Teleport Dive for Cover?

Blue

Hi Guys,

I'm working on a character whose primary (and pretty much only) power is teleportation. She works as a courier and messenger because of her ability to get around in the blink of an eye.

That got me to thinking about her usefulness in combat, specifically as a defensive person, t-porting people out of danger just before impact.

If she has first action, I imagine she could hold action until the incoming attack, then try to interrupt. According to the book this is resolved by DEX rolls to see who gets their move in first. Harsh way to live. What's more, I wanted her to grab somebody AND teleport... two half-actions.

This sounds fairly reasonable to me, though I might want some fastdraw or levels just for winning the DEX roll off.

Now the other issue has to do with the other guy being faster. FREd says that you can abort to a defensive action. It includes using the "Dive for Cover" action to defend someone who is in iminent danger. My question would be: Is it reasonable to allow her to dive-for-cover and teleport the person out? It's a great special effect, but it sounds abusive. Like maybe 3 half-actions, and therefor not possible.

My alternative is to buy teleport, usable as an attack (1-hex area, No Range), make a to-hit on the hex each time, and teleport the person out of harm, though strictly speaking that would mean she wouldn't be going with the target.

Any ideas on how to simulate saving someone by grabbing them and teleporting out of harm's way as an "aborted" action?

My GM would never allow us to do that. He would allow us to maybe get the other person to safety (and hence getting clobbered ourselves) or get our own tushies safely away. Now if you had some sort of soft explosion that did extra knock back and maybe not much damage, you could knock everyone away (including yourself if you don't buy immunity to it) but that would be an attack. I think there are some skills or talents that can make you move first, no matter what your dex is but since I'm sans book right now, I can't tell you what that is. In any case I think you would have to use something that was an area effect or usable by others to attempt to teleport peeps away which I think would at least elimnate the grab part.

Originally posted by umbra

My GM would never allow us to do that. He would allow us to maybe get the other person to safety (and hence getting clobbered ourselves) or get our own tushies safely away. Now if you had some sort of soft explosion that did extra knock back and maybe not much damage, you could knock everyone away (including yourself if you don't buy immunity to it) but that would be an attack. I think there are some skills or talents that can make you move first, no matter what your dex is but since I'm sans book right now, I can't tell you what that is. In any case I think you would have to use something that was an area effect or usable by others to attempt to teleport peeps away which I think would at least elimnate the grab part.

Good point. The Dive-for-Cover "Into Harm" variant really accounts for you taking a beating. On that alone I should forget about it.

Since Dive for Cover is reflexive, I would only let you use it with another person if a) they were willing and B) you had a hand on that person (or otherwise prepared to teleport them). If you were standing next to 6 team members, I wouldn't let you choose which one to move.

Note that Dive for Cover requires a DEX roll of it's own, so you're not that much better off than just holding and trying a normal DEX vs. DEX roll.

It's getting into the pricy range. This would be the short-range combat teleport (Part of an EC group).

Teleportation, A few levels of Extra Mass (to teleport several or large people who are in range), Usable as an attack (+1), Area Effect: Hex (+1/2), Double Area Effect to 2 Hexes(+1/4), EDIT: Forgot, it's automatically NO RANGE, so no mod for that.

It's NOT cost efficient, because for another +1/4 I could teleport a larger area, but it's more fitting to the character/special effects that she's only impacting her own hex and the next one. I'll likley toss in an activation or possibly a side effect to bring down the cost.

Now, I think that if an attack is launched at her hex and she acts defensively to teleport out, she technically could take the guy in the next hex. But I don't think it would count the other way around (If he were being attacked and she wanted to save him). Perhaps I'll run this by steve after I hear some more input.

I think Area of Effect (Radius) usable as an attack teleport is the way to go here. Purchased with Selective of course :)

Essentially the SFX is that if the character is "within range" (i.e. falls within the AE radius) you can teleport to them, grab them and teleport out.

This kind of teleport wouldn't need more than the minimum amount of movement (10") and doesn't need a non-combat multiplier (making it cheaper) since you will normally only use it to teleport away from localized dangers.

Originally posted by NuSoardGraphite

I think Area of Effect (Radius) usable as an attack teleport is the way to go here. Purchased with Selective of course :)

Essentially the SFX is that if the character is "within range" (i.e. falls within the AE radius) you can teleport to them, grab them and teleport out.

This kind of teleport wouldn't need more than the minimum amount of movement (10") and doesn't need a non-combat multiplier (making it cheaper) since you will normally only use it to teleport away from localized dangers.

Hey! I like the selective thing + Special effect. Good idea.

Actually, this works perfectly! Thank you all!

Teleport (10"), 8x Mass (Maybe 16x), Area affect (Radius) Selective, Usable as attack. Special effect: Character pops from location to location within the radius, collecting targets (Making individual attack rolls on them) and then takes all those she managed to grab and 'ports them to a location 10" away, reassembling them in the same formation.

The extra required attack rolls actually make sense for this. She's plotted her course and tries to carry it out. If she misses someone then they get left behind but she must complete her teleport pattern regardless.

That's a keeper. Thanks again.

+X CSLs w/Grab-By

Y" Teleportation; x2 Mass, AutoFire 2

I know, the hairs on the back of folks necks are rising, but when you get right down to it that's what the character is actually doing.

:D

As it's Autofire I think the character now has to make targeting rolls to hit the hexes they want to teleport to.

If you're just using your Teleportation as the SFX when diving for cover, but worry that a successfull dive for cover roll won't take you far enough out of the way (compared to if you'd actually been able to use Teleport), buy some extra levels for Acrobatics with the limitation "do not add to Acrobatics roll - only increase distance traveled while diving for cover".