Spell Storage Items

Armitage

I just got my copy of Enchanted Items yesterday and the Bracelet of Spell Storage made me consider an alternative.

Assuming a Vancian magic system (VPP, lengthy changing time, 1 Charge on every slot), would the following be a valid construct?

Ring of Spell Storing: Trigger (+1/4) for up to 60 Active Points of Arcane Spells (15 Active Points); Independent (-2), OIF (-1/2), 4 Recoverable Charges (-1/2). Total cost: 4 points.

The wearer expends four charges from his VPP to store spells in the ring with the Trigger so they can be used at some later date. Essentially, waste spells today to gain bonus spells tomorrow, or next week, or whenever. The Recoverable Charges represent that the ring holds four spells, which can be replaced as they're used.

Or maybe...

Ring of Spell Storing: Trigger (+1/4), Usable By Other (+1/4) for up to 60 Active Points of Arcane Spells (30 Active Points); Independent (-2), OIF (-1/2), 4 Recoverable Charges (-1/2). Total cost: 7 points.

...for storing something like a Force Field in the ring and then letting someone else wear it and use the spell. Would that be needed? I suppose without UBO a Self Only spell would affect the original caster no matter who was wearing and activating the ring.

Re: Spell Storage Items

I don't think the item needs the UBO, since basically any universal focus (as oppose to a personal focus) can be handed over to anyone and they are free to use it, although they would still need a caster to store spells for them.

Remember, however, if you give the ring to someone else and they lose your points, then the caster is going to be out four character points unless he manages to get it back.

I don't think the item needs the UBO, since basically any universal focus (as oppose to a personal focus) can be handed over to anyone and they are free to use it, although they would still need a caster to store spells for them.

Remember, however, if you give the ring to someone else and they lose your points, then the caster is going to be out four character points unless he manages to get it back.

I wasn't sure about UBO, since the Focus only provides Trigger, not the Power itself. But I suppose that if an attack can emanate normally from the Trigger point then so can a Self Only Power, assuming someone's wearing the ring.

It would only be given to others in unusual circumstances. It's main function is extra firepower for the caster; essentially a reusable scroll that can have its contents changed with a moment's notice.

e.g. A particular spell has to be cast at a particular location. The spellcaster has the spell but can't reach the location and the person who can reach the location can't cast the spell. Flush a spell out of the ring, replace it with the needed spell, and give it to the other character to use at the location. A scroll would take however long it takes to scribe a scroll in your magic system, assuming the character reaching the location can even use a scroll.

My main issue was that the Bracelet from EI was designed for the Turakian Age magic system, in which every spell is bought individually. I'm looking to create something that works with a Vancian caster's existing VPP instead of creating a new VPP.

Another possibility might be to use Delayed Effect (rather than Trigger) as the Naked Advantage. Seems like that would give you the same result: cast the spell into the item and it holds it for you.

Now I have to go make one of these for my Turakian Age players to find....

I guess I should have finished reading the book before I posted this question. :)

The Spellvault Ring is designed almost exactly like what I posted, although it's 1 Charge and an Instant Reset Trigger.

I'm assuming it was bought 0 END as a GM's call that the resetting Trigger would supersede the 0 END aspect of the Charge, which in this case would only reflect that the Advantage can only apply to one Power each day.

(Yes, I double checked. 0 END is applied to the Naked Advantage, not as a Naked Advantage).

Yes' date=' because NPA's cost END by default, which makes for a clumsy build sometimes.[/quote']

Your radio doesn't cost Endurance, but the optional satellite uplink to reach anywhere on the planet does. :confused:

But I digress. I just initially found it odd that the power was bought with 0 END and 1 Charge, but the way the power is built it makes sense.

Here is a item for you,

Crystal Eye container: A crystal container that is made from a type

of large crystal is hollowed out using magic, and a magical solution

is poured into the hollowed out area, then a virgin's full eyeball is

then placed also into the liquid. The spell in question is then cast

uppon the eyeball, and then a crystal lid is placed over hollowed

area and sealed again with magic. Thus you have a item that

can cast a single spell, kinda like a Beholder. One could tailer the

details to fit the flavor and their needs. Also depending on the

nature of the spell, the uses of the device can be many different

ones and etc. Usually there is a command word to activate or