Help building a gadget

Stray Cat

Hey guys,

I need some help building a gadget for my Golden Age gadgeteer. So far he has met several other people with "interesting" technology. The way I have role-played him, he's constantly taking notes of others' works and words. Now I want to have his notebook on the sheet, so that he can go back, look at his notes, and "improve" on others' technology.

What I am envisioning is a "Handy-Dandy Notebook." (Would Eidetic Memory fit the bill here?) Doc Turbo writes in shorthand in various directions on the paper. He also draws diagrams. I am imagining that other people would have difficulty making sense out of it, but he seems to be able to zip right through it. (Negative skill levels for reading? Cryptography? Whuh? Oh, and speed-reading possibly? Or could I built it with Clairsentience - Retrocognition?) [edited precognition to retro]

Can you guys see any problems with something like this?

Cat

I see no problem with it what so ever

Handy Dandy Notebook: Eidetic Memory, OAF, personal, 2 points

Maybe add:

+2 with all Int based skills, OAF, personal, Only for subjects previously encountered (-1/2), 4 points

Total 6 points

Guest Keneton

Otherwise by special effects no one needs to understand the power as Eidetic Memory is a talent and hence inherently invisible. You could add gestures, requires a writing instrument, extra time full phase, concentrate 1/2 DCV etc to simulate drawing.

In addition you could give it a burnout if the pen or pencil could no longer write "damn pen is out of ink again!!"

This guy sounds fun.

:D

I hate to be the one to mention this.

Why does he need to pay points for it at all?

Pen and paper are things I just sort of assume characters have access to.

I even let them have flashlights, spare change, cel-phones, and chewing gum for free. :P

It sounds more like a shtick than a power that needs to be paid for.

Heck, you could even give him a distinctinve feature: constantly taking notes and making diagrams.

Why pay for it when you can get points back for it?

Originally posted by D-Man

I hate to be the one to mention this.

Why does he need to pay points for it at all?

Pen and paper are things I just sort of assume characters have access to.

I even let them have flashlights, spare change, cel-phones, and chewing gum for free. :P

It sounds more like a shtick than a power that needs to be paid for.

Heck, you could even give him a distinctinve feature: constantly taking notes and making diagrams.

Why pay for it when you can get points back for it?

I never would have required it. I just think he wants to do it so he can point to it on his character sheet and get a "warm fuzzy." Although, by buying it he can extend the concept to actually have impact in game besides explaining new purchases of gadgets. I would probably give him a bonus to skill rolls in very specific cases.

Originally posted by Agent X

I never would have required it. I just think he wants to do it so he can point to it on his character sheet and get a "warm fuzzy." Although, by buying it he can extend the concept to actually have impact in game besides explaining new purchases of gadgets. I would probably give him a bonus to skill rolls in very specific cases.

Then we can make it cheaper.

+2 Levels Inventor Skill (4 Points), OAF Pen & Paper, Incantations, Gestures

1 Point.

Originally posted by D-Man

Then we can make it cheaper.

+2 Levels Inventor Skill (4 Points), OAF Pen & Paper, Incantations, Gestures

1 Point.

Well, if he wants the eidetic memory to tie in on bonus skill rolls concerning previously examined tech he ought to go with the first suggestion.

I figured you wouldn't mind, Doug. And you're right, there will be other uses for the handy-dandy notebook. At first I did envision it as merely a schtick for new gadget ideas. I'm not certain of the uses in the future yet, but Doc Turbo is so much smarter than I am that he will come up with some.

Thanks all for the input!

Cat