Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Mark Rand

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, my home town, is the heart of Southwestern Pennsylvania and, due to the city's multi-ethnic heritage, the center of a regional dialect known, officially, as Pittsburgh English, and, unofficially, as either Pittsburgheze or Yinzbonics.

Pittsburgh, in a campaign, is the real city with a few minor changes to reflect ideas of mine.

One is that the Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix, which, in real life, has been in existance for at least 20 years, is going to have its first ever race in the year the game starts.

Others are two new car tracks in the area. In real life, a domed motorsports facility was proposed for the site of the old terminal of Pittsburgh International Airport. In the campaign, the site is home to Pittsburgh Motor Speedway, a duplicate of Ontraio Motor Speedway, and Washington Raceway, a duplicate of Riverside International Raceway, is near Washington County's Peters Township.

Comments, advice, questions?

Re: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

not a bad thought. have you thought of moving wayne automotive (a new div. of wayne corp) to Pittsburgh as part of your back drop.

No.

Bruce Wayne's corporation has a division that makes cars now? I didn't know that, but then, I haven't read DC Comics for over a year now. I gave up on them, and Marvel, when things went nuts.

well no i made the div. up i felt it would alow more flexability to your story telling.

Nothing of Bruce Wayne's in the Pittsburgh area.

On the other hand, Carter International, whose headquarters are in Allegheny Square, is well known. The coorporation ownes Washington Raceway and bought a lot of stuff from the old Buhl Planetarium. Later, they rebuilt it, to code, near the University of Pittsburgh, before donating it to Pitt.

No.

Bruce Wayne's corporation has a division that makes cars now? I didn't know that, but then, I haven't read DC Comics for over a year now. I gave up on them, and Marvel, when things went nuts.

Well, why not? It would allow him to market some of the gadgets he develops for the Batmobile on the open market (not so much the weapons as the automatic driving systems, and other such revolutionary items), and it would give him a place to develop the next generation of Batmobile.

Sounds like a plan to me--but it's your campaign.

Well, why not? It would allow him to market some of the gadgets he develops for the Batmobile on the open market (not so much the weapons as the automatic driving systems, and other such revolutionary items), and it would give him a place to develop the next generation of Batmobile.

Sounds like a plan to me--but it's your campaign.

Maybe.

It could be a part of Wayne Technologies. Might be in somewhere in the suburbs.

• 4 weeks later...

I've decided to remove the car track by the airport and make the track in Washington County the, more or less, duplicate of the former Ontario Motor Speedway. I say "more or less" because inside the big oval we have a go-cart track, with its own go-carts, and a half-mile oval that has a figure-8 track inside it.

The city was, finally, chosen to have a PRIMUS base. It's in the Station Square area, between the Panhandle Bridge and Hooters. The nearby Smithfield Street Bridge is a drawbridge. A building behind the Hooters houses the bridge control center and the quarters of the married couple that operate the drawbridge.

Coming from an old-school steelworker family as I do' date=' all I can say about superheroes in Pittsburgh is: there has to be a "Joe Magarac" type of hero.[/quote']

As I recall, he was a metalic brick that once worked in a steel mill. Right?

As I recall' date=' he was a metalic brick that once worked in a steel mill. Right?[/quote']

Basically, yes. A sort of patron saint/deity of the American steel worker.

Aside from being made of steel and having the to-be-expected super-strength, he was also immune to fire and heat.

I posted a thread about the 'Genie of Steel' here on the forums some time back. If I can find it maybe I'll link it here; it had some links of its own concerning Joe's legend in Pittsburgh.