Mental Plane Battle

I've been playing with the idea to force a Pc to fight a mental battle out with some sort of Telepath-jedi guy, but I didn't want the battle to be just Ego rolls. the idea I had was that the mentalist and the PC would be on another battle map (oppose to the one the Pc's teammates would be on), and the two of them would duke it out.

the reason for this idea is that it would force a player who uses a brute to think outside the box. His str would instead be based on his presence, his dex on his Ego (to keep the ECV right), and so forth. His powers would be consolidated into a single variable power pool he can use to shape the mental plane (so he could use a slew of powers he hadn't gotten the chance to use) and to do special attacks, while the real battle occurs next to him.

In a nut shell, i would like your input on this. Instead of having a character held for an entire battle (where his ego would have no chance), this seems to be a good idea to keep that character interested and throws a unique challenge his way.

comments, suggestions?

Re: Mental Plane Battle

This is basically the way I used to run cyberpunk VR "combat" (i.e. net-running), and it works well. It's certainly a lot more interesting for the players than just saying "OK, make a SysOp roll.... fine, you penetrate the NSA database. Now what?"

This sounds like a perfect opportunity for EDM: Leaves Body Behind.

Basically mental atatcks would be done by forcing the opponent to the Mental Plane, which would mean that such attacks would be done as a EDM UAA (a 40 point power) with a side effect that you have to go too.

The character is then converted, by the inherent rules of the dimension, into a mental form, and the duking commences.

Experienced mental combattants could buy powers with a limtiation: only useable in the mental plane, to beef themselves up.

Be wary though: this could be a real campaign tone-setter, and the impact is likely to be very substantial.

aye, if I do use it, I plan for it to be used only once.

Where are the rules for transfering stats to the mental plane, if they already exist?

Dunno, but INT, EGO, PRE seem the prime candidates for conversion.

INT = DEX

EGO = CON and BODY

PRE = STR

That's how I'd probably do it.

I agree that there is a certain elegance in making EGO = DEX, but that just doesn;t make sense to me. To me, EGO is more about mental resilience, and PRE is more of the mental force, whilst INT seems a natural for mental dexterity. You may think otherwise.