[Review] Teen Champions

ghost-angel

Re: [Review] Teen Champions

Personally, I have yet to really see a purpose to the subgenre books. I mean, people that are interested in a subgenre sufficiently to run it are probably already sufficiently familiar with it and have source material in mind that they plan to emulate.

I would far rather see DoJ's resources put towards producing books that are more generally useful.

Maybe thats just me though.

Teen Champions runs into the problem that the other sub-genre books (Galatic Champions and DC:TAS) ran into really, they're far too short to actually cover the genre's completely.

The only way to do so in the shorter format (~128 pages) is to completely remove the character writeups, IMO at least.

I can't agree with this ... if the books were formatted differently, I think there'd be plenty of room for the various concepts behind Teen heroes.

Personally, I have yet to really see a purpose to the subgenre books. I mean, people that are interested in a subgenre sufficiently to run it are probably already sufficiently familiar with it and have source material in mind that they plan to emulate.

I would far rather see DoJ's resources put towards producing books that are more generally useful.

Maybe thats just me though.

No, I'm the same way. DC: TAS was a real disappointment to me until I realized that having run a number of "animated-style" campaigns over the past decade, my standards were too high and things that might be useful information to a newcomer to the gaming style were old-hat to me.

After that, my only disappointment was in thinking I'd needed it in the first place.

No, I'm the same way. DC: TAS was a real disappointment to me until I realized that having run a number of "animated-style" campaigns over the past decade, my standards were too high and things that might be useful information to a newcomer to the gaming style were old-hat to me.

After that, my only disappointment was in thinking I'd needed it in the first place.

I think you have hit the nail on the head. TC is pretty solid within a narrow scope. Which is what a sub-genre book is for. I didn't need most of the book, but Chapter One was great as a source of ideas and perspective. It gave me other ways of looking at issues in a Teen game. While I probably won't use the rest of the book directly, I still find it useful to spark ideas and view things form a different angle.

While I am a from supporter of complete adventure modules, I also don't expect genre and sub-genre books to be more that guides.

Am I disappointed that it aimed at the version of TC it did instead I my personal choice if Anime based TC. Yes. Is it the books fault? Not in my opinion.