[Character] Powderkeg

Killer Shrike

Re: [Character] Powderkeg

Cool character, reminds me of a less upbeat version of Dumb Bunny mixed with a more limited Flex Mentallo. Especially liked the Powderkeg Effect, and good use of SPD and poor tactics to limit her vs the PCs while still keeping her useful.

Was using the 13 DEX + levels rather than going to 14 was intended to further limit her compared to PCs?

For comedy effect, her 5 INT but perfectly respectable knowledge of supplements offers a chance for an entertaining scene now and then. ;)

Was using the 13 DEX + levels rather than going to 14 was intended to further limit her compared to PCs?

Yep. When the PC's advance a bit Ill throw another 10 to 15 points on her, and left a couple places like that where a few points will make a big difference.

For comedy effect, her 5 INT but perfectly respectable knowledge of supplements offers a chance for an entertaining scene now and then. ;)

Yeah; I actually know a person basically like that who you wouldn't trust to tie her own shoes, but has reasonable knowledge of a couple of topics.

And, I don't know if you noticed it or not, but your old pal Trainer Dan is in there. ;)

Not The Blonde Bomber or Blonde Bomb Shell?

Actually...on the original "paper napkin" style premise, she was called Bombshell, but I figured it was too obvious for one, and better reserved for another character that fit the name a little better for another. Powderkeg fit the character better for me on several levels.

In the original concept she was a brick that started off really strong, but her strength was depleted with each use. However when I started to stat that out it turned into a massive pain in the rear and the effect just wasnt worth the mechanical complexity.

I wanted these second stringer characters to be flawed, but not arbitrarily so.

Thus I scrapped that idea and approached it from the perspective of a character that is basically ok, but subpar in key areas and with some "inefficient" or "off beat" signature abilities as point sinks to detract from their competitiveness within a single archetype.

So, Powderkeg is basically strong and tough and serviceable as a brick, but a PC brick is almost certainly better than she is on a number of levels. Her "signature" explosion ability eats some points, is difficult to use, and tires her out a good bit so it's basically forced to be edge case. Every now and then the character will get a chance to use it and people will think...huh, maybe she's better than we thought. But its not sustainable so in the end you've got a flukey brick.

The low intelligence aspect of the character is the "color" or "spin" on the character and further contributes to her being disregarded.

In the end, players are supposed to disregard or write off the character as being kind of a joke, but she can dish some respectable damage with her STR + HA and if a good opportunity comes up to use her explosion she can swing an entire combat, making her a wild card.

Anyway, that was the thought process behind her...make her good enough to be useful, bad enough to be discounted, and surprising enough to occasionally pull off something impressive.

Just clarifying, not that either question matters much to the build or play:

1) The explosion doesn't have personal immunity (with 35 DEF, 50 CON and 10" KBR, not like it could matter much compared to the END cost)?

2) I'm hazy on the END cost of increased END. I thought the formula was (5xAP)/10, not (AP/10)x5? (ie 5x105=525, 525/10=52 vs 105/10=10, 10x5=50.)

Great build, btw. (Play on words barely intended.)

Thanks.

It deliberately does not have PI.

Increased END is the amount of END x a multiple. 50 is the correct amount.

Also, not that it matters, but KB wouldn't be an issue for her on a 0 Range explosion. The force exerted would be the same from all sides, so the most it could do (in my estimation) would be to cause her to fall down in her own hex.

I like her. The build is interesting and and the character overall seems to work well. The background really makes me feel sympathetic for her but I have a soft spot for people that get picked on for lacking intelligence but are otherwise likeable sorts. Given her background it says a bit about her character that she didn't become a Bulldozer/Ogre like villainess. She seems like the type that would have auditioned in my Capes! PBEM.

I agree that with the sfx of her explosion that Knockback wouldn't be an issue.