Harmful lunar dust and genetically altered mosquitos?

tkdguy

Re: Harmful lunar dust and genetically altered mosquitos?

The dust idea (lung hazard via microparticles that are suppressed in an atmosphere) makes a lot of sense. The analogy to silicosis seems very good. It's really only going to matter in places where you're living in a dome on a vacuum world, and there's a fair amount of traffic out into the vacuum of the surface. A regular full-capacity base would have mechanisms in its air locks to take care of this; it could be as simple as a wet shower after coming up to pressure but before opening the suit, or as invisibly high-tech as some sort of electrostatic mumbo-jumbo still in vacuum that got all the particles off the suit and into particle-catchers before pressurization. Small ships, landing craft, etc., might do without such things simply because one exposure isn't lethal and the antiparticle measures are bulky and expensive.

Genetically manipulating disease vectors as a way to influence the disease ... interesting idea, though I fear the reservations mentioned in the article are probably correct. The malaria plasmodium is stunningly variable and adaptive, and has a potent ability to evolve against our prevention measures, so this idea could be another nice concept that's impossible (the "belling the cat" problem). After all, if we can't come up with an effective vaccination against malaria in humans, why should we think we could make an effective means to prevent malaria in mosquitos?

"If you took a healthy pair of adult lungs and smeared them out, they would cover a football field," Professor Taylor told BBC News.

If I haven't heard it before, it's news to me!

Previous in vitro experiments with rodents found little effect from the inhalation of samples of lunar soil of average grain size. But Larry Taylor says that new experiments need to concentrate on the effects of breathing in the fine dust particles.

What's the deal? I want to breath lunar soil. Lab rats and space monkeys get to have all the fun. :(

In addition, when some fine dust particles are examined under the microscope, they can be seen to be filled with holes - like Swiss cheese.

... ah... Swiss cheese, huh? Hm... what a random analogy... I guess that's why they gave it to the rats.

"I discovered that if you put lunar soil in your microwave oven, next to your tea, it will melt at 1,200C before your tea boils - which is a magical thing," he said.

Whoa there, Professor Science... :P

Interesting links' date=' Nyrath![/quote']

Thanks, though you will note that most of them are from 2005. The link that started this thread was about old news.

I ran across them back in the days when I was slaving away at doing a space science blog.