Indusharan destinations (Turakian Age)

BobGreenwade

I'm trying to assemble a large quest-adventure taking place in The Turakian Age, wherein the PCs would travel all around Ambrethel gathering advice from notables mages and religious figures, and collecting powerful magical items. (I'm not sure I'll actually do anything with it, but it's an interesting exercise nonetheless.) I have several potential locations to go to around Arduna, and a couple in the eastern half of Mitharia, but I'd like to try to find something in Indushara (the countries of Vendiya, Halore, and Malegyon).

The storyline I have so far starts the PCs in Vestria, where the King commissions a party to gather support against the rising threat of Kal-Turak. The party will go first to the Academy Velthune in Tretha on the way to consult with the Bonifact's staff in Ytheis, then make a stop in Aarn for news (and possibly to pick up new PCs from other lands with similar quests) before going on to Tatha Gorel to seek the advice of Scauromdrax. From there they'll be sent to seek counsel at Akanthe's Mouth in Arutha, from the ecclesiastical bodies in Halathaloorm, and then to D'ansif the Beautiful somewhere in Vashkor. She will interpret the advice from the preceding two sources, sending the PCs in search of the spell-book of Kristor the Immortal in Thrayshara. Supposedly, a spell in that book will show how to build a weapon that will destroy Kal-Turak.

Thus far, for components, I've come up with only a silver-laden sword hilt from a silversmith in Korem-Var. Any suggestions for further parts would be appreciated, but in particular I'd like a good excuse to send the PCs into Indushara.

Re: Indusharan destinations (Turakian Age)

I'm currently re-browsing TA for my reborn '5000 SE' game. I'll let you know if I hit on anything, Bob.

Maybe it's me being dense in the mid-afternoon but what exactly are you looking for? Actual items, plot seeds, contacts, references from TA itself? Forgive my density. It comes and goes, but mostly I have good days.

It might be good to slip in Silvertine from NKN somewhere...

The idea sounds intriguing. I always liked quests that involved travel, especially ship-borne travel, for some reason. Of course, you want to limit the fast and instant travel (ala flight and teleport) to get the maximum effect.

I don't have any suggestions, however, as I don't have TA with me and I'm not certain what you're looking for.

Well, if I were running something like that, given the "Indian subcontinent" feel/flavor of Indushara, I'd concoct a Fantasy/Turakian version of the Taj Mahal. Perhaps even one that's somewhat fallen into ruin, become infested with undead, or something like that.

It might be good to slip in Silvertine from NKN somewhere...

Well' date=' if I were running something like that, given the "Indian subcontinent" feel/flavor of Indushara, I'd concoct a Fantasy/Turakian version of the Taj Mahal. Perhaps even one that's somewhat fallen into ruin, become infested with undead, or something like that.[/quote']

The combination of these two thoughts is a good start.... To answer Labrat's questions, I'm actually looking for some specific item or material from that the PCs would have to travel to Indushara to collect, or possibly a person they'd need to consult, given what they learn from Kristor's tome.

Maybe there'll be something intererating along these lines in Enchanted Items.

I was just reading about Alarch Denbrose (NKN p115) and thought that I might point you in his direction (assuming you have NKN). I don't think Steve put in a 'base of operations' for him and he seems to be 'Indian-like' in his appearance, maybe he'd make a great master villian for the heroes if you based him in the Taj Mahal suggestion that Steve put forth. Add a nasty Mordak cult (i.e. the Shadow Priests of Khem in this instance) and other wicked groupies (slavers like the Red Talon guild?) and that would definately be one place I would want to send my PCs into!

...funny that I always made the Indusharan connection with India, probably the name itself inspires that 'feel'.

I was just reading about Alarch Denbrose (NKN p115) and thought that I might point you in his direction (assuming you have NKN). I don't think Steve put in a 'base of operations' for him and he seems to be 'Indian-like' in his appearance, maybe he'd make a great master villian for the heroes if you based him in the Taj Mahal suggestion that Steve put forth. Add a nasty Mordak cult (i.e. the Shadow Priests of Khem in this instance) and other wicked groupies (slavers like the Red Talon guild?) and that would definately be one place I would want to send my PCs into!

...funny that I always made the Indusharan connection with India, probably the name itself inspires that 'feel'.

Not only do I have NKN, I happen to have it packed with me at the moment.... I hadn't really considered Denbrose as an enemy in that region, since he's from Besruhan and is an enemy of the Golden Basilisks, both of which suggest he's in the southwestern parts of Arduna (the Basilisks' published tales tend toward that area), but of course that's highly variable.

All of this makes for a wonderful set of complications for the PCs to face (on top of the possibility of having to fight Serpent-Men, deal with the Empire of Orumbar, and get involved with Indusharan politics); I just need the goal that sends them there in the first place.

Not only do I have NKN, I happen to have it packed with me at the moment.... I hadn't really considered Denbrose as an enemy in that region, since he's from Besruhan and is an enemy of the Golden Basilisks, both of which suggest he's in the southwestern parts of Arduna (the Basilisks' published tales tend toward that area), but of course that's highly variable.

All of this makes for a wonderful set of complications for the PCs to face (on top of the possibility of having to fight Serpent-Men, deal with the Empire of Orumbar, and get involved with Indusharan politics); I just need the goal that sends them there in the first place.

How about a Key of Khem (listed with Dembrose)... maybe you can connect it to the spell-book of Kristor somehow. Or the Shadow-staff? Both would work well with the legend of Kal-Turak's demise by 'the sun and the moon' (sorry I have to paraphrase since I don't have TA with me...)

How about a Key of Khem (listed with Dembrose)... maybe you can connect it to the spell-book of Kristor somehow. Or the Shadow-staff? Both would work well with the legend of Kal-Turak's demise by 'the sun and the moon' (sorry I have to paraphrase since I don't have TA with me...)

Actually, that legend was for Kal-Turak's father, the Lord of the Graven Spear.

But you did give me an idea: the needed item is a lock of hair taken directly from the head of a Crown Princess. The only Crown Princess I know of (or, at least, the most prominent one) is the one in NKN (I went and left that book at home this time, so I don't recall her name or that of her country). The problem is, Dembrose kidnaped her and sold her into slavery via the Red League, and her new master is currently searching Steve's Taj Mahal-like ruin with her along for entertainment....

The final villain in this one, I think should be the Elven necromancer also in NKN. Given the number of dead bodies in that ruin, it should make for some very entertaining encounters. :D

Hm.... this sounds like it could be a stand-alone adventure of its own. Maybe I'll write it up for Digital Hero after I've exhausted my ideas for Star Hero (if that should ever happen).

Actually, that legend was for Kal-Turak's father, the Lord of the Graven Spear.

But you did give me an idea: the needed item is a lock of hair taken directly from the head of a Crown Princess. The only Crown Princess I know of (or, at least, the most prominent one) is the one in NKN (I went and left that book at home this time, so I don't recall her name or that of her country). The problem is, Dembrose kidnaped her and sold her into slavery via the Red League, and her new master is currently searching Steve's Taj Mahal-like ruin with her along for entertainment....

The final villain in this one, I think should be the Elven necromancer also in NKN. Given the number of dead bodies in that ruin, it should make for some very entertaining encounters. :D

Hm.... this sounds like it could be a stand-alone adventure of its own. Maybe I'll write it up for Digital Hero after I've exhausted my ideas for Star Hero (if that should ever happen).

I will buy my credits now to make sure I get that issue!

• 2 years later...

I apologise for the thread necromancy, but I've recently been studying The Turakian Age in detail, and find discussions of the setting interesting, especially if I feel I now have something to contribute (albeit obviously belatedly). :o

Since we're talking about developing a magic weapon to use against the Ravager of Men, and from the examples of your other quest destinations the acquisition of pertinent knowledge would be a valid reason for visiting a location, I suggest that your PCs could attempt to track down either the powerful mind-affecting spell by which Samaresh of Halore became the Diamond Lord of Indushara, or the counter-spell that the sorceror Algashar used to break it. Either one could be very useful against Kal-Turak, who appears to often use sorcery himself to stir up his followers or enemies.

I'm sure this is too late to be of practical benefit to you, but if this stayed on the level of a creative exercise it might still be of interest. ;)

I'm sure this is too late to be of practical benefit to you' date=' but if this stayed on the level of a creative exercise it might still be of interest. ;)[/quote']Actually I'd been thinking of writing something for publication in Haymaker (and possibly as a Free Stuff upload), so until it's well under way and published any suggestions can be helpful. :D

Okay, I have one.

The Ha-Haraj of Indushara was known as the "Diamond Lord;" the title could have been more than just symbolic. Let's say the Ha-Haraj wore a crown set with three great diamonds, one for each of the original Indusharan kingdoms. The diamonds possess powerful enchantments; they might even have been the foundation for the spell by which the Diamond Lord ruled Indushara. As part of the indemnity paid to Malegyon and Vendiya when Halore's treachery was discovered, its ruler broke up the crown and gave one diamond to each of the other kingdoms.

To create the weapon against Kal-Turak, your PCs must obtain one of these diamonds. It's up to you whether they can persuade an haraj to give it or lend it to them, or if they have to buy it or perform a service in exchange, or steal it. To make it truly difficult for them, they need all three diamonds.

For the other components of the weapon against Kal-Turak, I'm going to assume that the acquisition of each one will require a dangerous adventure-quest in itself. If that's the case, here's a list of possible scenarios, with invented details based on Turakian Age canon.

When the Lord of the Graven Spear seduced the Dwarves of Ghasharth to worship of the Scarlet Gods, they destroyed all the symbols of their previous faith. However, one icon to the Blue Gods proved too powerful to destroy, so they locked it away in a closely-guarded vault deep within the halls of Ghasharth.

The seal-ring of the Ilurian emperor is reputed to have powers comparable to that of the legendary ring of Solomon. It was lost somewhere in the haunted ruins of Iluria after the city was sacked. For an even nastier alternative, the ring could have been seized by the Drakine king Banako when he slew Emperor Vartan during the Drakine Wars, and carried back to his realm of Korlothia. That would require the PCs to wade through the Haunted Lands to get to the destroyed city of Korloth.

When the Elves migrated from Elvenholme to Shularahaleen, they brought with them a mighty magic bow which can hurl the lightning of the god Hornbrek. Doubtlessly the Shularahaleen Elves would be unwilling to part with it, but perhaps it would be enough for the weapon to be "charged" with Hornbrek's power. Of course given their attitudes, just getting into the Shadowwoods to ask them to use the bow won't be easy.

When the Seven Sorcerors of Vuran levelled Vuran's capital city of Vhoth-Tarin, they were unable to cast down the gates of the city. The keystone of the gates is imbued with great magic making them immovable and indestructible. The PCs have learned a spell to free the keystone so they can take it from the gates, but using it will alert the Seven Sorcerors to their presence.

Focussing the power of the weapon requires a sacred gemstone from the Lapis Throne of the Sirrenic emperor. The Emperor is willing to lend the gem to the heroes since Turakia worries him greatly, but to prove their quality they must recover an heirloom of his house taken by the Vashkorans during the last war between the two powers, and kept on display in the Vashkoran border city of Axairion (or for a greater challenge, Marasa itself).

To forge the pieces of the weapon into a whole, the heroes will need a potent enchanted hammer fashioned by the Trolls. The hammer was seized by the Khirkovians during the Troll Wars, and kept in the city of Narkosk. Unfortunately it was stolen by the dragon Balakarven Blacksmoke when he attacked the city, and is now in his hoard at the heart of the perilous Black Forest.

On another front, rather than a sword hilt from Korem-Var, may I suggest a set of silver manacles, enchanted to restrain any creature, no matter how powerful. It's the greatest creation and prized treasure of the royal torturers of the Malachite Tower.

If this is the sort of thing you're looking for, or if you have something different in mind, I'll see if I can come up with anything else. :)

• 1 month later...

Here are a few more suggestions based on bits of TA lore:

The PCs learn the location of a powerful wand of elemental fire, long lost by the Gnomes of the Mnoos Forest in Umbr. If the Gnomes find out they'll never allow the PCs to take the wand; and if the Gnomes have found some of the other mighty magic items their ancestors created, the PCs will have a dangerous fight on their hands. To complicate matters, if the king of Umbr is told of this he'll want the Gnomes' hoard for the security of his kingdom.

The heroes need the greatest of the holy relics in the Grand Cathedral of Capell in Brabantia, bones said to be the hand of Esaile Kiruin. They'll have to convince the archoth of Brabantia of both their need and their righteousness before he'll voluntarily release the bones to them. But the spider demons who sought to destroy the relics centuries ago have been watching and waiting for the hand to be removed from the protected confines of the cathedral, to attack and destroy it and Capell.

Through underworld contacts the PCs learn that a very valuable item is being auctioned off at the pirate island stronghold of Aresca: a flawless yubha gem the size of a man's fist, smuggled out of Thun. The gem will greatly assist in enchanting their weapon. The heroes will have to gain access to the auction in Aresca Town, and either buy or steal the gem from the pirates. But the Thunese sorceror-priests have also heard of the auction, and send operatives to take their sacred gem back.

• 1 month later...

Couple more of these came to me recently, so I'll just pass them along:

The leaves of the miraculous Stone Tree of Thurgandia turn red and yellow and fall each autumn, like those of normal trees, and are gathered by Druids as good luck talismans. However, the green, living leaves of the Tree possess far greater magical virtues; but those leaves don't fall naturally. The PCs require a sheaf of green "leafstone" for their weapon against Kal-Turak, but the Druids who guard the sacred Tree won't take kindly to anyone trying to pluck them from its branches.

At the uttermost north of the world, where the cthonian heat of lava flows from Mt. Vadithoomb meets the abyssal cold of the Endless Ice, a small lake has formed whose waters are infused with the elemental power of both Fire and Ice. That water will temper the heroes' completed weapon like none other... if they dare try to slip into Kal-Turak's back yard to find it.

For occult consultation, you might consider the reclusive Dorethani Wizards. Since they require supplicants to pass tests and trials before gaining access to them and their knowledge, the adventure potential is pretty much built in. The renowned Elven wizard Calariastarianath of Elvenholme seems to have similar requirements.

• 2 weeks later...

It occurred to me that trying to consult the necromancers of the Black Guild could also make for an interesting adventure, considering the fact that they keep their precise location secret from most people due to their unsavory (though largely undeserved) reputation. Suspicious misunderstandings could easily arise among the general public over PCs asking about the Guild, or among Guild members as to why the heroes are seeking them out.

I decided to (finally) Subscribe to this thread (I should have from the start; don't know why I didn't). The ideas here are just too good, and I'll probably want to write them up at some point after all -- especially if something like Digital Hero or EZ Hero ever resurfaces.

Because ideas continue to come to me, and since no one has told me to shut up yet :P , I figure I might as well keep posting them.

One of the most accomplished fabricators of enchanted weapons was the wizard Vulthar Zond, founder of the kingdom of Thalera-Saar; and his spells and designs were further refined by his successor Vhorlac Thaar, who combined and reforged Vulthar Zond's artifacts into Korrm, the dreaded Sword of Fangs. Consulting the records of these kings of Thalera-Saar is crucial to the PCs assembling the components of their weapon. But will Ulyu Thaar, the current king of Thalera-Saar, permit the heroes to view his dynasty's greatest secrets? And even if he does, will the Palehanded King allow the secret of the PCs' own mighty weapon to leave his kingdom?

Iron from a "fallen star" is known to possess great magical properties, and the largest known source of it is in Wizard's Vale in Tornathia. The PCs petition the council of wizards who regulate disposition of the Vale's resources for some of their star-iron for their weapon. But while the wizards consider the heroes' request, an evil spellcaster whose own petition was rejected, steals some of the metal and frames the PCs for the theft. The heroes must escape the angry wizards and track down the true thief to prove their innocence.