No Time Power activation?

Neomonk21

Is there a way to make a Power an action that takes no time? Currently I only have the Hero System Sidekick available to me and do not know if this is covered in another book.

I ask because I want to mimic the "powers" of the white twins from the 2nd Matrix movie. They can desolidify at will and doing so makes them unaffected by physical attacks and they can regenerate in that form. They also cannot interact with any physical object in that form.

I guess this turned into a two part post.

1. Is there a way to make a Power an action that takes no time?

2. How would I create their power?

Right now I have the Regeneration power linked with the Desolidification power. Regeneration happens at the end of the phase but only if in the non-solid form.

Thanks for the help!

Re: No Time Power activation?

Turning on powers like Desolidification take a 0 Phase action, so effectively no time. For powers that require an Attack action, the Trigger Advantage (which may not be in Sidekick, or may not have the options that let you do this) can be used.

Keep in mind that making a Power take no time at all can be abusive ("I fire my Energy Blast 500 times since it takes no time!"), so GMs may be wary of the idea.

Turning on powers like Desolidification take a 0 Phase action' date=' so effectively no time. [/quote']

From what I read, though, only actions that take no time can be done on segment on which you have no phase. The twins use their power to avoid physical attacks. I would need to activate it when I am being attacked. I agree that this would be abusive so I was going to give the power a limited number of charges to keep it from being overused. Maybe what I am asking is just too powerful and I should just look for another way of doing it.

As far as I have seen there is no mention of Triggers in the Sidekick.

The White Twins did a lot of Abort Actions to go Desolid.

There is no way to make a Power Activation "take no time" as that would be excessively abusive and effective give you a Speed of 12.

Ah ha! That makes perfect sense. I didn't read the part about Abort Actions yet. I think that is exactly what I will be doing. I will have to abort my next action to be able to Desolidify to avoid the attack.

Thank you both for answering my questions, you were very helpful!

Ok, I think I am going to derail my own post. The write-up for the power Regeneration has been bothering me. It is based off of the power Healing, which costs 10 points for 1d6 of healing. In the book it says you buy Healing with the Advantages Reduced Endurance (+1/2) and Persistent (+1/2) and the Limitations Self Only (-1/2) and Extra Time (-1 1/4).

When I calculate it out, the cost should be 10*(1+.5+.5)/(1+.5+1.25) = 7. Why do they keep it at 10?

Also, shouldn't it be 1d6 of healing every turn and not just 1? They don't mention what reduces it to a flat 1 instead of the 1d6.

(Sorry for being a pain.)

Ah ha! That makes perfect sense. I didn't read the part about Abort Actions yet. I think that is exactly what I will be doing. I will have to abort my next action to be able to Desolidify to avoid the attack.

Thank you both for answering my questions, you were very helpful!

It is also possible (been a bit since I inflicted that movie on myself) that their straight razors had Affects Real World on them.

Regeneration: for your sanity it may be best to accept it and move on for now. It's a wonky construct.

The advantage is you can reapply Regeneration Healing every Post-12, it eliminates the Reuse Time.

The disadvantage is you only heal 1 Body for every "D6" you've purchased, no more and no less.

And they don't keep the cost at 10. 10 is the Points per d6, apply the Advantages and Limitations and you get a cost of 7 Real Points for every 1 Body of Regeneration you purchase. Or there abouts.

Ok, I think I am going to derail my own post. The write-up for the power Regeneration has been bothering me. It is based off of the power Healing, which costs 10 points for 1d6 of healing. In the book it says you buy Healing with the Advantages Reduced Endurance (+1/2) and Persistent (+1/2) and the Limitations Self Only (-1/2) and Extra Time (-1 1/4).

When I calculate it out, the cost should be 10*(1+.5+.5)/(1+.5+1.25) = 7. Why do they keep it at 10?

Also, shouldn't it be 1d6 of healing every turn and not just 1? They don't mention what reduces it to a flat 1 instead of the 1d6.

(Sorry for being a pain.)

The reason that it is 1 Body per turn is that they are using standard effect. You automatically heal 3 character points worth of Body per turn per D6. Since Body costs 2 character points per 1 Body, they round the 1.5 Body you would get back to 1 officially.

It's actually 1d6 of character points. Since BOD costs 2 character points, you need 2 on the die to heal 1 point of BOD.

To me, the round down is implicit. While it says you bought 1d6 healing, that should have a standard effect of 3 per die (1.5 BOD healed). Really, you bought 2/3 of 1d6 (standard effect 2 = 1 BOD) with an unstated +1 advantage that allows the Healing to ignore the usual restriction on repeated use of Healing.

Note that the power has a base cost of 10 (1d6 healing), an active cost of 20 (with +1 in advantages) and a real cost of 7 (after applying the limitations).

Defensive Desolid: Desolidification (affected by Fish and Hamburgers), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Trigger - Perceived attack and opposed DEX roll (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action to reset; +1/2) (80 Active Points)

So. You perceive an attack, make an opposed DEX roll, you go desolid (if you want to). You remain desolid until you get an action, then you can switch it off and reset the trigger (as a zero phase action). Obviously when you switch it off you can attack normally, and, of course you don't HAVE to switch it off. the DEX roll is opposed, so you are not automatically succeeding here - an opponent could be fast enought o hit you befroe you go desolid, or you may not spot an atatck in time.

If that is what you want, there it is, but personally I'd be very wary of allowing it as it is a bit of a game breaker. Might make an interesting villain, wouldn't make an interesting PC, IMO.

Defensive Desolid: Desolidification (affected by Fish and Hamburgers)' date=' Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Trigger - Perceived attack and opposed DEX roll (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action to reset; +1/2) (80 Active Points)[/i']

This is an awesome build (repped). I would be cautious in allowing it, but if your defenses were low enough, and your attacks weren't too high, I might be convinced.

Defensive Desolid: Desolidification (affected by Fish and Hamburgers)' date=' Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Trigger - Perceived attack and opposed DEX roll (Activating the Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action, Trigger requires a Zero Phase Action to reset; +1/2) (80 Active Points)[/i']

So. You perceive an attack, make an opposed DEX roll, you go desolid (if you want to). You remain desolid until you get an action, then you can switch it off and reset the trigger (as a zero phase action). Obviously when you switch it off you can attack normally, and, of course you don't HAVE to switch it off. the DEX roll is opposed, so you are not automatically succeeding here - an opponent could be fast enought o hit you befroe you go desolid, or you may not spot an atatck in time.

If that is what you want, there it is, but personally I'd be very wary of allowing it as it is a bit of a game breaker. Might make an interesting villain, wouldn't make an interesting PC, IMO.

Dang. Wish I'd thought of that. And here I am unable to Rep you for it.