Buffy-style Slayer and friends in Hero question

Mark Rand

I've seen good writeups for Buffy-style Slayers, but no good templates for a Slayer's Watcher, "Scooby Gang", or other associates.

I suspect that her associates would include some trainers, experts in various fields, a witch or two, and people that are good at fighting. Some might be descended from the Amazons mentioned in Xena: Warrior Princess.

Any ideas?

Re: Buffy-style Slayer and friends in Hero question

If it would be useful for you to have HERO stats for various characters from the Buffy and Angel TV series, I recommend these websites:

Full writeups for a number of characters from the series:

http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptationsmovie/moviechar.html#buffy

This website includes HERO writeups for many regular and guest characters, plus some converted spells and several Package Deals:

http://angel.fcpages.com/

[then scroll down to "Nightspawn & Champions RPG," second "paragraph."]

If it would be useful for you to have HERO stats for various characters from the Buffy and Angel TV series, I recommend these websites:

Full writeups for a number of characters from the series:

http://surbrook.devermore.net/adaptationsmovie/moviechar.html#buffy

This website includes HERO writeups for many regular and guest characters, plus some converted spells and several Package Deals:

http://angel.fcpages.com/

[then scroll down to "Nightspawn & Champions RPG," second "paragraph."]

I've seen them and they're wonderful.

What I'm looking for now are ideas for a Slayer's sidekicks in a campaign set after the last episode of Angel: the series.

Oh, anyone know how to determine how many Slayers will be assigned to a city?

I've seen them and they're wonderful.

What I'm looking for now are ideas for a Slayer's sidekicks in a campaign set after the last episode of Angel: the series.

Oh, anyone know how to determine how many Slayers will be assigned to a city?

"Assigned"? Been awhile since I've seen the last season of Buffy, and I never followed Angel as closely (the Watchers didn't show up much in there anyway, did they? Besides Wes, obviously, but he was more "ex-Watcher"), but wasn't the Watcher's council pretty well decimated by the end there? I don't know who's gonna be doing the "assigning". I'd think the new batch of Slayers, essentially trained by Buffy, would just pick whichever cities they wanted to live in. If more than one pick the same city, cool. Even if the Council does reconstitute itself, I'd think the example set by Buffy would mean the Watchers would have a pretty hard time demanding the Slayers do a damn thing and expect to be listened to.

As far as I know, Buffy was the first slayer to even have friends, or a support network outside the Council, so there wouldn't be any standard for "Scoobies". Pretty much anyone with any exposure to the supernatural world might qualify. Sorcerers both Wiccan and non-, therianthropes, "good" demons, unwitting or accidental subjects of spells or magical accidents that have useful side-effects, people who've stumbled upon magical artifacts and learned to use them, half-breed descendants of magical creatures, mad scientists, spirit channelers/loa horses, psychics, humans turned into demons, demons turned into humans, etc. etc.

And don't forget those carpenters with good bowling skills - plain old mundane people with mundane skills were just as much a part of the team. To put them on a par with the magical types, those mundane skills might be more along the lines of "Special Forces guy" or "uber hacker chick", but still...

At least one Slayer and some of her friends are going to be in the 9th grade when she starts showing up on superhero radar.

Their Watcher is Edward Giles, Rupert's cousin. Like Rupert, his cover is the school librarian. (Casting call: Michael York.)

I suspect that some of their associates will be non-fighters, like a priest, rabbi, or linguist that they can consult, or a doctor whose life they saved.

How about

The promqueen who is actually 33 and there undecover for someone

The male Bi Curious Swim team member who has a thing for his female Math teacher but also the male nerd student who helps out in the library on occasion.

The Student who has been trapped in the school for the last 15 years, at the end of the year, everyone forgets her and she is cursed to start again in 9th grade for another year, she forgets everything she learned but remembers her time spent.

:)

How about

The promqueen who is actually 33 and there undecover for someone

The male Bi Curious Swim team member who has a thing for his female Math teacher but also the male nerd student who helps out in the library on occasion.

The Student who has been trapped in the school for the last 15 years, at the end of the year, everyone forgets her and she is cursed to start again in 9th grade for another year, she forgets everything she learned but remembers her time spent.

:)

Cool stuff.

The "Prom Queen" could be a Highlander-style Immortal. She was killed by a vampire and now works for PRIMUS. (They're interested in Isis.) She wields a cutlass and thinks she's the only Immortal there. (She isn't. There are two others who know how to mute their buzz.)

Can the girl who has been trapped in the school for the past 15 years ever leave it. If not, her wardrobe is 15 years out of date and the "popular" crowd is going to tease her about it.

Let's not forget that for some reason the Scooby Gang characters all have the Disad, "Can't act their way out of a wet paper bag unless it's life or death". Every time nobodies life was in danger and they had to perform some form of entertainment it was a disaster. Even in Angel Cordelia's stage debut was painful ("We could yell fire, technically it's not a crowded theatre.").

"As far as I know, Buffy was the first slayer to even have friends, or a support network outside the Council, so there wouldn't be any standard for "Scoobies". "

Buffy isn't the first Slayer to have friends, remember the ex-demon hunter puppet? He was friends (well a little more) with a Slayer back in the '20s and presumably others have had people around them as well, although maybe not more than one at a time. It's just that it's implied it's not common and it's not what the Watchers would like. They're all dead now so what they like doesn't matter.

Let's not forget that for some reason the Scooby Gang characters all have the Disad' date=' "Can't act their way out of a wet paper bag unless it's life or death". Every time nobodies life was in danger and they had to perform some form of entertainment it was a disaster. Even in Angel Cordelia's stage debut was painful ("We could yell fire, technically it's not a crowded theatre.").[/quote']Ahh. At first I thought you meant the actors, not the characters, and I was going to have to respectfully disagree with you, with extreme prejudice (though the actors all had their moments, too). I guess I haven't seen enough episodes to clue into the character disad. Besides, some of them did pretty well in "Once More, With Feeling", right? Or was that the supernatural boost. :P

Buffy isn't the first Slayer to have friends' date=' remember the ex-demon hunter puppet? He was friends (well a little more) with a Slayer back in the '20s and presumably others have had people around them as well, although maybe not more than one at a time. It's just that it's implied it's not common and it's not what the Watchers would like. They're all dead now so what they like doesn't matter.[/quote']Hear, hear!

It's almost embarrassing how little I know the show that I would unhesitatingly call my favorite TV show, ever... but I don't watch that much TV in general. I'll take your word for both points.

• 1 month later...

I just thought of another associate.

All three Slayers are in high school. Mariko, the cousin of one of them, is the technical manager for the local superhero team. They go to her when the electronic gear they use while hunting vamps and demons needs repair.