue.

Tonight's game was great. I even enjoyed being gutted. :D

It's nice NOT being the one getting sliced for a change!

I actually got to torch a critter that I will let Eosin describe; let's just say that it was very absorbing!:eek:

However, All is not well. Please forgive me as I enter a period of mourning.

Other than my great loss, last nights session was very interesting, LOTS of strange events took place.:hush:

Day 15

In the aftermath of the battle below the taxidermy shop the group thankfully had a few stolen moments to plan their next moves. Arron, still limping, dashed through the rain towards the noble's district to fetch Liddia Vanderboren and her house guards. A good deal of the liquid assets stashed down here were obviously taken from the Vanderboren vault which gave her an excuse to send in the troops.

Meanwhile, Kaid’s wound was cleaned after the frightening amount of blood oozing from his chest finally stopped.

By morning, Albrecht the merchant [DM Note: the merchant friend of Jon] and Liddia Vanderboren had everything worth mentioning carted away. Of particular note were a few dozen books and several hundred letters and penned erotica.

For thieves in an illiterate world, the Shadowkings appear well-read.

Assets Obtained:

Letters of Erotica ….. 2,000 bp

Letters, Notes, Nautical charts…. 16,000 bp

Annex Set with exotic pieces…..11,000 bp

Various Books on Nobility & Middean History…. 15,000 bp

Milky White Liquid in glass vials…… Alchemy -4

The Baron of Tharad’s Seal…… Value unknown

Matching Footman’s Blades with Ivory cross piece….. Expensive.. Smith or Trading

Misc Equipment…..16,000 bp

Uncut Garnets ….. 4,000 bp

Finished Bloodstones….. 3,000 bp

Red Pearls…… 16,000 bp

Jewelry in fancy containers…. 60,000 bp

Coins …… 34,000 bp

Finery (cloth, liquor, spices)…… 210,000 bp

Ring: Second Sight

+10 PER only to overcome visual penalties

+20 EGO only to avoid illusions/mirage

+15 Power DEF only against changes to Vision

Out in the flood-like rain the sun was just rising as Kaid was carried away. First, Father Etine Enderson was found. The good Mendicant priest brought the injured mage to a well respected healed named Arca Voth. The older man examined Kaid with a careful eye and firm fingers. The wound was corrupt and that blasphemous humor would likely cause the wound to fester unless it was dealt with by the most powerful magic’s. Kaid, fearful of the prices he knew the Order of Apathos would demand, asked of the cost.

Ignoring the question, the healer asked how Kaid had come by such a terrible wound? Kaid vacillated, hedging the story with generalities at which point Arca stated that the healing would cost “allot.” Kaid took the hint and delved into specifics even revealing his arcane heritage.

The healer asked his attendants to clean the wound while he walked with the priest.

A short time later Brother Voth returned to the bedside and explained the treatment. The magic required to heal the wound would weaken both the healer and the patient for days. Lesser healers were incapable of such magic but that it would be done gratis if the mage would consent to look into an “issue” for the healer. Arca Voth was honest and admitted that the deed he had in mind would likely involve a great deal of danger. Kaid gave his consent - binding himself and the group to whatever endeavor was bothering the powerful healer.

The healing magic was successful and taxing. Most of the morning was a vague blur of broth and poppy. Kaid does remember seeing the two attendants franticly working on some new patient while their master was incapacitated. In the drugged haze, he saw the face of the young woman Shaelyn whom Frye had struggled to protect. Her blue, lifeless form rested on a table near his own. The terrible wound in her abdomen where an unborn child had been hacked from her still living body was washed clean by the rains.

Day 16

After resting for most of the previous day, Torean braved the torrential rains to discover news on the street. There was an edge to the world today that seemed uncomfortable and taunt. The news was equally alarming — the Golden Dragon of Vintria was summoning his legions. [DM Note: for 40 years the legendary legions of Vintria have lain fallow while the shell of the Imperator clings to life and the throne. Leto Mooreland is more than 100 years old and obsessed with discovering the secrets to eternal life. The fixation has left the empire impotent.] Discussions over lunch reassured the party that while this was alarming, more news would be required before they could assess if such an event heralded bad news for Middea.

Day 17

Fearing the unknown machinations of the Shadowking, the party retired to their respective residences to comb through the various notes and letters that had been captured during the raid. This will take several days of reading.

Near nightfall, a letter was delivered to the still recovering Kaid. It was from his father, the Duke of Wingate. The duke sent 10 exceptional warhorses, all trained and ready for battle. The sale of such fine animals — a king's ransom — would fund any operations required by the group.

LETTER EXERPT

I sorely miss having you and your companions at my side. Your talents and that of your friend Frye would be reassuring to me just now. Yet I know that what you do in Tharad is more important than any other considerations, if I am to believe your reports of the growing darkness. Keep safe son. Let your brother bask in the glory of this ugly war with the understanding that your task is one that only you and your companions can complete. I am proud of you son.

I think we will soon be engaged with the forces of Rafn. The king's armies gather on our borders and they are preparing for war rather than show. The numbers are too vast to mean anything other than an all out assault. In truth, the battle will be tough. Both sides will throw away the lives of too many good men. Middeans, every single one of them. It is madness but I can find no way out of its clutches. Your brother and nephew relish the chance to snub Rafn. We will see how they feel in two months when the stink of ruptured entrails is more familiar than the lavender dabbed on the neck of a woman.

Day 18

Arraignments are made with the merchant Albrecht to sell the various goods obtained from the Shadowking sanctuary. The group will get 50% of the face value for such items but the sale will take around a month.

Likewise, a wounded Kaid speaks with Liddia Vanderboren regarding the sale of the warhorses, which can be accomplished in a week.

Day 19 — Day 22

Normal activities. Most wounds are healed at this point. Kaid still has an angry red scar across his chest.

Jon leaves the city for a few days to attend his sister and her husband. He elects to return to his new companions and lend his sword to thier stand against this dark mood in the city.

More reading of the letters penned by Vanthus and a woman named Rowyn.

Day 23

The following excerpts are from the letters penned by Vanthus.

First Letter

You were right. My parents have grown soft. I have little doubt that they suspect anything. I have used some of the assets we acquired to pay off the local guards and the harbor watch. I also made sure that the Harbor Masters little pet would be out of the way for a few days. No doubt the tub o’ lard will be paralyzed without his little kitten. The ships crew will say nothing about the cargo I stored on board. I told them it was a surprise for my fathers first trip in the new boat. Hell, I even helped them load it and opened one of the casks of liquor to share with the crewmen. Of course, I led them to believe the other barrels held similar substance rather than whale oil. I’ll be following the vessel to make sure that things go as planned. Keep your bed warm for me.

Second

I would say that I am surprised that your patron could secure the ring on such short notice but he has proven to have exceptional resources. I felt sure that father had the ring at the mansion. Never the less, we have secured the coins and gems from the family vault. I’d have preferred to claim the family titles but with the escape of Jamis I think it is risky to present myself. He and the Balacazars will be screaming for my blood.

Third Letter

Rowyn, my nasty little tart, you have outdone yourself. I will confess that it makes me nervous to work with wizards even when you say that they would not dare defy the king-in-the-shadows. Still, the magic has its perks. The leader, Nygon, seems outlandishly full of himself and sure of his power. Such men make for bad allies for they are sure plotting their ascension to master. I urge you to be wary of him. The danger excites me fiercely. Poor Moiraine suffered for it when I bedded her.

Fourth Letter

I fear that we are moving too quickly, my love. The creatures at the Mudflats have been useful but I loathe using them so. I wish you could have seen the faces on Liddia’s hired swords. She’ll never amount to much hiring fools like those deadmen. I hope they provided fitting sport for your pets.

In any case, Brissa is in the next room getting ready for a night on the town. I believe she may actually have some worth to us. She has been hinting about Numerian Privateers using the cove to cover their operations. These are the same thugs who bring the pearl to Tharad. I have convinced her of my sympathies to her cause and my desire to join with them. The little tart must have never been properly bedded to be so gullible. I’ll take her with me next week on the pretext of meeting the men, Once their guard is down, we will burn their ships. I’ll be a simple task to pluck the treasures from the water when the fools have all stopped their screaming.

I must admit that I have grown rather fond of watching boats burn. The hapless fools deciding between death from fire or water is the best entertainment. I only wish I had thought of it years ago.

DM Note... More to come tonight. Now, off to hunt Easter Eggs with my boys.

Day 24

Arron attends to Liddia Vanderboren during the day. By evening his companions have confirmed that Vanthus is condemned by his own hand. Liddia is told of the plot to kill her parents. She asks that Arron find her brother and deliver justice for her parents. It is not something that sits well with the young woman. The party may use her boat — the Blue Spray — to track Vanthus down to Dymon Cove in the Ravenswood.

Toreans house is woken by the screams of his wife Isolde. Wild eyed and half asleep she keeps screaming about the demons. When she is calmed and fully awake she still sobs. Torean at a loss waits for her to compose herself. All she will say before he must leave for the boat is, “Duke Wingate is dead.”

Day 25

The Blue Spray leaves with the morning tide sailing deftly between the damaged moorings littering the port. The rains and high seas of the last week have wrecked havoc on the unstable port.

Torean paces for some time before he is finally able to speak with Kaid. The young mage takes the news hard. Everyone is aware that the dreams of Isolde are often prophetic. Demands that the ship return to port are met with soothing voices and calm demeanor. “There is nothing that can be done now Kaid. She said he was dead. If there was a way to prevent it we would try but the deed is done.” The taste of bile and the smell of Rafn weighs on all.

Evening

The trip to Dymon Cove takes most of the day. The treacherous navigation prompts the party to beach a mile or so from the smugglers base and take an overland route lest they wind up as fish food. The hike is a short one but as full night sets in the glow from the canyon becomes increasingly obvious. The party fears that Vanthus’s penchant for fire has struck again.

Kaid uses his fire sight to survey the scene before they attempt to enter the carnage. The vision of the bloody carnage on the beach is overwhelming but even more worrisome is the pallid miasma of foulness coating the entire area. Something terrible — something beyond simple carnage — has occurred here recently.

Rickety wooden scaffolding leads down the cliff wall to a sandy beach 40 feet below. There is some warning that the wooden frame will not hold the weight of the men but Kaid forgets himself in his grief causing the entire structure to collapse. Arron catches the mage saving him from certain death in the flaming waters below. [DM Note: the water is engulfed in flames from the whale oil and the three burning ships in the small cove.]

Jon leaps safely to the beach while Torean managed to grab hold of the wall as the stairs collapsed.

The safety of the beach is soon dispelled as three horrid dog-like aberrations charge pell-mell towards the lone knight on the beach. The creatures are more foul than anything witnessed so far by the hardened adventures — Boney protrusions extend around an insanely wide mouth filled with razor sharp teeth. From the mouth pours an ever increasing stream of writhing maggots, roaches, and worse. Where eyes might be placed on a normal dog stand portals into the very realms of madness itself. The dog are not death incarnate — that would be too easy.

Feeling his grasp on reality fast faltering Jon spoke a silent prayer to Ro and puts his back to the wall. The dogs savaged him, seeking every gap left by his shield. They tore at his belly seeking to feast on his entrails. His sword arm soon dangled useless at his side and darkness threatened to overcome him.

Torean had leapt from the rocky perch to land in the gentle waves on the sandy shore. He tapped his knowledge of any weakness such creatures might possess but came up with none. Daggers flew true but the nightmare spawned dogs still stood. In desperation he splashed the salty water of the sea towards the dogs and was rewarded with a sizzling hiss. The enraged dog charged the bard. Alas, Torean danced on the waves rolling back just as the dog struck. The cesspool stench rising form the water claimed the hound before it could harm him.

Arcane fire proved little on the remaining dogs. Torean filled his helmet and rushed the creatures besetting his fried as Arron leaped from the heights with his enchanted dagger in hand. The fall would be jarring but his hopes remained high that the dagger would prove sufficient to dispatch the creature. He was right.

The two sent the creatures back to whatever corner of hell they had come from.

The gore splattered beach offered the men little besides bones stripped of flesh but within the cove they could hear the chunking thud of something ominous. Quick but careful investigation led them to a doorway where some congealed fleshstitched mass of dozens of creatures attacked a huge wooden table to the taunts of a female voice beyond it.

The creature was enormous. It was as if some giant had deboned and mashed together the crew of all the ships in the harbor. Faces writhed beneath the fleshy surface in silent screams while arms and occasionally eyes bubbled to the surface.

Physical attacks did little to the creature but the inferno unleashed by a frustrated Kaid was its undoing.

That left a battered party facing an equally battered Numerian Privateer — their nominal enemy. After calling her out to talk she responded with “If you are with the vomiting pig Vanthus the only talk you’ll hear is from my blades.”

Truer friends were never more easily made. However, Captain Harliss had sent her first mate south to Tharad when all this business had gone bad to make Vanthus pay… they would burn the Vanderboren estates and kill everything inside. There was some quick discussion and much bargaining before Harliss agreed to accompany the party back to Tharad to call off her men.

The crew of the Blue Spray, Captain Harliss, and the party managed to take her ship out of the cove and sail both back to Tharad.

Torean and Harliss made fast friends but something more passed between her and Jon. Although he was wounded and a bit feverish during the trip home his wit and womanly ways were in top form.

Day 27

The ships make port in the early hours of the morning. The first order of business is to get Jon to a healer — Arca Voth. [DM note: Jon is kept for several days while he heals.]

Rather than delay, notes are dispatched to the Wingate family from the healers quarters while their friend is cared after. It has been an arduous journey and fear of what has happened sits heavily on Kaid.

Kaid makes the long walk to the nobles district by himself that night. The normally spiteful Olivier is fretful when he greets Kaid at the door. “Sir, there is a messenger from Duke Wingate to see you. He has made it perfectly clear that he intends to wait right here until you return.”

The young messenger has ridden hard. There is steel in his eyes and a solid determination that he will perform the duty charged to him. That duty is a sealed letter.

Kaid knows what the letter contains before he opens it.

So convoluted... I want to play!

*sigh*

Me too.

Thanks guys. It's nice to hear that others dig the campaign.

Yes, it is convoluted and ugly kinda brutal at points but I think the players really enjoy the game. The characters have huge investments in the setting and that makes it so easy to run --- they marry, they have families, they hate, and they believe in something larger than the party.... how hard is it to run a game with so many hooks that your problems become which ones do I use tonight?

PS - I am working the character Jon into the game just now so he has been spared until I get enough hooks into him to do some real digging.

PPS - I suspect that Frye, who was absent tonight, will be hunting for some cultists in the weeks to come.

Yes' date=' it is convoluted and ugly kinda brutal at points but I think the players really enjoy the game. [/quote']

We may not always state it, But YES, we do thouroughly enjoy the campaign!:D(at least I know that I do!)

Eosin constantly keeps us on our toes, wondering what else could possibly go wrong now....:eek:

:thumbup:

• 1 year later...

There isn't much to repost just yet.

We had some late cancellations on the game which left us with four people and unable to finish the final scenario of a cyberpunk campaign. We sat around for awhile talking about what we could play but then we started talking about the fantasy game. One of the players used to play with us in the old D&D/RM campaign but had left state for several years. He wanted to know how I did magic in The Last Dominion. We talked about magic and the world [to which he replied - "wow, you are still one sadistic GM. I wanna play."].

I can always throw together a session of fantasy for 3 players. So we whipped you a new PC and got to the adventure. I think the shock of it all was too much for the grognards at the table and they weren't able to transition back to in character. We spent about 4 hours re-setting the situation but not really going anywhere with the plot. So there isn't much to report.

Kaid & Torean spent an hour or two discussing how to kill Oliver - Kaid's snotty butler.

The very first scene of the new game was Kaid falling asleep with the letter telling him of his fathers death. Oliver coming in, looking at Kaid disappointedly and saying, "Are you going to remain in bed all day?" followed by "Shall I fetch you proper attire or your usual?"

That prompted the whole "Oliver has to die" conversation.

We have one player Freya who is dropping so that means we now have...

Torean the knife throwing bard

Arron the martial artist killing machine

Kaid the fire wizard nobility

We have the returning player and two new Hero Gamers who are deciding what to play.

I PDF'd Bel Samedi for Edsel's pleasure... I know he loves knowing what some of the monstrously powerful bad guys look like [actually, I think it depresses him but I like to tease him with them].

Here is 3,000 points of fantasy ugliness.

Bel Samedi

Do take note that he remains "Spirit-Bound" to his tomb and unable to get out in the mortal world. He has adapted over the centuries and has some contact with his followers. Some of the more overt powers, such as the massive scale command of the undead, arose when the Night of Fire destroyed a portion of his prison. The Bonelord wants out...... He hates being this pale shadow of his former power.

Also note that his history says he voluntarily relinquished his physical form but other hints indicate that he might have been imprisoned... The truth is unknown as is the true extent of his power and reach. This is but a painting of the real thing, correct in the general shape and form but capturing nothing of the essence of the enduring being that is Bel Samedi.

I PDF'd Bel Samedi for Edsel's pleasure... I know he loves knowing what some of the monstrously powerful bad guys look like [actually' date= I think it depresses him but I like to tease him with them].

Here is 3,000 points of fantasy ugliness.

Bel Samedi

Do take note that he remains "Spirit-Bound" to his tomb and unable to get out in the mortal world. He has adapted over the centuries and has some contact with his followers. Some of the more overt powers, such as the massive scale command of the undead, arose when the Night of Fire destroyed a portion of his prison. The Bonelord wants out...... He hates being this pale shadow of his former power.

Also note that his history says he voluntarily relinquished his physical form but other hints indicate that he might have been imprisoned... The truth is unknown as is the true extent of his power and reach. This is but a painting of the real thing, correct in the general shape and form but capturing nothing of the essence of the enduring being that is Bel Samedi.

To late tonight for me to look at it much but I am sure it is horribly devious.

I think it is a good thing that we decided killing Oliver wasn't worth the potential entanglements it could cause.

• 2 weeks later...

One Month Reorganization: Wherein the DM makes notes for this weeks game. This is just an extraction of things still running in the game. I also included allies and enemies just to remind the players of various contacts they have acquired.

It has been a busy month in Tharad. Lots of intrigue and plot twists and probably not enough time actually elapsing. Still, this will try to identify the lose ends of the campaign. Blue notes are events or people in Tharad.

Allies:

Lady Brennica, Countess of Highvale

Lady Draysen, Regent-Countess for her Son

Count Draysen, now of legal age

Ivanic the Vindell Smith

Elyion the Wizard of Gorgoros

Elder Hammon - a powerful leader of the Mendicant church, resides in Enverness

Duke of Enverness

Talwyn - Female Justicar of Brynn

Lidda Vanderboren

Ragan Varri - Owner of the Foundry in Tharad

Father Etain Enderson - Mendicant Priest who likes mages.

Battlelord Marrken

Capt-Commander Terrin

Albrecht the merchant

Arca Voth - Order of Apathos. Healed Gratis if PC would look into some "issues."

Captain Harliss - Numerian Smuggler

Enemies:

Count Riddick

Count Bailstone

The Black Troll of the Ravenswood

Imbrian Cultists - attacked and killed members of the black abbey looking for a scroll.

Acolyte Haldune of Tharad

Archon Nygon Toth - caster of "Bridging The Worlds"

Archon Benkovik - synod mage from Tharad.

The Shadowmage - Envoy of Prince Rafn

Father Asa Baranos - powerful and gifted Redeemer

Duke Danil Envernes

Vanthus Vanderboren

The Shadowkings

The Black Whisper in the Well - beat up Kaid

Rowyn - A leader among the Shadowkings

Unknown/Unresolved

Hiblus the Black, an evil wizard who suffered at the hands of Rafn.

Yasha the Hag-Nymph

Kamiste Caylor or the White Queen - responsible for the increased raids from the Trollstones.

Vorjarin - powerful Vindel chieftain and half immortal being.

Mother Kiva - old bitty woman who seems to know allot.

Situations:

Night of Fire

Destruction of the Black Abbey

Prophecy of the Twelve

Skull of Tzavos

Lagos and the Massacre of Redhel

Armies are mobilized (Middea, Wingate, Lorain)

Death of the seamstress Shaylin

Tharad Unresolved:

Rebuilding Parts of the City

Navanna Vlaadam

Godfried Vlaadam

Borgrim's Mercenaries

Vanthus Vanderboren

Pale Dogs Street Gang

Lineach Cran - underboss for the Belacazaar family

Toridin Cran - Lineach's brother. Hired the hit on Shaylin

The Shadowkings - street gang into very nasty business.

The Legions of Vintria are on the march

Tharad, but not Sasserine using a map of Ptolus.

Oh, the tangled webs we weave.

Actually, it would best be described as the gutted remnants of Ptolus using the big map - I am scrapping more than using parts of Ptolus. The design concept for Tharad (25%) remains despite being overshadowed by Ptolus material (remember the city was established long before I got my mits on the map). The city is populated by a dozen or more simultaneous adventure threads some original, some Dungeon, and some Malhavok. All of which are re-worked to fit into the concepts of The Last Dominion.

The Sasserine plot is but a small thread and alas I have concluded what I can use of those specific modules. From here out me and Vanthus get cozy.

More adventure threads = better webs. :cool: