Entangles?

John Roberts

I'm still trying to design my hero swallowing villain "The Haggis".

We've decided that the Entangle is the best way to go. But I'm befuddled on the exact tech right up and AP/RP costs

Let me break down what has been figured so far, or what I'm wanting

I figure the entangle should be 6d6 at least. Not sure if I should up the DEF a little to show a strong constitution.

Breaking free of the entangles has to do body or stun to the user. Though once they actually break free he just upchicks them.. there will be no breaking through the stomach.

Would this be a No Range lim on it...since it's his stomach

I also thought of a "Grab first" lim too since he'd have to grab them then swallow them

Also his stomach I figure would be at least sight blocking, and isn't a barrier. However it moves where Haggis moves so what woud that be.

Basically what I'm trying to do is have my little beastie villain run around eating things.. and when he faces heroes he swallows them, a entangle gives them a chance to escape while not restricting him. His stomach is like bottomless pit, in that he can swallow endless amounts of thigns without ever filling it.

Anyway thanks for the help

I would build this as an EDM "My Belly" UAA with the fX sayingthe characters may return to normal buy "Breaking Free" witch would be done by a contested STR Body roll. Then you could buy STR with a -3/4 limitation only for holding people in by belly.

The reason I don't believe that escape by contested str roll would be worth points is because all UAA must have a reasonably common way to avoid them and as a GM I think I would allow this one for at least a test run.

Ohhhkayyy...I'll take a run at it!

"Swallowing whole" isn't a concept I've seen a lot in Hero. I'm not certain Entangle is the way to go. The "breaks the entangle" thing would seem a bit painful.

What about a Grab? You could then have other powers that only work on a Grabbed target (such as Darkness so he can't see out - bit kludgy but it works).

PROBLEM: Are your hands now full? SOLUTION: Extra Limbs (perhaps inherent) which can only be used to hold an already Grabbed target. Make them fully Invisible. [i realize he has no actual "limbs", but doesn't the Beast have extra limbs in that his feet can be used as effectively as his hands?]

It's an unusual concept, so you probably have to do some creative rules interpretations, but it should work. You mentiooned "villain", so I assume you don't have to clear this with the GM anyway. [As a GM, I'd be less concerned with the ability itself than with its consistency with the genre. And that really depends on the character itself more than the fact it swallows opponents whole.]

A second way of doing things would be

Cost Power END
41 GET IN MY BELLY: Entangle 6d6, 6 DEF (Stops A Given Sense Group: Sight Group, Stops A Given Sense: Normal Touch), Movable area (+1/2) (112 Active Points); Feed Back: Refer to Force Wall (-1), No Range (-1/2), Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4) 11
Powers Cost: 41

I asked something similar a while back (sorry, can't find the thread), regarding somebody with a malleable body who can "hold" things inside himself.

The consensus was similar to what Hugh Neilson said. "Extra Limbs" combined with 0-END Persistent STR, Grab Only. Since I was talking about "holding" small things, we didn't get into the whole Blocks Sight thing, but Darkness, 1-hex Accurate, No Range seems as good as any other construct. Then again, you could just say that the "Extra Limbs" of his stomach block sight as well as a Grab over the eyes.

The Entangle is simpler, so you could go with that and call it a taste issue. (Sorry, couldn't resist the pun.)

Or you could use one of the great Champions catch-all powers: Extra-Dimensional Movement, UAA: Transport other "Into My Belly". :)

A bit costly, but it nicely solves a lot of problems. No need to add Darkness Linked To Grab; just define the 'dimension' as having no natural light sources. So on and so forth.

Idea works

Originally posted by Ndreare

A second way of doing things would be

Cost Power END
41 GET IN MY BELLY: Entangle 6d6, 6 DEF (Stops A Given Sense Group: Sight Group, Stops A Given Sense: Normal Touch), Movable area (+1/2) (112 Active Points); Feed Back: Refer to Force Wall (-1), No Range (-1/2), Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4) 11
Powers Cost: 41

So far this idea works the most.. I appreciate the setup. Honestly this "Simple" idea seemed to freeze my brain. The extra limb, xdm movemtn were mentioned on the mush I'm on but it honestly didn't work. Beyond me "creating a power", which I'm hestiant to do, it was a sticky problem.