hit location

steph

when damage is done why the stunx are the only exception : you multipiclate the damage before minus the defense..........in others situation you minus the defense and you multiplicate the damage why is not the same with stunx

stef

hope i am clear

english not my first language

Re: hit location

when damage is done why the stunx are the only exception : you multipiclate the damage before minus the defense..........in others situation you minus the defense and you multiplicate the damage why is not the same with stunx

stef

hope i am clear

Because with the StunX that is the method by which you determine how much total stun you are doing. And that is based on the total amount of Body damage done by the attack, not by how much Body damage gets through defenses.

stef

hope i am clear

Are you referring to Killing or Normal damage? The Stun multiple for Killing attacks just replaces the stun multiple dice role. The Stun multiple for Normal damage is only applied after defenses are subtracted.

from 5er pages 414-415

HIT LOCATIONS AND NORMAL DAMAGE

To use the Hit Location Table for Normal Damage attacks, do the following after an attack hits:

1. Determine where the attack hit: Roll 3d6 and consult the fi rst two columns of the Hit Location

Table to find out where the attack struck the target.

2. Determine the STUN damage the target takes:

Roll the dice to determine how much STUN damage the attack does. Then apply the target’s

defenses. Multiply the amount of damage the target takes aft er applying his defenses by the modifier for

that part of the body in the N STUN column.

ok let see : my character with is broad sword (1d6+1) attack and hit a troll head who got 5 chain mail rpd and got a pd of 8.............i roll a 5 so doing 6 right? now for the stun damage i make 6x5 for 30 stun minus 13 for 17 stun and 6 minus 5 x2bodyx for 2 body

is that correct?

stef

ok let see : my character with is broad sword (1d6+1) attack and hit a troll head who got 5 chain mail rpd and got a pd of 8.............i roll a 5 so doing 6 right? now for the stun damage i make 6x5 for 30 stun minus 13 for 17 stun and 6 minus 5 x2bodyx for 2 body

is that correct?

stef

Correct! :thumbup:

is that correct?

stef

that looks right.

ok now if i punch another troll in the face with my 15 str (3d6n).......i roll a 3-3 and a 4 for 10 stun ok..............this troll got regid skin 1rpd and 8 of normal pd..........so my 10 stun minus 9 = 1 x2 nstun for the head ( a total of 2 stun) and 3 body minus 9 for 0 body damage right?.............my question is why in a killing attack i am not doing same calcul for stun damage ......take the total dice minus the defense and after multiplied by the stunx

hope i am clear

stef

ok now if i punch another troll in the face with my 15 str (3d6n).......i roll a 3-3 and a 4 for 10 stun ok..............this troll got regid skin 1rpd and 8 of normal pd..........so my 10 stun minus 9 = 1 x2 nstun for the head ( a total of 2 stun) and 3 body minus 9 for 0 body damage right?.............my question is why in a killing attack i am not doing same calcul for stun damage ......take the total dice minus the defense and after multiplied by the stunx

hope i am clear

stef

The reason you are doing the same calculation for the two is due to the fundamental difference in what you are doing. The Bodyx and NStunx multipliers are bonuses to damage done for hitting that body part. They are a modification to the amount of the same type of damage being done. Which is to say, with the Bodyx you are modifying the amount of Body damage that gets through armour, to show how vulnerable that part is to that type of damage. Same with NStunx. The Stunx for Killing Attacks on the other hand is a way of determining the base amount of Stun done by a Killing Attack. It isn't a modification of the amount of damage done due to a body part being particularly vulnerable, but a way of finding out how much Stun damage the attack does at all. You can and should be able to do Stun damage with a Killing Attack even if they have enough resistant armour such that none of the Body gets through.

I hope that helps clear things up.

is that correct?

stef

Hey Stef, Thia here. I'll just walk through this fight scene real quick; I should get it right. ;)

-- You swing your Broad Sword and hit the Troll in the HEAD. There are two possible outcomes.

1) You use the Hit Location Table, which does double the BODY and 5x the STUN damage for a Head Strike. So if you were to roll 5 for damage, you would deal 10 BODY, 50 STUN, before defenses are applied.

1a) You use the Hit Location rules to the fullest, and he has no helmet, and doesn't have naturally Resistant Defense, so he drops like a bag of hammers.

1b) You use the Hit Location rules for damage only, and give him the benefit of the doubt, and he applies his armor. Now, he reduces your 10 BODY (doubled for a Head Shot) to 5 BODY and 45 STUN. Then, he applies his natural PD only to the STUN damage. We'll say he has a PD of 5. Now he takes 5 BODY, 40 STUN and he'll at least be staggered for the next round.

2) You aren't using the Hit Location table, and instead use STUN Lotto (or as you've said, "STUNx"). You would roll damage (5) and then roll your STUN multiplier (1d6-1, in most cases). You roll 4 for STUN lotto, then subtract 1, and you get 3. Now you've done 5 BODY, 15 STUN. He soaks all 5 BODY with his chainmail, and some STUN gets through (5 points). He doesn't even stop to ask what happened.

Is that clear? Are you looking for more detail? Different example?

my question is why...

Perfectly clear. The clearest answer I have is thus:

The STUN done by a normal damage attack is determined by the total of the dice. The STUN of a killing damage attack is not; it's determined by a separate modifier. Since that modifier is determined by the result on the Hit Location chart, it would be redundant to also have an additional modifier to further affect the total STUN after defenses. Essentially, both normal and killing attacks work the same say on the Hit Location chart, but the killing damage attacks skip the last step for STUN.

FOR BODY in the book is said you have to minus the defenses before you multiplcated so if the enemy got a 3rpd and i hit with a 5 in the head i suppose to take my 5 minus the 3rpd for a 2 and after multiplied by 2 for a 4 body damage to the enemy

no?

stef

page 414 the goblin exemple i use for the present exmple: if i take your exemple you did 5 damage on the troll head (chain-mail of 5 and naturel pd of 5)..............for the stun we did 5 X5stun for 25 stun minus the defense for a total of 15 stun and for the body damage is 5 minus the chain-mail 5 for 0 x2body for 0 body damage

no?

stef

hope i am clear

You are absolutely correct. I apologize. And I think everyone does it incorrectly.

If using the chart, and my example above, it would come out quite differently; I apologize, I taught you the way I was taught, and clearly that either a) changed or B) was never properly understood. For clarify, here is the cleaned up example:

1) You use the Hit Location Table, which does double the BODY and 5x the STUN damage for a Head Strike. So if you were to roll 5 for damage, you would first apply the target's resistant defenses, and then multiply the remainder.

1a) You use the Hit Location rules to the fullest, and he has no helmet, and doesn't have naturally Resistant Defense, so he drops like a bag of hammers. In this case, because he cannot reduce the damage in any way, he takes 10 BODY, and 25 STUN. No matter what, he starts off at 25 STUN. What changes is the BODY he takes.

1b) You use the Hit Location rules for damage only, and give him the benefit of the doubt, and he applies his armor. Today, he'll be wearing a Chain Coif for an rPD of 2. Now, he reduces your 5 BODY to 3 BODY and 23 STUN.

Now, under the rules on page 414, the BODY damage (after resistant defenses are applied) doubles to 6. Then, he applies his natural PD only to the STUN damage. We'll say he has a PD of 5. Now he takes 6 BODY, 18 STUN and he'll at least be staggered for the next round.

2) You aren't using the Hit Location table, and instead use STUN Lotto (or as you've said, "STUNx"). You would roll damage (5) and then roll your STUN multiplier (1d6-1, in most cases). You roll 4 for STUN lotto, then subtract 1, and you get 3. Now you've done 5 BODY, 15 STUN. He soaks all 5 BODY with his chainmail, and some STUN gets through (5 points). He doesn't even stop to ask what happened. This example doesn't change, because there was never a BODY multiplier. The part I got backwards was adding in the multiplier prior to the armor.

Normal damage works similarly, but with STUN; you would roll for STUN damage, deduct appropriate defense, then multiply by the modifier in the chart.

Again, I apologize!

FOR BODY in the book is said you have to minus the defenses before you multiplcated so if the enemy got a 3rpd and i hit with a 5 in the head i suppose to take my 5 minus the 3rpd for a 2 and after multiplied by 2 for a 4 body damage to the enemy

no?

stef

page 414 the goblin exemple i use for the present exmple: if i take your exemple you did 5 damage on the troll head (chain-mail of 5 and naturel pd of 5)..............for the stun we did 5 X5stun for 25 stun minus the defense for a total of 15 stun and for the body damage is 5 minus the chain-mail 5 for 0 x2body for 0 body damage

no?

stef

hope i am clear

Yes, you are correct in both cases.