Help with this Armor...

GradonSilverton

I'm with GradonSilverton on this one. I am quite happy to do a 50d6 Dispel - that's kind of obscene, but fits within the game universe.

Staying within the game universe not only makes things happier for the players - they understand how the universe works - but it also makes things easier for the GM.

So yes, it is possible to blast an attack through the magical armour of negation, though it would take an archmage to do so (average of 175 active points!) But the GM gets to play with all the concepts that such a device creates.

Who could have made such a thing? Why? Where did they get all those active points from? Do they have new way of making magic items or a source of mana no-one ever thought of before?

If you just say "It negates magic. Why? Because I want it to. How? Who knows?" then you lose all of that.

As a GM, I appropriate the right to use as many points as I feel necessary, but I always stick to the same rules my players have to use - and I let them know that. It encourages them to use their brains when they find something they don't understand, instead of assuming "it's just like that".

OK, sorry, rant over ;-)

cheers, Mark

Originally posted by Markdoc

(some stuff snipped)

If you just say "It negates magic. Why? Because I want it to. How? Who knows?" then you lose all of that.

As a GM, I appropriate the right to use as many points as I feel necessary, but I always stick to the same rules my players have to use - and I let them know that. It encourages them to use their brains when they find something they don't understand, instead of assuming "it's just like that".

OK, sorry, rant over ;-)

cheers, Mark

Well, the key to doing something "because I want it to" is to not let the players KNOW that's what you're doing. If they know that you didn't really build the power/item/effect, then they will fell cheated. And rightly so. It's easy to abuse, and you're right in "condemning" using it gratuitously.

Also, I'm not suggesting it for just any item (or spell). I only think it's appropriate for things that are, more or less, plot devices. I would never advocate this "method" for something that's common or could be around for any real length of time (that will only end up causing MANY more problems than working out the points ever could).

And I think you need to have some idea of how it works. I just don't think you need to stat it out completely down to the last point... A general idea of what powers it involves (and their approximate strength) so you can describe it when they try their analyze magic skill.

Another advantage to NOT fully stating something that powerful is that it leaves you an out if the players come up with something really clever that you'd actually like to have work...but won't based on how you've built it.

One of the things that makes the Hero System my all-time favorite is the amount of flexibility it offers; there are an almost infinite number of ways the same effect can be built (sorry if that borders on the hyperbolic). I think, though, that sometimes those of us who love the game (myself included) can get just a bit too bogged down in points and mechanics and lose sight of the intent.

Originally posted by GradonSilverton

Since I can invoke the Evil GM Clause, I have come up with this....

Cost Power END
167 Armor: Dispel 50d6: Magic (Standard Effect Rule (3 Auto Per Die)), Inherent (+1/4), Area Of Effect (One Hex; +1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Expanded Effect (All Powers Simultaneously; +2) (712 Active Points); Independent (-2), OIF (-1/2), Always On (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4)
Powers Cost: 167

....Thats dang expensive, but that Dispells a 150 Active Point Attack..... I wish there was another way to pull this off....I can still imagine a power over that and dont want to just "Make the Magic attack unsuccessful....."

Depends on what you want to happen IF something gets through. 160 pt RKA will totally ash the wearer with the Dispelling Armor. The Suppression Armor will make the target of a 160 pt RKA go "ouch"

What I'm leaning toward (as much as I dislike it) is building the Armor as shown above and keeping the Dice amount...uh, Well...."Variable." I currently dont have enought creation done on the world to know if a 150 Point Magic Attack will exist...so, IF it does come up...then Mr Armor with become capable of handeling 200 point attacks.....Unless anyone else has a system mechanic to fix the situation.... the Armor is uintended to be completely reistant to magic....this is the nature of the power and the reason why the wizards are so against it getting out...and why they cant understand it...and why they want to know WHO made it, etc.

Would YOU as a player be highly PISSED at a GM for doing that? Understanding that a system mechanic cannot be found?

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Markdoc

I'd be pissed at a GM for just saying "it works". Well, to be honest, disappointed rather than pissed.

But if you just upgrade it to more active points, then hey, that's fine. Just don't tell them :-)

I agree, just because they have it in their grubby little hands doesn't mean they have the on-paper numbers for it.