Quick Hero intro sheet

Talon

Re: Quick Hero intro sheet

Originally posted by Geoff Speare

Does anyone have a "Hero System in a page" sheet that they hand out to new players? I'm playtesting my GenCon adventure for a bunch of people who have never played Hero and wanted to have something handy.

Not that I have one, you understand, but what details are you looking for? Here is my short list for a "Qwik-HERO".

Important Stats and their effects

(DEX, SPD, STR, CON, STUN, BODY)

OCV / DCV and attack rolls

(roll-low and roll-high variants)

Types of damage

PD and ED and the importance of resistant

Basic maneuvers: Dodge, Dive for Cover, maybe Haymaker

Skill rolls

What the stats are.

Resolution mechanism (3d6, roll low) for skills and for combat.

What the most commonly used rolls are and what they mean.

Basics of combat (to hit, damage, SPD).

I can do one myself, but I thought I'd start by seeing if anyone had one to work with, or had come up with particularly clever ways of conveying the information.

On the whole, very clear and concise. It gives the salient system points without an excess of details.

I'd be inclined to drop the "2 levels add damage" part of the CSL description, though; it's optional and really only used for heroic-level games. You seem to have designed this cheat sheet for all types of game, so IMHO that detail muddies the waters unnecessarily.

I'd also suggest describing Movement Rate in a separate line, with game scale and the amount of Movement characters start with.

I think I get the reason why you haven't listed any standard combat maneuvers: you want the players to describe what they do, then you'll roll the modifiers for the appropriate maneuver. What might be a bit confusing is that you capitalize some of the maneuver names in the text like Grab and Disarm, which makes them look like Game Mechanics rather than real-life actions that people would take; you also give the DCV modifier for a Dodge, but no other maneuver. It might be cleaner to either include the basic Combat Maneuvers, or to just refer to, for ex, a dodging action (lower case "d") without any modifiers.

Still much better than I would have come up with. :)