This is really frustrating me!

Yamo

This sounds really simple...but what about the cost? Are you sure it should be the same? There aren't many "bigger" or "smaller" HTH attacks - it depends on the size of the attacker and the equipment he uses.

It doesn't make sense for any projectile, arrow, thrown object or else...if I was the GM I'd lower the cost a little.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Hitchhiker

This sounds really simple...but what about the cost? Are you sure it should be the same? There aren't many "bigger" or "smaller" HTH attacks - it depends on the size of the attacker and the equipment he uses.

It doesn't make sense for any projectile, arrow, thrown object or else...if I was the GM I'd lower the cost a little.

I'm a little confused on this post. Could you clarify?

Projectiles have different sizes and forms. Bullets and arrows are an example. Therefore, if you want to deflect only arrows and thrown objects, the cost is 10 Pts. If you want to deflect bullets, the cost increases to 15 Pts, because they are faster. You know the story.

Now, HTH attacks aren't that different. Sure, you might attack with a sword or a bare fist, but the deflection doesn't change much. A hit with a sword is not THAT much faster than a punch with a fist. That's why I would lower the cost for a custom HTH deflection power - most attacks have the same speed.

It should always be kept in mind what the usefulness of a power is as well as its relative ease of use. Having said that I would do it something like this:

5 points: normal bludgeoning attacks

10 points:bludgeoning hand killing attacks

15 points: all bludgeoning and edged attacks

20 points: all other attacks such as spiky attacks, offensive damage shields, etc.

(forgive me for the language but I didn't want to have to sort through a thesaurus to figure this one out)

+20 points to reflect back at attacker

+10 more points to reflect at any target

Originally posted by Agent X

It should always be kept in mind what the usefulness of a power is as well as its relative ease of use. Having said that I would do it something like this:

5 points: normal bludgeoning attacks

10 points:bludgeoning hand killing attacks

15 points: all bludgeoning and edged attacks

20 points: all other attacks such as spiky attacks, offensive damage shields, etc.

(forgive me for the language but I didn't want to have to sort through a thesaurus to figure this one out)

+20 points to reflect back at attacker

+10 more points to reflect at any target

I really don't think that the first 20 points of this power are necessary. After all, any player already has 'Melee Deflection' at its highest level, and it's absolutely free. It's called the Block Maneuver.

Now for the Reflection aspect, I could see why it might be expensive to build from scratch using the system rules. I would allow a player to use Missle Reflection as a basis for Melee Reflection for a flat fee of 40 points, with the appropriate adder/advantage for reflect at any target. I'd caveat the "any target" with "any adjacent target", since the attack being reflected is already No Range by its very definition.

But that's just me,

Steve

Originally posted by Xandarr

I really don't think that the first 20 points of this power are necessary. After all, any player already has 'Melee Deflection' at its highest level, and it's absolutely free. It's called the Block Maneuver.

Now for the Reflection aspect, I could see why it might be expensive to build from scratch using the system rules. I would allow a player to use Missle Reflection as a basis for Melee Reflection for a flat fee of 40 points, with the appropriate adder/advantage for reflect at any target. I'd caveat the "any target" with "any adjacent target", since the attack being reflected is already No Range by its very definition.

But that's just me,

Steve

The first 20 points are necessary because of the reflection power. It defines what can be reflected. If you are not reflecting the power, why buy this power instead of just a block? If you buy reflection then you may want to define what you can reflect and it may not be every melee attack.

Originally posted by Agent X

The first 20 points are necessary because of the reflection power. It defines what can be reflected. If you are not reflecting the power, why buy this power instead of just a block? If you buy reflection then you may want to define what you can reflect and it may not be every melee attack.

Although you have a good point, I disagree that there is a need to define specific types of HtH attacks for reflection purposes. If a character can block any type of HtH attack for free by default, then he should also be able to reflect any type of HtH attack for the 40 points (or whatever value you might feel is fair). If for some reason there are certain HtH attacks that cannot be reflected, I feel that is better defined by using a limitation on the cost of HtH Reflection instead. This allows the player to work with the GM to taylor the power at the appropriate level for the campaign, rather than setting arbitrary amounts that are unrelated to setting.

This is what Missle Deflection and Reflection do now, and I disagree with it. I personally feel that MD should be 20 points, and MR should be another 20, with appropriate limitations based on the setting (only vs throw weapons might be -1/2 in a fantasy setting, but worth -2 in a futuristic campaign where laser guns and lightsabres are standard issue).

But that's just my personal preference,

Steve