arcane lock

feralucce

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: arcane lock

the spell arcane lock in D&D... permenantly locks a door, accessable through a couple ways and the one who cast it...

any suggestions on how to write this up?

Force Wall with 1 or 2 levels of the Difficult To Dispell Advantage.

or

http://www.killershrike.com/FantasyHERO/Content/Powers/Spells/Spells.asp?Type=

Provider Source

Killer Shrike PHB3e

Type SubType Category

Arcane Wizardry Abjuration

RealCost ActiveCost SpellLevel

18 105 6

Spell

Entangle 2d6, 4 DEF, Immediately Goes Away After 6 Hours (+0), Personal Immunity (+1/4), Trigger (Defined Circumstance (Determined When Cast); +1/2), AOE Nonselective Target (8" Radius; +3/4), IPE (Fully Invisible; +1) (105 Active Points); 1 Charges (-2), Only To Block Doors (Effectively Adds an Invisible 4 DEF, 2d6 to Doors; must be penetrated to use Lockpicking) (-1), Only To Form Barriers (-1), Incantations (-1/4), Concentration 1/2 DCV (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4)

My build from the conversion prefabs:

14 Arcane Lock: Force Wall (6 PD; 2" long and 2" tall) (Alterable Size), Limited Power Power loses less than a fourth of its effectiveness (Supressed for 10 minutes by Knock, or Dispelled by Dispel Magic; +0), Personal Immunity (The Caster May Pass Through His Own Arcane Lock; +1/4), 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Year (+1 1/4) (60 Active Points); OAF (Gold Powder worth 25 Silver; -1), Spell (Abjuration; -1/2), Requires An Abjuration Roll (-1/2), No Range (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Restricted Shape (Only for doors, chests, portals, etc.; -1/4)

My build from the conversion prefabs:

14 Arcane Lock: Force Wall (6 PD; 2" long and 2" tall) (Alterable Size), Limited Power Power loses less than a fourth of its effectiveness (Supressed for 10 minutes by Knock, or Dispelled by Dispel Magic; +0), Personal Immunity (The Caster May Pass Through His Own Arcane Lock; +1/4), 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Year (+1 1/4) (60 Active Points); OAF (Gold Powder worth 25 Silver; -1), Spell (Abjuration; -1/2), Requires An Abjuration Roll (-1/2), No Range (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4), Incantations (-1/4), Restricted Shape (Only for doors, chests, portals, etc.; -1/4)

Sorry I didn't post this as well. I was just too lazy go dig for it (on my thumb drive in another room!).

So how are the 5th level spells coming along? I hope I didn't curb your enthusiasm.

Force Wall with 1 or 2 levels of the Difficult To Dispell Advantage.

or

http://www.killershrike.com/FantasyHERO/Content/Powers/Spells/Spells.asp?Type=

Provider Source

Killer Shrike PHB3e

Type SubType Category

Arcane Wizardry Abjuration

RealCost ActiveCost SpellLevel

18 105 6

Spell

Entangle 2d6, 4 DEF, Immediately Goes Away After 6 Hours (+0), Personal Immunity (+1/4), Trigger (Defined Circumstance (Determined When Cast); +1/2), AOE Nonselective Target (8" Radius; +3/4), IPE (Fully Invisible; +1) (105 Active Points); 1 Charges (-2), Only To Block Doors (Effectively Adds an Invisible 4 DEF, 2d6 to Doors; must be penetrated to use Lockpicking) (-1), Only To Form Barriers (-1), Incantations (-1/4), Concentration 1/2 DCV (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4)

That's the full-blown Guards & Wards version which will lock anything you like within a large structure. A more modest single application would be Hold Portal:

Hold Portal

Just add effect to make it stronger if needed.

Sorry I didn't post this as well. I was just too lazy go dig for it (on my thumb drive in another room!).

So how are the 5th level spells coming along? I hope I didn't curb your enthusiasm.

Well, more accurately I hoped I didn't upset you to the point you weren't going to help. Like I said, it wasn't my intent. I took the day off yesterday and did nothing but play Super Swing Golf. :D I have an interview at noon today and then I'll probably get some work done on them.

Oh, COME ON. Now even the Line Developer is shilling his builds! This is ridiculous! ;)

Actually, that was my only problem with some of the spells in the FHG -- I could never bloody find some of them because the titles were "So & So's Spell of Mental Conundrum."

Arcane Lock allows you to pass through the door you enspell, and, even with personal immunity, FW and entangle do not let you ignore them.

I think that you need either the old faithful Transform (door to locked door, except for you, and added DEF, removed by dispel magic) OR an uncontrolled TK.

I could be wrong. I usually am.

Arcane Lock allows you to pass through the door you enspell, and, even with personal immunity, FW and entangle do not let you ignore them.

I think that you need either the old faithful Transform (door to locked door, except for you, and added DEF, removed by dispel magic) OR an uncontrolled TK.

I could be wrong. I usually am.

Well even if Personal Immunity is a no go you could build a linked Desolidification Only vs. the Arcane Lock "barrier" (-2) which will probably cost about the same points or less.

Arcane Lock allows you to pass through the door you enspell' date=' and, even with personal immunity, FW and entangle do not let you ignore them.[/quote']

Why not? I thought that was precisely what PI was supposed to do.

I would just build this as a very high Lockpicking Skill Roll, as an opposed roll to anyone trying to open it. With various "spell-like" modifiers to taste: Costs END, Incantations, RSR, etc.

Let's take a look at the 'source' we are trying to convert.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/arcaneLock.htm

Arcane Lock

Abjuration

Level: Sor/Wiz 2

Components: V, S, M

Casting Time: 1 standard action

Range: Touch

Target: The door, chest, or portal touched, up to 30 sq. ft./level in size

Duration: Permanent

Saving Throw: None

Spell Resistance: No

An arcane lock spell cast upon a door, chest, or portal magically locks it. You can freely pass your own arcane lock without affecting it; otherwise,
a door or object secured with this spell can be opened only by breaking in or with a successful dispel magic or knock spell. Add 10 to the normal DC to break open a door or portal affected by this spell.
(A knock spell does not remove an arcane lock; it only suppresses the effect for 10 minutes.)

Material Component

Gold dust worth 25 gp.

Not only does the spell stop lockpicking but it also protects the door from mundane physical damage too.

Arcane Lock allows you to pass through the door you enspell' date=' and, even with personal immunity, FW and entangle do not let you ignore them.[/quote']

Sure it does. Personal Immunity is open to interpretation; if its agreed upon meaning is understood between the GM and players on certain build, then thats how it works.

Not only does the spell stop lockpicking but it also protects the door from mundane physical damage too.

Yah, which is why I used Entangle -- it accomplishes this.

TK and Lockpicking work too, and also they can all be used in the same setting as different ways to do the same general thing. As Im sure you all know, HERO is inclusive, not exclusive ;)

Actually AL does not make the door harder to damage, it makes it harder to burst open - the spell has no effect on hardness or hitpoints, just on the strength check to burst it open: in Hero terms it is as if the door is being held shut, not made tougher.

Yes it stops the lockpicking, but so would a transform, old saw that it is, or even a properly defined TK.

The problem with a small entangle or FW, even if PI did allow this, which I'm still disputing, is that you could give the door a light tap, destroy the protective shell, then open the door normally. That deinitely is not how the spell works.

Why not? I thought that was precisely what PI was supposed to do.

I would just build this as a very high Lockpicking Skill Roll, as an opposed roll to anyone trying to open it. With various "spell-like" modifiers to taste: Costs END, Incantations, RSR, etc.

PI would not let you pass through your own force wall and, whilst PI will stop you being entangled by your open entangle power, but will not let you ignore the entangle you place on other people or objects, or pass through barriers created with your own entangle power.

Actually AL does not make the door harder to damage, it makes it harder to burst open - the spell has no effect on hardness or hitpoints, just on the strength check to burst it open: in Hero terms it is as if the door is being held shut, not made tougher.

I am by no means an expert on current D&D rules but I thougth the "DC" in the spell description meant "Damage Check". Sounds like Hit Points to me.

DC is Difficulty Check -- the roll required on Total Skill + d20 to accomplish a given task. Most tasks are set somewhere between 10 & 30 (yes, just like HERO, but the mechanics are linear instead of bell curved).

And I am entirely familiar with 3.5, and I stand behind my build of FW (which has nothing to do with the validity of anyone else's build) but since I wrote one of the conversions in question:

Personal Immunity does precisely what I say it does, as GM & Arbiter in this case. "Here's a Force Wall that holds the door shut. You, caster, are personally immune to the effects of your own Force Wall. You done gone and ignored it. Congratz."

I don't see a big deal; it got paid for. At the end of the day, it's an appropriately purchased special effect. So... where does the argument come from?

DC is Difficulty Check -- the roll required on Total Skill + d20 to accomplish a given task.

So it's Difficulty instead of Damage. Taken with the original spell description it still means the same thing. The door or object itself is being physically protected. It's doing more than just making the lock better.

"a door or object secured with this spell can be opened only by breaking in or with a successful dispel magic or knock spell. Add 10 to the normal DC to break open a door or portal affected by this spell."