Battletech to Robot Warriors

Chris Goodwin

Battletech to Robot Warriors conversions

Introduction:

The idea with this is to (a) give a consistent method for converting Battletech weapons and mechs into Hero System by way of Robot Warriors, and (B) hopefully spark ideas for modifying your Battletech mechs with some new ideas.

I got the idea for this document today at work. It hit me all at once that Battletech bases everything on weight, and Robot Warriors uses mass, and I can use this as a way of converting....

This is quick and dirty, poorly edited, uses my idiosyncratic phrasing and conversational tone, and was composed on way too little sleep. I'm not responsible for any problems you suffer from this as a result, including headaches, nausea, weight loss, hair loss, or brain damage. You Have Been Warned. I have done some edits on this post since I originally posted it.

You'll need Robot Warriors to make full use of this stuff. It's available on PDF from the Hero Games online store. I've tried to give some "Here's how to do it in Hero System" if you don't have Robot Warriors (and why don't you?) but don't expect a lot.

Comments requested and gladly accepted.

Convert the Tonnage:

Every time I say "convert the tonnage to Mass Units," do it this way.

The process for converting the tonnage to Mass Units works as follows:

1. Multiply the item's weight in tons by 10 to get the basic Mass Units.

2. Round this down to the nearest "Hero System doubling" to determine how many Mass Units a component is. (Note: This uses Robot Warriors Mass Units, which are 100 kilograms apiece. The math in this document, and the whole notion of Mass Units, are predicated on the use of Hero System doublings; if you use real world doublings, you'll end up with different numbers.)

Note that because you round down when converting, your converted mech should have quite a bit of capacity left over.

Systems:

DEX and SPD:

You're on your own there. It's been long enough since I've played Battletech that I have no idea how you'd go about coming up with those values. I figure if you're an experienced Battletech player you probably have a feel for what to assign.

Heat and Damage Control:

As, at the moment, heat is represented by a Susceptibility, Damage Control plus Spare Parts are used to represent heat sinks. If you're playing Battletech Hero, you'll want to bring the heat rules with you in some way.

Mass:

Determine the mech's total Mass Units. Buy it this many Mass Units with Construction Points. The smallest mechs (10-15 tons) are Size Class 3; the largest (100 tons) are Size Class 4. The following table breaks out how many Construction Points a mech of a given tonnage has (this is converted directly using the table in Robot Warriors page 19.)

Robot Warriors	Robot Warriors			Hero System
Tonnage		Mass Units	CP Cost		Size Class	BODY	STR	Vehicle Cost

10		100		86		3		16	40	30
15		150		110		3		17	45	35
20		200		130		3		17	45	35
25		250		150		4		18	50	40
30		300		160		4		"
35		350		170		4		"
40		400		180		4		"
45		450		190		4		"
50		500		200		4		19	55	45
55		550		205		4		"
60		600		210		4		"
65		650		215		4		"
70		700		220		4		"
75		750		225		4		"
80		800		230		4		"
85		850		235		4		"
90		900		240		4		"
95		950		245		4		"
100		1000		250		4		20	60	50

Robot Warriors CP Cost is Construction Points; don't use this for Hero System.

Assume all weapons are built to Scale 4 (Robot Warriors) for weapon range and area.

Other Systems:

Again, you're on your own. Give it what fits. A LAM (Land-Air Mech), if I'm remembering correctly (essentially, a transformer) has Transform (Multiform).

Hardware:

Chassis and Power Plant:

Make it big enough for the mech's mass.

If you really want to, you can add up the mech's Internal Structure and Engine tonnage and assign this amount (in Mass Units, unconverted) to the RW robot's Chassis and Power Plant and Ground Movement, but that might be a little much.

Use the modified Hero System BODY values rather than the original RW values. (In other words, regardless of what Robot Warriors says, consider the robot to have as much BODY as a Hero System vehicle of the same mass, or at least the same basic mass determined from its Size. Or look on the table on 5e p. 304 and find the mech's mass on that in the Vehicle column.)

Accommodations:

A Battletech standard cockpit is 3 tons. This is 30 Mass Units, and if you buy all of the standard Robot Warriors accommodations it comes to 10 Mass Units. Spend 10 Mass Units and call it good.

Movement:

One Battletech turn is 10 seconds. One Battletech hex is 30 meters. To turn these into Hero System Turns and Scale 4 hexes, multiply the Battletech movement rates by 2.4; to turn them into standard Hero System (2-meter) hexes, multiply them by 18. This gives you movement for the full Turn; divide this by the SPD you bought, then buy that much movement per Phase.

Don't use Battletech running movement. Instead, double the base movement to get noncombat. (Battletech Hero: use Battletech running movement as is; treat mech running as noncombat.)

For mechs with jump jets, don't buy the Robot Warriors Leap System. Instead, buy Flight Hardware with a Limitation: Must Land At End Of Phase.

Limbs:

Assume that all movement is legged.

For Robot Warriors, buy the robot Lifters if the Battletech mech has full arms (shoulder, arm, hand actuators).

For Hero System, buy Extra Limbs.

Weapon Conversions:

Convert the weapon's tonnage.

Determine any Advantages and Limitations that the weapon would possess. They would be based on the weapon's Charges, things like Area of Effect, Autofire, Explosion, etc. The shortest range weapons have no bonuses or penalties to Range Modifier; the next ones up would get +2 to RMod, the next ones +4, etc. (Note: I haven't done this in the samples below. If there are comments suggesting it, I'll do it and fix it. I plan on converting the full Battletech list, but don't have time at the moment.)

Once you have determined all of the weapon's Advantages and Limitations, apply them in reverse to figure out how much damage the weapon causes. (This is backwards from the usual Robot Warriors way, where you'd start with damage, apply Advantages and Limitations to find the mass; here we're starting with mass, and applying Advantages and Limitations to find the damage.)

Weapons have BODY scores based on their mass: consider it to be a Complex item, and see the table on Hero System 5e p. 304 (or the same table in 5er, page number I don't know.) Essentially, 7 BODY at 100 kilograms/1 Mass Unit, +1 BODY per x2 mass (or -1 BODY per x1/2 mass).

Here are the weapons from the Classic Battletech book. For heat, weapons that generate heat have the Robot Warriors Limitation of Side Effects: Susceptibility, at 15 plus 1d6 per full 3 Heat, round down. As stated above, I'm assuming that heat sinks are represented by a combination of Damage Control and Spare Parts, maybe with a Limitation against the Damage Control that it doesn't repair BODY proper.

I changed the way I did lasers and PPCs from the previous version. I went back and looked through Robot Warriors again, and most of the laser weapons have Piercing, while most particle weapons (things like plasma weapons, fusion cannons, electro cannons, and the like) don't.

The LRM was an interesting critter. I decided to try to model its minimum range, which I didn't for any other weapons. It has a net -2 OCV for all attacks within 4 hexes, whatever its OCV bonus is out to 16 hexes (with a +4 to Range Modifier), and -2 per category above that. Happily, all of the LRM launchers worked out to 3 1/2d6 per missile, which maxes out at 55 hexes. There's a mini-table in the weapons list that shows you the total OCV modifiers by range.

For the most part, I used the method I described above for translating tonnage into mass units. There were one or two corner case weapons where doing this caused two different classes of the same weapon to come out mechanically the same, so I made some changes to various parts (on, I think, one of the autocannons I changed the heat output); on the LRM 10 I rounded 6 tons with ammo up to 64 Mass Units, which had the happy result of making all of the LRMs come out at 3 1/2d6. This worked against me massively when converting the SRM launchers, though; there's no way I can get them the same without making them all mechanically the same.

One thing I had forgotten at midnight last night when I was half dead: the number of shots represents the number of uses of the weapon, not the number of bullets or whatever. So, there are a few oddities: for instance, the Machine Gun has Autofire (5 shots) and 500 charges. This makes it work out to 100 bursts, exactly as in Battletech. Interestingly, all of the LRM launchers load 120 missiles (I remember noticing this back when I was playing Battletech regularly, but forgot).

If you're not using Robot Warriors, and are playing Battletech Hero in some form: ignore the Susceptibilities and translate the heat rules, and use the Battletech notes on tonnage and ammunition per ton. If you are doing that, you can safely upgrade the SRM 2 to 4 1/2d6 damage as well. If you're playing Battletech Hero, also use either Hero System Hit Locations or Battletech Hit Locations, and use each weapon's Critical Slots from Battletech. If you're playing Battletech Hero, you'll need some way of turning Battletech armor into Hero System DEF; I'm working on that and should hopefully have something by next weekend.

If you need a BODY score for each weapon: each Mass Unit is 100 kilograms. Take the weapon's mass, look on the table on 5e p. 304 or 5er p. 449 in the Complex Items table.

Flamer: 5d6+1, 1d6+15 Susceptibility (+2). 8 Mass Units, 10 BODY.

Large Laser: 5 1/2d6, 6 Piercing (-3), 3d6+15 Susceptibility (+4). 32 Mass Units, 12 BODY.

Medium Laser: 4 1/2d6, 4 Piercing (-2), 1d6+15 Susceptibility (+2). 8 Mass Units, 10 BODY.

Small Laser: 4d6, 2 Piercing (-1). 4 Mass Units, 9 BODY.

PPC: 7d6, 3d6+15 Susceptibility (+4). 64 Mass Units, 13 BODY.

Autocannon/2: 4d6, 2 Piercing (-1), Autofire (5 shots) (-1), 250 Charges (-3). 64 Mass Units, 13 BODY.

Autocannon/5: 4 1/2d6, 2 Piercing (-1), Autofire (5 shots) (-1), 100 Charges (-2). 64 Mass Units, 13 BODY.

Autocannon/10: 5 1/2d6, 2 Piercing (-1), Autofire (5 shots) (-1), 50 Charges (-1), 1d6+15 Susceptibility (+2). 125 Mass Units, 14 BODY.

Autocannon/20: 6d6, 2 Piercing (-1), Autofire (5 shots) (-1), 25 Charges (-1), 2d6+15 Susceptibility (+3). 125 Mass Units, 14 BODY.

Flamer (Vehicular): 5d6+1, 20 Charges (-1), 1d6+15 Susceptibility (+2), 16 Mass Units, 11 BODY.

Machine Gun: 3d6+1, Autofire (5 shots) (-1), 500 Charges (-3). 8 Mass Units, 10 BODY.

LRM 5: 3 1/2d6, Autofire (5 shots) (-1), 120 Charges (-2), +4 RMod (-2), -2 OCV vs. targets within 4 hexes (+1). 16 Mass Units, 11 BODY.

LRM 10: 3 1/2d6, Autofire (10 shots) (-2), 120 Charges (-2), +4 OCV (-4), +4 RMod (-2), -6 OCV within 0-4 Hexes (+3), 1d6+15 Susceptibility (+2). 32 Mass Units, 12 BODY.

LRM 15: 3 1/2d6, Autofire (15 shots) (-3), 120 Charges (-2), +6 OCV (-6), +4 RMod (-2), -8 OCV within 0-4 Hexes (+4), 2d6+15 Susceptibility (+3). 64 Mass Units, 13 BODY.

LRM 20: 3 1/2d6, Autofire (20 shots) (-3), 120 Charges (-2), +8 OCV (-8), +4 RMod (-2), -10 OCV w/in 0-4 Hexes (+5), 2d6+15 Susceptibility (+3). 125 Mass Units, 14 BODY.

Note: For all of the LRMs, the general OCV bonus stacks with the OCV Penalty within 4 hexes; they are all at a -2 OCV to hit all targets within 4 hexes, OCV bonus against all targets 5-16 hexes, then additional -2 at 17-32, 33-64, etc. The LRM 20 is still receiving OCV bonuses to hit targets at its maximum range! (55 hexes -- these are Scale 4, 16 meter hexes)

LRM 5: 0-4 hexes -2; 5-16 hexes, +0; 17-32 hexes, -2; 33-55 hexes, -4

LRM 10: 0-4 hexes -2; 5-16 hexes, +4; 17-32 hexes, +2; 33-55 hexes, +0

LRM 15: 0-4 hexes, -2; 5-16 hexes, +6; 17-32 hexes, +4; 33-55 hexes, +2

LRM 20: 0-4 hexes, -2; 5-16 hexes, +8; 17-32 hexes, +6; 33-55 hexes, +4

SRM 2: 4d6, Autofire (2 shots) (-1), 100 Charges (-2), 16 Mass Units, 11 BODY.

SRM 4: 4 1/2d6, Autofire (4 shots) (-1), 100 Charges (-2), 1d6+15 Susceptibility (+2). 16 Mass Units, 11 BODY.

SRM 6: 4 1/2d6, Autofire (6 shots) (-2), 90 Charges (-2), 1d6+15 Susceptibility (+2). 32 Mass Units, 12 BODY.

If playing Robot Warriors, you can use these tables to make fun modifications; one I always wanted, but that the Battletech rules never provided for, was a way to give a mech a hand carried weapon of some kind. In Robot Warriors, just apply the Carried Limitation which halves the weapon's mass. There are probably other fun things you can do as well.

Mech Armor:

Convert the armor's tonnage. Give the mecha that many Mass Units worth of Armor. All Battletech armor is Ablative; apply this Limitation to the mech's DEF.

The Catapult (sample mech) is 65 tons, 650 Mass Units and Size Class 4. The designer has put 10 tons of armor on (100 Mass Units, rounds to 64). That comes out to a base DEF of 17, minus the Size Class of 4, which comes to 13. Not bad. It's all Ablative, so that makes it 17.

Combat:

Standard Robot Warriors, with one exception: roll Penetration Table hits as normal, but when a piece of hardware is hit, it takes BODY instead of being destroyed outright.

Re: Battletech to Robot Warriors

I find myself in a quandary when converting weapons that take ammunition. I may redo the Machine Gun again as a result of this.

In Battletech, you can pack as much ammunition as you want for a given weapon, right? The weapon list has a column for "Ammo Per Ton" for that reason. Yet, when building a weapon for Hero, you need to give it *some* amount of ammunition. Including the ammunition load in the weapon's weight can skew the results, as you can see in the Machine Gun conversion above. If I assume half a ton of ammunition, the total of weapon and ammo comes to 1 ton, which is 10 mass units, which given my conversion rule rounds down to 8. If I assume a full ton of ammunition, the total of weapon and ammo comes to 1.5 tons, which is 15 mass units, which rounds down to 8.

I have to be honest and say I prefer the machine gun at 3d6 rather than 3 1/2d6, but I'm having a hard time getting the numbers to work out.

Not sure what to do.

Edit: The Battletech rules call for a minimum of 1 ton of ammunition per class of weapon, or half a ton for machine guns. That gives me a starting number... my conversions will assume that much ammunition as the minimum, and in Robot Warriors you can increase the number of Charges by increasing the mass of the weapon. So the one at 3 1/2d6 for 100 charges is correct. Hmmm.

Looks good so far.

I've always thought that a good mechanic for Battletech heat and heat sinks would be an END Reserve. It would work kind of in reverse, though. The END would represent capacity for more heat rather than energy to run the weapons.

A fully cooled mech would have full "heat" END. As it fires hot weapons, it's capacity to absorb more heat would drop. The REC of the Reserve would represent the heat sinks dissipating the heat. If the Reserve ran completely out of END, the mech would overheat (although my experience with Battletech is not that extensive, so I don't really remember what happens when it overheats). The REC would be bought at a higher level than it would usually use, with a Limitation that it only gets half its full REC when not in water.

In re: machine guns, how much damage does Dark Champions give to the heavy heavies? I know a .50 is 3d6 right? Some of the heavier machine guns might go as high as 3 1/2d6, so either way would probably work.

Okay, I think that for heat buildup I'm going to try to figure out something between Activation Roll with Burnout and Side Effects: Susceptibility (which works a little differently when applied in Robot Warriors).

Captain Obvious: You're right about the 3 1/2d6 machine guns. I need to get the full list converted over. Once I've done that, I'm going to try to work everything back to Battletech numbers so that it'll be easier to play Battletech Hero.

I'm also working up another variant to Ablative Defenses which I'll post when ready; it's more bookkeeping, about akin to keeping track of Battletech armor damage, which makes it almost ideal, especially when combined with Hit Locations. (The gist: you keep track of how much total damage the DEF has stopped, and every time it's stopped cumulative damage equal to its DEF it drops an Activation level. It would give Reduced Penetration attacks a nasty anti-armor effect.)

Here are the weapons from the Classic Battletech book. I've changed the guidelines I used from before: weapons that generate heat have the Robot Warriors Limitation of Side Effects: Susceptibility, at 15 plus 1d6 per full 3 Heat, round down. I'm also going to assume that heat sinks are represented by a combination of Damage Control and Spare Parts, maybe with a Limitation against the Damage Control that it doesn't repair BODY proper.

I changed the way I did lasers and PPCs from above. I went back and looked through Robot Warriors again, and most of the laser weapons have Piercing, while most particle weapons (things like plasma weapons, fusion cannons, electro cannons, and the like) don't.

The LRM was an interesting critter. I decided to try to model its minimum range, which I didn't for any other weapons. It has a net -2 OCV for all attacks within 4 hexes, whatever its OCV bonus is out to 16 hexes (with a +4 to Range Modifier), and -2 per category above that. Happily, all of the LRM launchers worked out to 3 1/2d6 per missile, which maxes out at 55 hexes.

For the most part, I used the method I described above for translating tonnage into mass units. There were one or two corner case weapons where doing this caused two different classes of the same weapon to come out mechanically the same, so I made some changes to various parts (on, I think, one of the autocannons I changed the heat output); on the LRM 10 I rounded 6 tons with ammo up to 64 Mass Units, which had the happy result of making all of the LRMs come out at 3 1/2d6. This worked against me massively when converting the SRM launchers, though; there's no way I can get them the same without making them all mechanically the same.

One thing I had forgotten at midnight last night when I was half dead: the number of shots represents the number of uses of the weapon, not the number of bullets or whatever. So, there are a few oddities: for instance, the Machine Gun has Autofire (5 shots) and 500 charges. This makes it work out to 100 bursts, exactly as in Battletech. Interestingly, all of the LRM launchers load 120 missiles (I remember noticing this back when I was playing Battletech regularly, but forgot).

If you're not using Robot Warriors, and are playing Battletech Hero in some form: ignore the Susceptibilities and translate the heat rules, and use the Battletech notes on tonnage and ammunition per ton. If you are doing that, you can safely upgrade the SRM 2 to 4 1/2d6 damage as well. If you're playing Battletech Hero, also use either Hero System Hit Locations or Battletech Hit Locations, and use each weapon's Critical Slots from Battletech. If you're playing Battletech Hero, you'll need some way of turning Battletech armor into Hero System DEF; I'm working on that and should hopefully have something by next weekend.

If you need a BODY score for each weapon: each Mass Unit is 100 kilograms. Take the weapon's mass, look on the table on 5e p. 304 or 5er p. 449 in the Complex Items table.

Flamer: 5d6+1, 1d6+15 Susceptibility (+2). 8 Mass Units

Large Laser: 5 1/2d6, 6 Piercing (-3), 3d6+15 Susceptibility (+4). 32 Mass Units

Medium Laser: 4 1/2d6, 4 Piercing (-2), 1d6+15 Susceptibility (+2). 8 Mass Units

Small Laser: 4d6, 2 Piercing (-1). 4 Mass Units

PPC: 7d6, 3d6+15 Susceptibility (+4). 64 Mass Units

Autocannon/2: 4d6, 2 Piercing (-1), Autofire (5 shots) (-1), 250 Charges (-3). 64 Mass Units

Autocannon/5: 4 1/2d6, 2 Piercing (-1), Autofire (5 shots) (-1), 100 Charges (-2). 64 Mass Units.

Autocannon/10: 5 1/2d6, 2 Piercing (-1), Autofire (5 shots) (-1), 50 Charges (-1), 1d6+15 Susceptibility (+2). 125 Mass Units

Autocannon/20: 6d6, 2 Piercing (-1), Autofire (5 shots) (-1), 25 Charges (-1), 2d6+15 Susceptibility (+3). 125 Mass Units.

Flamer (Vehicular): 5d6+1, 20 Charges (-1), 1d6+15 Susceptibility (+2), 16 Mass Units.

Machine Gun: 3d6+1, Autofire (5 shots) (-1), 500 Charges (-3). 8 Mass Units

LRM 5: 3 1/2d6, Autofire (5 shots) (-1), 120 Charges (-2), +4 RMod (-2), -2 OCV vs. targets within 4 hexes (+1). 16 Mass Units

LRM 10: 3 1/2d6, Autofire (10 shots) (-2), 120 Charges (-2), +4 OCV (-4), +4 RMod (-2), -6 OCV within 0-4 Hexes (+3), 1d6+15 Susceptibility (+2). 32 Mass Units.

LRM 15: 3 1/2d6, Autofire (15 shots) (-3), 120 Charges (-2), +6 OCV (-6), +4 RMod (-2), -8 OCV within 0-4 Hexes (+4), 2d6+15 Susceptibility (+3). 64 Mass Units

LRM 20: 3 1/2d6, Autofire (20 shots) (-3), 120 Charges (-2), +8 OCV (-8), +4 RMod (-2), -10 OCV w/in 0-4 Hexes (+5), 2d6+15 Susceptibility (+3). 125 Mass Units.

Note: For all of the LRMs, the general OCV bonus stacks with the OCV Penalty within 4 hexes; they are all at a -2 OCV to hit all targets within 4 hexes, OCV bonus against all targets 5-16 hexes, then additional -2 at 17-32, 33-64, etc. The LRM 20 is still receiving OCV bonuses to hit targets at its maximum range! (55 hexes)

LRM 5: 0-4 hexes -2; 5-16 hexes, +0; 17-32 hexes, -2; 33-55 hexes, -4

LRM 10: 0-4 hexes -2; 5-16 hexes, +4; 17-32 hexes, +2; 33-55 hexes, +0

LRM 15: 0-4 hexes, -2; 5-16 hexes, +6; 17-32 hexes, +4; 33-55 hexes, +2

LRM 20: 0-4 hexes, -2; 5-16 hexes, +8; 17-32 hexes, +6; 33-55 hexes, +4

SRM 2: 4d6, Autofire (2 shots) (-1), 100 Charges (-2), 16 Mass Units

SRM 4: 4 1/2d6, Autofire (4 shots) (-1), 100 Charges (-2), 1d6+15 Susceptibility (+2). 16 Mass Units

SRM 6: 4 1/2d6, Autofire (6 shots) (-2), 90 Charges (-2), 1d6+15 Susceptibility (+2). 32 Mass Units

If playing Robot Warriors, you can use these tables to make fun modifications; one I always wanted, but that the Battletech rules never provided for, was a way to give a mech a hand carried weapon of some kind. In Robot Warriors, just apply the Carried Limitation which halves the weapon's mass. There are probably other fun things you can do as well.

Looks good so far.

I've always thought that a good mechanic for Battletech heat and heat sinks would be an END Reserve. It would work kind of in reverse, though. The END would represent capacity for more heat rather than energy to run the weapons.

A fully cooled mech would have full "heat" END. As it fires hot weapons, it's capacity to absorb more heat would drop. The REC of the Reserve would represent the heat sinks dissipating the heat. If the Reserve ran completely out of END, the mech would overheat (although my experience with Battletech is not that extensive, so I don't really remember what happens when it overheats). The REC would be bought at a higher level than it would usually use, with a Limitation that it only gets half its full REC when not in water.

In pretty much all of the Battletech Hero games I played in back in the day, we kept heat almost as in Battletech, just converting the numbers so that pilots received OCV penalties, had reduced REC, and even at higher levels took damage (maybe something like 1d6 STUN per Phase). Nowadays, I'm thinking something with increasing the Temperature Level. It bears more thought, and I don't have any of my books with me so can't do any of it right now.