Density Control Question

shafti76

I have a player who wants to have the power to affect the density of inanimate objects, the example he gave was he could throw a small rock and then increase its density to do damage or increase a persons weight to make them unable to move. I am looking for possible ways to do this while i look for my rulebook. Your suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Re: Density Control Question

As suggested' date=' Energy Blast with Range Based on STR sounds good for the first power. I like STR Drain better than Entangle for the for the second power as imho the effects should linger longer than simply "breaking out" of the Entangle.[/quote']

The problem with a Drain vs. STR is that it would not stop a character from flight. Entangle, possibly with the Sticky Advantage, keeps the character from moving until the Entangle is broken. If you want more lingering time then a TK Grab is in order. The breakout mechanic is the same in both cases which is more consistent imo.

I have a player who wants to have the power to affect the density of inanimate objects, the example he gave was he could throw a small rock and then increase its density to do damage or increase a persons weight to make them unable to move. I am looking for possible ways to do this while i look for my rulebook. Your suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Since nobody has mentioned this yet, Until Superpowers Database has a section on Density Alteration. That could provide other suggestions.

For holding the person down, an Entangle, Takes No Damage, has already been suggested. Another option from USPDB (slightly modified) is Telekinesis, with a Limited Power of only to make the target heavier or only to pull them straight down to the ground.

As already noted, the attack is simply a special effect of an EB, with appropriate modifiers.

Gemphyre

The problem with a Drain vs. STR is that it would not stop a character from flight. Entangle' date=' possibly with the Sticky Advantage, keeps the character from moving until the Entangle is broken. If you want more lingering time then a TK Grab is in order. The breakout mechanic is the same in both cases which is more consistent imo.[/quote']

Neither does Entangle if the target is already Flying, which makes no sense for these SFX. 5ER pg. 26 provides rules for how negative STR effects movement (including some types of flight) and DCV. A couple applications (two rolls will max out a Drain on avg.) of the power should send most characters without Power Def into the negatives. A Suppress will do it even faster.

Neither does Entangle if the target is already Flying' date=' which makes no sense for these SFX. 5ER pg. 26 provides rules for how negative STR effects movement (including some types of flight) and DCV. A couple applications (two rolls will max out a Drain on avg.) of the power should send most characters without Power Def into the negatives. A Suppress will do it even faster.[/quote']

There are not a lot of rules on the weight/mass of Entangles since it boils down to a sfx interpretation but I see no problem in defining the mass of an entangle built for this purpose to be a significant hinderance even for characters with non-strength based flight. A character whose flight is non-STR based will not be stopped from flying by a STR Drain.

I know its an expensive power' date=' but why not make it an entangle linked to a drain to all movement powers. That way you can use it to stop a character from flying.[/quote']

That works fine if the character in question is an npc villain where points are not as big a concern. But what if a player wants his pc hero to have this ability. A combo entangle + drain is going to be rather weak on both effects if there is any type of point cap in the game in question.

That works fine if the character in question is an npc villain where points are not as big a concern. But what if a player wants his pc hero to have this ability. A combo entangle + drain is going to be rather weak on both effects if there is any type of point cap in the game in question.

true.

Another similar suggestion (I don't have my book on me at the moment so I don't know how expensive it would be) would be a drain or suppress to STR and DEX or STR and movement powers. The thing is, depending on the SFX of the character's flight (say gravity or magnetic manipulation or magic) weighing 10,000,000,000 pounds may not actually have any effect on the power. Although it would prevent the character from moving in other ways.

On second thought, why not make it a transform: person to 10,000,000,000 pound person?