Stupid Velocity Question

handleyj

Re: Stupid Velocity Question

I'm not sure where it is in 5ER (I don't own it, and my older 5th is on loan) - but here's how to figure it out:

Take your character's speed and divide it by 12.

Multiply this number (almost surely a fraction) by your character's movement rate - this will give you your character's movement in inches per second.

Multiply this number by 2 to get meters per second (though if you consider an inch to be two yards and not meters, multiply this number by 0.915), and then 3.6 to get your character's velocity in kilometers per hour. For those who are metric-impaired, multiply your speed in kph by 0.625 to get your speed in miles per hour.

This will give you your combat velocity: don't forget to multiply your combat velocity by your noncombat multiples, to see how fast you can go when you really set your mind to it. You could take pushing into account if you wanted to see the absolute maximum - this would make a huge difference for cheaper movement modes like leaping, swimming, and swinging.

Hopefully that comes out reasonably clear!

Oops, I think that's calculating real world velocity from Hero stats...? I was wondering how to calculate velocity for things like move throughs (STR + (v/3)d6) ... how do you calculate the "v" part there? And where is that specified in the book?

Thanks!

Oops' date=' I think that's calculating real world velocity from Hero stats...? I was wondering how to calculate velocity for things like move throughs (STR + (v/3)d6) ... how do you calculate the "v" part there? And where is that specified in the book?[/quote']

In that case, v is your inches of movement. Normally it's your full inches of movement per Phase, but it's conceivable that you might not be at your full velocity; it takes 1" of movement to accelerate 5", so if you're only 3" from a wall that you need to do a Move Through on, you'll hit it at 15" per Phase (assuming you have at least that much movement).

Oh, okay - this one's a lot simpler. "V" is how fast you're moving when you pull off the maneuver. That isn't the same as "how far you've moved", since you can accelerate to top speed fairly quickly (at 5" per hex, if I remember correctly, barring the use of movement skill levels).

For example, you've got a character with STR 50 and 15" of running. assuming he's got at least 3" between him and his target (allowing him to get up to full speed), ol' freight train here would do STR (10d6) + v/3 (15/3 = 5d6) damage - so the total would be 15d6. Also, if memory serves, you can only get full dice from velocity stuff like this, so if this character had only 14" of running, he'd only get 4d6 extra damage from his move.

Of course, the character doesn't have to use his max. movement rate...

Again, I couldn't tell you exactly where to look for this, but it will be either:

a) the description of the specific maneuver in question (eg. look up move-through in the index), or

B) at the beginning of the section those types of maneuvers are listed in. It should come up as "the v/x element" or something similar, and you should be able to find it in the index too.

Hope that's more helpful!