Drain variable stat power

Tech

Maybe this is covered in a different thread somewhere or perhaps even covered already in the hard cover. If so, point it out and I'll be happy. I'm tired so I can't think right now. At any rate, on to the power..

I'm thinking of a Drain power which drains a random Stat (except Com) every time it hits. The attacker has no idea or choice of what will be drained. For example purposes, I'll say 1d6 Drain though I may make it more depending on the cost.

Suggestions?

Re: Drain variable stat power

I'd use the Variable Effect +1/4 advantage to allow draining from any characteristic one at a time. Random effect. . . would be at least a -1/2 limitation.

I agree with the Variable Effect, but I don't like the idea that the ultimate power costs less than the original structure. For example, I don't think 3d6 should cost 30 x 1.25 / 1.5 = 25 points.

I would apply a higher limitation (say -1 as NCC-effects only) on the advantage only. Thus, the cost of 3d6 is 30 + [30 x 1/2 / 2 =] 7 = 37 points.

I agree with the Variable Effect, but I don't like the idea that the ultimate power costs less than the original structure. For example, I don't think 3d6 should cost 30 x 1.25 / 1.5 = 25 points.

I would apply a higher limitation (say -1 as NCC-effects only) on the advantage only. Thus, the cost of 3d6 is 30 + [30 x 1/2 / 2 =] 7 = 37 points.

Doing it that way effectively makes "random" a -0 limitation. Personally I'd go with offsetting advantages and limitations: +1/4 for variable effect and -1/4 for random characteristic.

To me, random should be at least a -1/4, since the power is eventually going to randomly Drain a stat that has little measurable effect on the target (Ego Drain when noone has an Ego attack to capitalize on the new, "softened" target, etc.)

You also can't pick an attrubite that is probably a weak point for a specific target and Drain that, so no INT drain against SuperBrick or STR drain against EgoLad to hopefully incapacitate them.

If the attacker (Professor I Cast Random Drains at Bad Guys) dosen't know which attribute has been drained other than through observing the effects, I'd say it's worth a bigger penalty. (If you Drain 3D6 STR from UltraBrick, you may not even notice the difference. In this case, you can't adjust your tactics to capitalize on his reduced ability)

This is unusual for me to ask this but MitchellS and Metaphysician both suggest a +1/4 for the Variable Stat. Is that too low since any of the 14 stats, minus COM could be hit? I've seen from some write-ups that the limitation 'Random' is a -3/4 limitation but I could be mistaken. Is the Random limit on the entire power or just the +1/4 (I'm guessing the later).

Having 13 choices of characteristics is fairly broad but certainly not as broad as having 13 choices of characteristics, dozens of choices of skills, dozens of choices of talents and perks, and dozens of choices of power. That's why I went with the +1/4 variable effect.

The limitation value is really subjective but it does belong on the power as a whole rather then on the variable effect advantage because you are limiting the power rather then the advantage. I went with the -1/4 because it offsets the variable effect and because many of the characteristics you drain can have serious consequences. When you get right down to it only losing comeliness has no in combat effect.

The thing is, thats all those things, if they fit a specific SFX. So on any given character, you're likely to only be able to drain a handful of things, likely including few if any Characteristics. Even if your Drain is something broad, say, Versus Metagenetics, using the Champions as examples. . .

Ironclad, you could hit his Strength and Constitution, plus his Armor, Lack of Weaknesses, and maybe Leaping and STR/CON linked secondary characteristics, and thats it.

Sapphire, you could zap either of her multipowers, her Flight, or her Force Field, and thats about it.

And the rest of the Champions, you couldn't drain anything from them at all.

Thats what you get for +1/4. Whereas for this character, you could Drain vs thirteen things, on *any* character at all. I think its worth the +1/2.

I think this is the way to go. -1 Level of NCC on a naked Variable Effect advantage.

The thing is' date=' thats all those things, [i']if they fit a specific SFX[/i]. So on any given character, you're likely to only be able to drain a handful of things, likely including few if any Characteristics. Even if your Drain is something broad, say, Versus Metagenetics, using the Champions as examples. . .

I think what we're missing in this power build question is what the sfx/justification of this power concept.

Ironclad, you could hit his Strength and Constitution, plus his Armor, Lack of Weaknesses, and maybe Leaping and STR/CON linked secondary characteristics, and thats it.

Sapphire, you could zap either of her multipowers, her Flight, or her Force Field, and thats about it.

And the rest of the Champions, you couldn't drain anything from them at all.

With vs. Magnetics, yes, but if the drain were viral or something you could arguably hit any characteristic you wanted to. (Or justify the power build anyhow).

Thats what you get for +1/4. Whereas for this character' date=' you could Drain vs thirteen things, on *any* character at all. I think its worth the +1/2.[/quote']

This power is only useable against *any* character at all because the SFX haven't been specified yet, so there's no guideline on what it will and will not work against. (i.e. the power defense SFX have not been defined)

I see where you're coming from, but this line of reasoning is only 100% vaild until you actually make this idea into a power, then it'll have inherent SFX limitations just like every other power. I think the cost has to be determined by the conceptual mechanics, not the SFX (or lack thereof).