Character for coment: Isis

Mark Rand

Here is my version of the Andrea Thomas Isis for comment. It's also my first attempt at creating a character with HD3.

The characteristics listed are for Isis, not Andrea.

[b]Isis - Andrea Thomas[/b]

[b][u]VAL[/u]   [u]CHA[/u]   [u]Cost[/u]   [u]Total[/u]   [u]Roll[/u]      [u]Notes[/u][/b]
15    STR     0   15      12-       HTH Damage 3d6  END [2]
25    DEX     0   25      14-       OCV 8 DCV 8
23    CON     -4   23      14-
10    BODY    0   10      11-
16    INT     6   16      12-       PER Roll 12-
23    EGO     14   23      14-       ECV: 8
21    PRE     3   21      13-       PRE Attack: 4d6
18    COM     2   18      13-
16    PD      2   16             16 PD (0 rPD)
18    ED      2   18             18 ED (0 rED)
5    SPD     0   5                 Phases:  3, 5, 8, 10, 12
12    REC     4   12
76    END     0   76
44    STUN    2   44
6    RUN      0   6"                END [1]
2    SWIM     0   2"                END [1]
3    LEAP     0   3"                3" forward, 1 1/2" upward

[b]CHA Cost: 31[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]POWERS[/u][/b]
4     +5 STR (5 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) - END=1
36     +15 DEX (45 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) - END=
24     +15 CON (30 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) - END=
10     +6 EGO (12 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) - END=
6     +8 PRE (8 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) - END=
2     +4 COM; Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) - END=
9     [b][i]15[/i][/b]: +11 PD (11 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) - END=
9     +11 ED (11 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) - END=
16     +2 SPD (20 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) - END=
3     +2 REC (4 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) - END=
12     +30 END (15 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) - END=
10     +12 STUN (12 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) - END=
15     Mind Link , One Specific Mind, her bird, Any distance, Psychic Bond - END=0
3     Cosmetic Transform 1d6 (5 Active Points); Gestures: take amulet out from under clothing (-1/4), Incantations: say "Oh Mighty Isis" (-1/4) - END=1
133     Variable Power Pool (Magic Pool), 100 base + 33 control cost,  (150 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4), Incantations: rhyming couplet (-1/4) - END=

[b]POWERS Cost: 292[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]SKILLS[/u][/b]
7      Inventor 14-
2      KS: Tennis 11-
2      KS: Ritual Magic 11-
2      KS: Occult Knowledge 11-
2      KS: Magical Artifacts 11-
8      CK: Camaign City and surrounding area 17-
9      KS: high school she teaches at 18-
5      PS: high school science teacher 14-
7      PS Cook 16-
16      Animal Handler (Birds, Canines, Equines, Felines, Raptors) 18-
7      SS: chemistry 16-
5      SS Physics 14-
6      SS: mathematics 15-
4      SS: geology 13-
9      TF:  Common Motorized Ground Vehicles, Agricultural & Construction Vehicles, Equines, Jetskis, SCUBA, Skating (iceskating or rollerskating), Skiing (snow), Small Motorized Boats
12      Survival (Temperate/Subtropical, Mountain, Urban) 15-

[b]SKILLS Cost: 103[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]PERKS[/u][/b]
1      Fringe Benefit:  License to practice a profession; Only In Secret Identity (-1/4) [Notes: Andrea has a current teacher's certificate.]
3      Access to school she teaches in
4      Contact: floating (Contact has useful Skills or resources, Contact limited by identity, Very Good relationship with Contact) 11- [Notes: Both Andrea and Isis have various contacts.]
2      Fringe Benefit:  Federal/National Police Powers (3 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) [Notes: Although not shown in the series, the comic book and short story book give the impression that Isis has these powers.]

[b]PERKS Cost: 10[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]TALENTS[/u][/b]
2      Bump Of Direction (3 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)
19      Universal Translator 16- (24 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

[b]TALENTS Cost: 21[/b]
[b][u]Value[/u]  [u]DISADVANTAGES[/u][/b]
15     Social Limitation:  Secret ID (Frequently, Major)
20     Psychological Limitation:  CVK (Common, Total)
20     Reputation:  The Goddess Supreme, 14- (Extreme) [Notes: Only as Isis]
15     Dependent NPC:  school population 14- (Normal; Useful Noncombat Position or Skills)
20     Hunted:  Rogues gallery 11- (As Pow, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Harshly Punish)

[b]DISADVANTAGES Points: 90[/b]

Base Pts: 200
Exp Required: 167
Total Exp Available: 0
Exp Unspent: 0
Total Character Cost: 457

Re: Character for coment: Isis

I like this Mark. I wonder even if the stats are right for her' date=' is she right for the level of game you're doing?[/quote']

I converted her from stats I found for the Mayfair DC Heroes game and added stuff I picked up on while watching the entire show on DVD.

Some of the skills, though, are more suited for Seacouver or Pittsburgh, then the L.A. area, where it was shot.

She may not be on the team the PCs are part of. I envision her as either someone the PCs occasionally team up with, especially if there's no mage on the team, or a mentor for a teen hero campaign.

A few issues with the build for me:

1. Your hunted states that the character has a public ID or is easy to find; but you also have a Secret ID at a high level. Without more background, these two seem inconsistent for me.

2. You've purchased something like 175 pts of characteristics all limited by Only in Heroic ID, but you also have an instant cosmetic transform into Hero ID. Coupled with that you have a 100 pt VPP that's accessible in both Hero and Secret ID. As a GM, I would wonder, how often would this "only in Hero ID" come up?" and even when it does, with a 100 pt VPP, "Is it really limiting?" I'd be much more comfortable with it if the VPP was also Hero ID only.

3. The Extreme reputation of Isis. What is it? And how is it bad for the PC? And if it is so bad for the PC, how does she still have police powers? Maybe she is constantly interfered with well meaning but religiously bigoted civilians who throw bricks, protest out front of the courthouse when she testifies etc. (though, that is more of a Social Lim. to me than a reputation).

Peace

A few issues with the build for me:

1. Your hunted states that the character has a public ID or is easy to find; but you also have a Secret ID at a high level. Without more background, these two seem inconsistent for me.

2. You've purchased something like 175 pts of characteristics all limited by Only in Heroic ID, but you also have an instant cosmetic transform into Hero ID. Coupled with that you have a 100 pt VPP that's accessible in both Hero and Secret ID. As a GM, I would wonder, how often would this "only in Hero ID" come up?" and even when it does, with a 100 pt VPP, "Is it really limiting?" I'd be much more comfortable with it if the VPP was also Hero ID only.

3. The Extreme reputation of Isis. What is it? And how is it bad for the PC? And if it is so bad for the PC, how does she still have police powers? Maybe she is constantly interfered with well meaning but religiously bigoted civilians who throw bricks, protest out front of the courthouse when she testifies etc. (though, that is more of a Social Lim. to me than a reputation).

Peace

Okay. I'll do my best to answer your questions. Please keep in mind that this is the first character I've built in HD in a while.

1) It's known in some circles that Isis is associated, in some way, with one particular high school, the one Andrea teaches at.

2) When Andrea transforms, there is both a costume change and a change in her physical appearance. With this change comes increased physical stats and the ability to use magic. It could be that one mind controls two bodies with the one that's not in use staying in stasis.

3) Her reputation a is good one. It's just that people know what to expect from her.

I'll check the file tonight and, probably, make some changes.

I have rewritten Isis slightly. Here's the updated version. I'll do a bit more with it before posting the updated HDC file.

[b]Isis - Andrea Thomas[/b]

[b][u]VAL[/u]   [u]CHA[/u]   [u]Cost[/u]   [u]Total[/u]   [u]Roll[/u]      [u]Notes[/u][/b]
15    STR     0   15      12-       HTH Damage 3d6  END [2]
25    DEX     0   25      14-       OCV 8 DCV 8
23    CON     -4   23      14-
10    BODY    0   10      11-
16    INT     6   16      12-       PER Roll 12-
23    EGO     14   23      14-       ECV: 8
21    PRE     3   21      13-       PRE Attack: 4d6
18    COM     2   18      13-
16    PD      2   16             16 PD (0 rPD)
18    ED      2   18             18 ED (0 rED)
5    SPD     0   5                 Phases:  3, 5, 8, 10, 12
12    REC     4   12
76    END     0   76
44    STUN    2   44
6    RUN      0   6"                END [1]
2    SWIM     0   2"                END [1]
3    LEAP     0   3"                3" forward, 1 1/2" upward

[b]CHA Cost: 31[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]POWERS[/u][/b]
4     +5 STR (5 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) - END=1
36     +15 DEX (45 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) - END=
24     +15 CON (30 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) - END=
10     +6 EGO (12 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) - END=
6     +8 PRE (8 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) - END=
2     +4 COM; Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) - END=
9     [b][i]15[/i][/b]: +11 PD (11 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) - END=
9     +11 ED (11 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) - END=
16     +2 SPD (20 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) - END=
3     +2 REC (4 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) - END=
12     +30 END (15 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) - END=
10     +12 STUN (12 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) - END=
15     Mind Link , One Specific Mind, her bird, Any distance, Psychic Bond - END=0
3     Cosmetic Transform 1d6 (5 Active Points); Gestures: take amulet out from under clothing (-1/4), Incantations: say "Oh Mighty Isis" (-1/4) - END=1
133     Variable Power Pool (Magic Pool), 100 base + 33 control cost,  (150 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4), Incantations: rhyming couplet (-1/4) - END=

[b]POWERS Cost: 292[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]SKILLS[/u][/b]
7      Inventor 14-
2      KS: Tennis 11-
2      KS: Ritual Magic 11-
2      KS: Occult Knowledge 11-
2      KS: Magical Artifacts 11-
8      CK: Camaign City and surrounding area 17-
9      KS: high school she teaches at 18-
5      PS: high school science teacher 14-
7      PS Cook 16-
16      Animal Handler (Birds, Canines, Equines, Felines, Raptors) 18-
7      SS: chemistry 16-
5      SS Physics 14-
6      SS: mathematics 15-
4      SS: geology 13-
9      TF:  Common Motorized Ground Vehicles, Agricultural & Construction Vehicles, Equines, Jetskis, SCUBA, Skating (iceskating or rollerskating), Skiing (snow), Small Motorized Boats
12      Survival (Temperate/Subtropical, Mountain, Urban) 15-

[b]SKILLS Cost: 103[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]PERKS[/u][/b]
1      Fringe Benefit:  License to practice a profession; Only In Secret Identity (-1/4) [Notes: Andrea has a current teacher's certificate.]
3      Access to school she teaches in
4      Contact: floating (Contact has useful Skills or resources, Contact limited by identity, Very Good relationship with Contact) 11- [Notes: Both Andrea and Isis have various contacts.]
2      Fringe Benefit:  Federal/National Police Powers (3 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) [Notes: Although not shown in the series, the comic book and short story book give the impression that Isis has these powers.]
1      Reputation: A caring teacher (A small to medium sized group) 11-, +1/+1d6; Only as Andrea (-1/4)
2      Reputation: The Goddess Supreme (A medium-sized group) 14-, +1/+1d6; Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

[b]PERKS Cost: 13[/b]

[b][u]Cost[/u]   [u]TALENTS[/u][/b]
2      Bump Of Direction (3 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)
19      Universal Translator 16- (24 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

[b]TALENTS Cost: 21[/b]
[b][u]Value[/u]  [u]DISADVANTAGES[/u][/b]
15     Social Limitation:  Secret ID (Frequently, Major)
20     Psychological Limitation:  CVK (Common, Total)
15     Dependent NPC:  school population 14- (Normal; Useful Noncombat Position or Skills)
15     Hunted:  Rogues gallery 11- (As Pow, NCI, Limited Geographical Area, Harshly Punish)
10     Hunted:  federal government 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Watching)

[b]DISADVANTAGES Points: 75[/b]

Base Pts: 200
Exp Required: 185
Total Exp Available: 0
Exp Unspent: 0
Total Character Cost: 460

Some combat-oriented skill levels might be helpful. At the least' date=' some levels to offset range mods would not hurt.[/quote']

In the TV series (1975), Isis never attacked physically. Of course, this could be due to the fact that this was a Saturday morning television program.

An Iron age Isis, on the other hand, would be very different. She'd have martial arts skills and wouldn't be afraid to use them.

• 1 month later...
Guest Major Tom

Just got through looking Isis' writeup over, and I just want to be sure

about something: are the CHA adds listed in her powers the amount

by which each CHA has to be reduced in order to represent Andrea?

Major Tom :confused:

Just got through looking Isis' writeup over, and I just want to be sure

about something: are the CHA adds listed in her powers the amount

by which each CHA has to be reduced in order to represent Andrea?

Major Tom :confused:

Yes.

Interesting. I don't remember much about the show' date=' however. What's the character's history? Her tactics would also be helpful to know.[/quote']

High school chemistry teacher Andrea Thomas was helping on a dig in Egypt when she discovered an amulet and a scroll. She felt a compulsion to put the amulet on and was able to translate the scroll.

Reading the scroll, she discovered that she was the decedent of an Egyptian queen who was once Isis. A good person, Andrea decided to use the powers as a superheroine.

As far as tactics go, she's a mage with the powers of an avatar of an Egyptian deity.

Again, this is from the 1970s Saturday morning television program. An Iron Age Isis may have a slightly different history and would probably have some HTH skills.