College of Blademagic

Fedifensor

I'm working on updating a spell college for Fantasy Hero, originally created for 4th edition HERO. It's the college of blademagic, where the caster is actually using an attuned blade as a focus for incredible feats with the blade. I was hoping for someone to review it to see if the spells are in line with the other spell colleges in the FH book, and point out anything that seems over the top.

I see a standard blademage character starting with all the basic spells, plus Featherblade, Bladeportal, and Woundhealer. Unlike most mages, the blademage generally needs a high STR and CON...one of the tests administered by the college is the ability for the blademage to defeat a foe without using spells.

My apologies for the formatting - I'm using HD2, and I don't have a good export template for the boards.

Blademagic - Basic Spells, all slots OAF - Attuned Blade (-1), Requires A Magic Skill Roll (-1/2), Expertise - Must have at least 20 points of Blademagic spells (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) [Notes: These are the basic spells of blademagic, and all of them must be mastered before the blademage is taught more advanced spells from the blademagic college. The focus for all blademagic spells is an attuned blade (it takes a full day to attune a different blade if the caster's chosen blade is stolen or destroyed).]

8 1) Bladespirit: Aid STR 3d6, Delayed Return Rate (points return at the rate of 5 per Minute; +1/4) (37 Active Points); OAF - Attuned Blade (-1), Self Only (-1/2), Custom Modifier (Only when using blade; -1/2), Requires A Magic Skill Roll (-1/2), Expertise - Must have at least 20 points of Blademagic spells (-1/2), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) [Notes: The blademage awakens the spirit of the blade, allowing it to aid him in combat by putting more force behind his blows. The weapon also resists being dislodged from the caster's hand.]

3 2) Interposing Blade: Force Field (6 PD/6 ED) (12 Active Points); OAF - Attuned Blade (-1), Requires A Magic Skill Roll (-1/2), Expertise - Must have at least 20 points of Blademagic spells (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) [Notes: The caster's blade deflects incoming attacks, partially nullifying their effect.]

1 3) Spellfinder: Detect Magic A Single Thing 13- (Unusual Group) (5 Active Points); OAF - Attuned Blade (-1), Costs Endurance (-1/2), Requires A Magic Skill Roll (-1/2), Expertise - Must have at least 20 points of Blademagic spells (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) [Notes: The caster's blade points toward the location of nearby magic and glows.]

8 4) Spellslicer: Dispel Any One Magical Spell 9d6, Affects any single magical spell (+1/4) (34 Active Points); OAF - Attuned Blade (-1), No Range (-1/2), Requires A Magic Skill Roll (-1/2), Expertise - Must have at least 20 points of Blademagic spells (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) [Notes: The caster swings his sword, causing it to go briefly incorporeal as it cuts into the target spell, destroying the magic.]

Blademagic - College Spells, all slots OAF - Attuned Blade (-1), Expertise - Must have at least 30 points of Blademagic spells (-3/4), Requires A Magic Skill Roll (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) [Notes: The college spells require a lot of dedication to master - the character must have learned all of the basic spells, and at least 10 more points worth of college spells.]

7 1) Animate Blade: Telekinesis (20 STR) (30 Active Points); OAF - Attuned Blade (-1), Expertise - Must have at least 30 points of Blademagic spells (-3/4), Only versus blades (-1/2), Requires A Magic Skill Roll (-1/2), Affects Whole Object (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) [Notes: The caster targets a blade (perhaps one held by a foe) and begins moving his own blade. If successful, the target blade lwill move in concert with his own, and can be used to attack as if it were his own weapon.]

11 2) Blade Barrier: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6, Damage Shield (Offensive; +3/4), Continuous (+1) (41 Active Points); OAF - Attuned Blade (-1), Expertise - Must have at least 30 points of Blademagic spells (-3/4), Requires A Magic Skill Roll (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) [Notes: The blademages begins to spin his blade in a pattern, creating a wall of steel that will injure anyone who attacks him. This spell is commonly used in conjunction with the Interposing Blade spell. For every 13.5 STR used by the wielder, the damage increases by +1DC, to a maximum of 2d6K with 41 STR.]

4 3) Bladehurling: (Total: 24 Active Cost, 4 Real Cost) Penalty Skill Levels: +4 vs. Range Modifier with All Attacks (12 Active Points); OAF - Attuned Blade (-1), Expertise - Must have at least 30 points of Blademagic spells (-3/4), Costs Endurance (-1/2), Only with blades (-1/2), Requires A Magic Skill Roll (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) (Real Cost: 2) plus Penalty Skill Levels: +4 vs. Throwing modifiers with All Attacks (12 Active Points); OAF - Attuned Blade (-1), Expertise - Must have at least 30 points of Blademagic spells (-3/4), Costs Endurance (-1/2), Only with blades (-1/2), Requires A Magic Skill Roll (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) (Real Cost: 2) [Notes: This spell guides a blade as it is thrown, making it extremely accurate.]

3 4) Bladelink: Mind Link , Human class of minds, Any Willing Target (15 Active Points); OAF - Attuned Blade (-1), Expertise - Must have at least 30 points of Blademagic spells (-3/4), Target must have a held blade at all times or power ends (-1/2), Requires A Magic Skill Roll (-1/2), Does Not Provide Mental Awareness (-1/4), Extra Time (Full Phase, Only to Activate, -1/4), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) [Notes: This spell links the caster's blade with a blade carried by another individual. This allows communication between the two blades as long as they are held openly. If either character lets the blade go or sheathes it, the spell ends.]

5 5) Bladeportal: Teleportation 10" (20 Active Points); OAF - Attuned Blade (-1), Expertise - Must have at least 30 points of Blademagic spells (-3/4), Requires A Magic Skill Roll (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) [Notes: The caster's blade cuts a hole in the fabric of space, lasting just long enough for him to step through.]

4 6) Bladesharpen: Armor Piercing (+1/2) for up to 30 Active Points of Blades (up to 2d6 HKA) (15 Active Points); OAF - Attuned Blade (-1), Expertise - Must have at least 30 points of Blademagic spells (-3/4), Requires A Magic Skill Roll (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) [Notes: The blademage makes his blade exceptionally sharp, so it can slice through armor. The weapon does the same amount of damage, and the character can increase the damage by +1 DC per 7 1/2 points of STR above the blade's STR Min (paying the END for the spell plus the STR used when wielding the blade).]

5 7) Dancing Blade: Stretching 2", Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Invisible Power Effects (Fully Invisible; +1) (22 Active Points); OAF - Attuned Blade (-1), Expertise - Must have at least 30 points of Blademagic spells (-3/4), Only with blades (-1/2), Requires A Magic Skill Roll (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) [Notes: The blademage animates his weapon and sends it to attack his foes. Note that the character is still considered to be holding the blade (which means he can be disarmed).]

3 8) Deflecting Blade: Missile Deflection (Bullets & Shrapnel) (15 Active Points); OAF - Attuned Blade (-1), Expertise - Must have at least 30 points of Blademagic spells (-3/4), Costs Endurance (-1/2), Requires A Magic Skill Roll (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) [Notes: The blademage uses his blade to deflect incoming missiles.]

8 9) Featherblade: Telekinesis (23 STR), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (43 Active Points); OAF - Attuned Blade (-1), Expertise - Must have at least 30 points of Blademagic spells (-3/4), No Range (-1/2), Only versus blades (-1/2), Must be recast if blade leaves hands (-1/2), Requires A Magic Skill Roll (-1/2), Affects Whole Object (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) [Notes: The blademage uses this spell to make his blade as light as a feather, enabling him to accomplish amazing feats with it (such as wielding a Greatsword with one hand).]

7 10) Swordforger: Minor Transform 2d6 (Blades to Blades), Improved Target Group (Blades) (+1/4), Cumulative (+1/2) (35 Active Points); Limited Target (Blades only) (-1), OAF - Attuned Blade (-1), Expertise - Must have at least 30 points of Blademagic spells (-3/4), Requires A Magic Skill Roll (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) [Notes: The caster reshapes a held weapon (which can be his attuned blade or a different blade), changing its form into a different type of blade. If the caster makes a blade that has more BODY than his initial weapon, he must roll twice the BODY of the new weapon before the transformation will take place.]

8 11) Vampire Blade: Transfer 2d6 (STUN to STUN) (30 Active Points); OAF - Attuned Blade (-1), Expertise - Must have at least 30 points of Blademagic spells (-3/4), Requires A Magic Skill Roll (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) [Notes: The blademage enchants his weapon to steal the target's vitality. This is used in conjunction with an attack with the blade, dealing the weapon's normal damage plus the STUN transfer.]

12 12) Whirling Blade of Doom: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6, Continuous (+1), Area Of Effect (3" Radius; +1), Selective (+1/4) (49 Active Points); OAF - Attuned Blade (-1), Expertise - Must have at least 30 points of Blademagic spells (-3/4), Requires A Magic Skill Roll (-1/2), Only up to normal damage of blade (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) [Notes: One of the deadliest spells available to the blademage, the Whirling Blade of Doom allows the character to spin about, attacking anyone within reach. For every 16 STR used, the character can add +1 DC, to a maximum of 2d6K damage.]

7 13) Woundhealer: Healing (Simplified Healing) 3d6 (30 Active Points); OAF - Attuned Blade (-1), Expertise - Must have at least 30 points of Blademagic spells (-3/4), Extra Time (Full Phase, -1/2), Requires A Magic Skill Roll (-1/2), Target takes damage equal to the amount rolled if magic roll failed (Side Effect only affects the recipient of the benefits of the Power; -1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4) [Notes: The blademage swings his blade at the person to be healed, willing it to heal instead of harm. The blade turns briefly incorporeal as it strikes the target, healing the wound. If the magic roll is failed, the blademage fails to change the blade's deadly nature in time, creating a new wound.]

Blademagic - Unique Spells, all slots OAF - Attuned Blade (-1), Requires A Magic Skill Roll (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Expertise - Must have at least 40 points of Blademagic spells (-1/4)

31 1) Dancing Blade of Death: (Total: 121 Active Cost, 31 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6, Area Of Effect (48" Radius; +2), Selective (+1/4) (97 Active Points); OAF - Attuned Blade (-1), No Range (-1/2), Requires A Magic Skill Roll (-1/2), Only up to base damage of blade (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Expertise - Must have at least 40 points of Blademagic spells (-1/4) (Real Cost: 23) plus Penalty Skill Levels: +8 vs. Range Modifier with All Attacks (24 Active Points); OAF - Attuned Blade (-1), Requires A Magic Skill Roll (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Expertise - Must have at least 40 points of Blademagic spells (-1/4) (Real Cost: 7) [Notes: A deadly spell known only to the most powerful blademages, the Dancing Blade of Death can literally destroy an army in seconds. By throwing his sword, the blademage causes his weapon to go about the battlefield, striking at anyone he chooses. Note for GMs - anyone who successfully casts this spell and then does a Presence attack should get at least +5d6 (Surprise, Exhibiting a Power, and Incredibly Violent Action!).]

42 2) Mages' Doom: Suppress All Magical Effects 5d6, all magic powers simultaneously (+2), Personal Immunity (+1/4), 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Day (+1/4), Uncontrolled (+1/2), Continuous (+1), Area Of Effect (104" Radius; +1 3/4) (169 Active Points); OAF - Attuned Blade (-1), Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Only to Activate, -3/4), Requires A Magic Skill Roll (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Expertise - Must have at least 40 points of Blademagic spells (-1/4) [Notes: The blademage slices into the very fabric of magic itself, rendering the area nearly dead to all magic except that of the caster and other blademages. Note - at the caster's option, he may forgo his Personal Immunity (this option is normally reserved for when the character is challenged to a non-magical duel).]

Re: College of Blademagic

I've had characters with an Attack Technique similar to your Whirling Blade of Doom.

It was called the Shinu no Tatsunami (Whirlwind of Death) and it consisted of 1D6+1 HKA(20) AE-Radius-Selective (+1 1/4) Autofire 5 (+1/2) 1/2 END (+1/2)

Limitations: Full Phase Activation (-1/2) OAF (-1) Requires Skill Roll (-1/2)

Total Active: 65pts Real cost: 22pts.

Basically it hit every enemy within a 3" or so Radius of my character with an Autofire 5 attack against each enemy. The visual effect was that my character would blur and hundreds of blades are seen slashing through the area then my character would reappear in the central hex and pose, while the enemies around him explode in a gruesome display of blood and innards.

I've had characters with an Attack Technique similar to your Whirling Blade of Doom.

[text deleted]

Basically it hit every enemy within a 3" or so Radius of my character with an Autofire 5 attack against each enemy. The visual effect was that my character would blur and hundreds of blades are seen slashing through the area then my character would reappear in the central hex and pose, while the enemies around him explode in a gruesome display of blood and innards.

Well, that would probably be a bit much for a college spell...but now that you mention it, I could add Autofire and 1/2 end to the Dancing Blade of Death. That would really decimate an army...

Any chance of a prefab for when this school has grown sufficiently?

Yeah, I can post something. My main concern is getting the spells correct both in mechanics and play balance. For example, since my 5th edition FH book is currently missing, I don't know if the Expertise limitation is still valid.

Yeah' date=' I can post something. My main concern is getting the spells correct both in mechanics and play balance. For example, since my 5th edition FH book is currently missing, I don't know if the Expertise limitation is still valid.[/quote']

In my most recent cursory reading, I saw nothing to indicate it wasn't.

What is the Expertise Limitation?

It's not a limit in 5th edition FH. It's discussed on p241 under "Eligibility Requirements". The design philospohy change is that it's a campaign thing rather than a limit, because it doesn't actually limit the use of the spell at all. If you have the requisite number of points to have a particular spell (say a 20 pointer) then you can buy it. If you don't have the points, then you can't. So the Limit never actually limits the Character, and hence is a -0

That said it's a good carryover if you're using the Spell college system from 4th and works well as an access control element for magic in a campaign, keeping dabblers with only a few spells from having the really uber effects.

It's not a limit in 5th edition FH. It's discussed on p241 under "Eligibility Requirements". The design philospohy change is that it's a campaign thing rather than a limit, because it doesn't actually limit the use of the spell at all. If you have the requisite number of points to have a particular spell (say a 20 pointer) then you can buy it. If you don't have the points, then you can't. So the Limit never actually limits the Character, and hence is a -0

That said it's a good carryover if you're using the Spell college system from 4th and works well as an access control element for magic in a campaign, keeping dabblers with only a few spells from having the really uber effects.

So, the idea is, say...you need to have four 15 point spells before you can buy 30 point spells? Or closer to "for every 60 point spell you have, you must have X number of points in lesser spells?"

Rob

Since these spells were originally written under 4th edition, I may pull the Expertise limitation (once I can find my 5E FH book). However, 4th didn't have the Spell limitation, so the costs of each spell probably won't change that much.

UltraRob: The Expertise limitation in 4E was a -1/4 to -1 limitation, depending on whether 10, 20, 30, or 40 points of spells in the college were required to be able to use a particular spell. It was basically a discount based on how much of an investment you were making in spellcasting, which kept players from cherry-picking 2 or 3 spells. So, instead of a storm mage just taking 3 spells, such as a lightning bolt (Energy Blast), wind shield (Force Field), and wind riding (Flight), they'd have to be a bit more diverse and get other spells in the college.

• 2 years later...

So, I've finally started to rework the Blademage spells for 6E. I've decided to remove Bladespirit, and replace it with Featherblade - which I believe to be the defining spell of the college. I've also decided that Spellslicer is a more advanced spell, so I've taken it out of the basic spell list.

Here's what I've got so far. I'll update this post as I convert more spells.

College of Blademagic - Basic Spells

7 Featherblade: Telekinesis (18 STR), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (34 Active Points); OAF (-1), Only with attuned blade (-3/4), No Range (-1/2), Requires A Roll (Power: Magic; -1/2), Affects Whole Object (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4).

The blademage uses this spell to make his blade as light as a feather, enabling him to accomplish amazing feats with it (such as wielding a Greatsword with one hand).

5 Interposing Blade: Resistant Protection (5 PD/5 ED) (15 Active Points); OAF (-1), Requires A Roll (Power: Magic; -1/2), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4).

The caster's blade deflects incoming attacks, partially nullifying their effect.

1 Spellfinder: Detect Magic (INT roll) (Unusual Group) (5 Active Points); OAF (-1), Costs Endurance (-1/2), Requires A Roll (Power: Magic; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4).

The caster's blade points toward the location of nearby magic and glows.

College of Blademagic - College Spells

8 Animate Blade: Telekinesis (20 STR) (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), Only versus blades (-1/2), Requires A Roll (Power: Magic; -1/2), Affects Whole Object (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4).

The caster targets a blade (perhaps one held by a foe) and begins moving his own blade. If successful, the target blade will move in concert with his own, and can be used to attack as if it were his own weapon.

9 Blade Barrier: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6, Area Of Effect (1m Surface; +1/4), Constant (+1/2) (26 Active Points); OAF (-1), Requires A Roll (Power: Magic; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4).

The blademage begins to spin his blade in a pattern, creating a wall of steel that will injure anyone who attacks him.

10 Bladehurling: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6 (30 Active Points); OAF (-1), Requires A Roll (Power: Magic; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4).

The blademage throws his blade, which flies at a target to strike it before returning to the blademage's hand.

3 Bladesharpen: Naked Advantage: Armor Piercing (for up to 2d6+1K) (+1/4) for up to 35 Active Points (9 Active Points); OAF (-1), Requires A Roll (Power: Magic; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4).

The blademage makes his blade exceptionally sharp, so it can slice through armor.

7 Deflecting Blade: Deflection (20 Active Points); OAF (-1), Requires A Roll (Power: Magic; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4).

The blademage uses his blade to deflect incoming missiles and spells.

10 Spellslicer: Dispel 9d6, Affects any one magic spell (+1/4) (34 Active Points); OAF (-1), No Range (-1/2), Requires A Roll (Power: Magic; -1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4).

The caster swings his sword, causing it to go briefly incorporeal as it cuts into the target spell, destroying the magic.

16 Whirling Blade of Doom: Killing Attack - Ranged 2d6, Area Of Effect (2m Radius; +1/4), Selective (+1/4), Constant (+1/2) (60 Active Points); OAF (-1), No Range (-1/2), Requires A Roll (Power: Magic; -1/2), Only up to normal damage of blade (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4).

One of the deadliest spells available to the blademage, the Whirling Blade of Doom allows the character to spin about and attack anyone within reach as long as the spell is maintained.